Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old May 23, 2010, 8:53 PM   #1

Default 600mm macro????

Ok, I need a chiropractor. I'm not kidding.

I'm not blaming the gear, but I did something. I have a feeling it was yardwork, but who knows. Maybe it because of a 10 pound macro kit.

I was playing today with the 300mm/EC-20 today at minimum focus. I was shooting off a monopod that was totally collapsed sitting crosslegged on the ground. I'd guess working distannce is around 6 feet.

I don't think I've ever seen a bee with this much pollen.

https://dogsportphoto.smugmug.com/
fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 23, 2010, 10:38 PM   #2

Now, THAT'S a multi-functional outfit. You can shoot your closeups and get a workout...and quite possibly a hernia... at the same time.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2010, 11:53 PM   #3
Super Moderator

i like to use a long tele for closeups too. as long as the subject isnt too small. i used to use my 80-400 on 400 all the time for this. makes a flattering closeup perspective imo. i think you get better magnification than i did too. these look quite nice for a small subject.

i hope you get to feelin better soon, no one likes to tweak their back or somethjing.
Old May 24, 2010, 12:41 AM   #4

What sort of distance would you get if you used the 300mm and the ex-25? I've been using my 25mm extension tube ( a cheap TC with the glass removed) a lot of late with some of my long lenses. For things like bees it is sometimes the only way to get a decent shot not that I have had much luck with that of late.

John
jelow1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2010, 4:05 AM   #5

Sorry to hear about you tweaking your back. Hope you improve very soon.

I keep telling my wife that yardwork is dangerous and better left to those who are young enough to do it. ......she's not buying my argument.

Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2010, 8:04 AM   #6

Greg, impressive & expensive macro kit. I like the pollen on the bee. I shot a carpenter bee a couple years back with a point & shoot on a rose of sharon bush, because the pollen is white on that bush he looked like he was covered in snow.
Charles
cshanaberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2010, 9:40 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelow1966 View Post
What sort of distance would you get if you used the 300mm and the ex-25? I've been using my 25mm extension tube ( a cheap TC with the glass removed) a lot of late with some of my long lenses. For things like bees it is sometimes the only way to get a decent shot not that I have had much luck with that of late.

John
The tube and the EX-25 should have near identical magnifications. The EC-20 is nice to work with. The posted photos were done with autofocus. I was expecting the 1200mm EFL to be tough with a monopod on a windy day, but it was quite easy to use. I should have stopped down a bit more.

Old May 24, 2010, 9:43 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
Now, THAT'S a multi-functional outfit. You can shoot your closeups and get a workout...and quite possibly a hernia... at the same time.
The bees are not out in force yet, but I was thinking it may be an ideal bee in flight lens. It isn't going to replace my 50 macro and 35 macro for day to day shooting.

Old May 24, 2010, 9:48 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
i like to use a long tele for closeups too. as long as the subject isnt too small. i used to use my 80-400 on 400 all the time for this. makes a flattering closeup perspective imo. i think you get better magnification than i did too. these look quite nice for a small subject.

i hope you get to feelin better soon, no one likes to tweak their back or somethjing.
It may take a bit more work to get close with the shorter lenses, but a twist of the camera, or moving sideways a couple of inches is all it takes to change perspevtive. With this lens, you have to litterally pick up and re-establish in anothe place. Not too simple.

Old May 24, 2010, 9:53 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
Sorry to hear about you tweaking your back. Hope you improve very soon.

I keep telling my wife that yardwork is dangerous and better left to those who are young enough to do it. ......she's not buying my argument.

Zig
I just got done at the chiropractor. Its been three years since I was there last, so if it doesn't get any worse than that....

I had Ice on the back much of yesterday, and felt much better this morning. I'm all cracked up now and am using ice and its not much of an issue anymore.