Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old May 26, 2010, 9:38 PM   #1

Default E30 and 12-60 SWD and Auto Gradation

Brought some clothes to change into after work today so I could take a walk in the area of downtown and do some more shooting with my just repaired 12-60 SWD and see how well the metering system and, more specifically auto gradation, worked with the shadows and bright combinations of a downtown area in the late afternoon 90 degree sunlight.

Thankfully, San Francisco isn't going to be nearly as warm as it was here this evening.

I can't say enough how impressed I continue to be with the E30's metering and auto gradation system, especially compared to the gradation systems in earlier DSLR's that often raised shadow levels way too high.

Auto White Balance, Auto ISO, Sharpening +1, Program Exposure with a little override using exposure shift, Auto Gradation and the noise filter set to Standard.

This first image is the office/hotel/shopping center complex I work in. It's a tough job, but someone's gotta work here..

These next two images were shot specifically to see how the exposure system handled extreme ends of the histogram and it did an excellent job.

This next image is a part of the Belo Mansion. Colonel Belo served in the Confederate Army during the Civil War and later formed the Belo Company, which owns the Dallas Morning News. Some of the older Olympus DSLR's I have used (hint, E510...) would have frustrated me with red overexposure warning blinkies going off everywhere on an image like this, but not the E30.

Shot this, again, to see how auto gradation handled an extreme like this. I shot all images this evening RAW+JPEG and could not get the RAW file to look any better than how the camera recorded it. This image was shot with the 50-200 SWD.

I simply can't pass up a building like this when I walk by..

The specs may say 98%, but the finder of the E30 is close enough to 100% that I rarely ever see something creep in along the sides that I have to crop out later. There were flag poles on either side of this image that I carefully left just outside the frame when I composed this shot, and unlike cameras with a 95% or 96% finder, those flag poles stayed out of the image.

Last image as I was walking back towards my building, I saw this and couldn't help myself..

Last edited by Greg Chappell; May 26, 2010 at 10:16 PM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 27, 2010, 7:09 AM   #2

Greg, nice shots, looks like the e-30 does handle auto grad pretty well. I really like the partial framing of the highway with the back-hoe in the last shot. also must be nice to work in a building like that in your first picture.

If you do not mind my asking, why "standard" noise reduction in such brightly lit scenes, why not low or off?

Charles
cshanaberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2010, 7:13 AM   #3

........DANG! Maybe I should get an E-30, I've always thought I just didn't/don't know how to best use my E-3 and here you continuously show that it is really the camera.... hihihi

Hey, thanks again for the demo of just how impressive the E-30 is AND of your skill in using it.

Are y'all ready for SF & Oakland?
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2010, 10:02 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cshanaberger View Post

If you do not mind my asking, why "standard" noise reduction in such brightly lit scenes, why not low or off?

Charles
I could have switched between Low and Standard as I shot, but just chose to leave it set on standard for convenience sake for these images since I was looking for contrasty scenes. The Low noise filter setting and Auto Gradation is not a good combination for shadow noise.

I have also tried using the normal gradation setting and just lifting shadows myself in Adobe camera RAW and prefer the cameras' decisions to mine, but you need to up the noise filter setting to keep noise in the shadows under control.
Old May 27, 2010, 10:03 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by boBBrennan View Post
Are y'all ready for SF & Oakland?
Hi, Bob.

Going to be there June 3-10.
Old May 27, 2010, 12:20 PM   #6

My condolences, Greg, for having to work in such a slum area!

Excellent examples, but I'm really tired of you continually tempting me into justifying a purchase of yet another 4/3rds body. Why don't your ever post any bad photos! LOL!!

Unfortunately, economics restrains me, and dictates that I be satisfied without adding the E-30 body.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2010, 5:16 AM   #7

Hi Greg,

Shots #3 and #4 really are great examples of how well the E-30 captures the
detail in the dark areas of a high contrast image. And you're right, my E-510 would have given me fits dealing with conditions such as this.

BTW, I'm looking forward to your travelog from S.F.

Hope the back is ready for the trip.
Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote