Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old May 29, 2010, 10:42 AM   #1

Default My first maual mode shot

I've been playing around with the manual mode and I finally get it. Here's my first good shot (1/500, f8, ISO320, 149mm):

I think Greg Chappell touched on this in another post, about how in manual mode, the auto ISO option goes away. If this option would be present, I think it would make me a permanent manual mode user I think. I could then set the camera to 1/640 and f8 and then shoot to my hearts content (having the 70-300mm, it would enable me to have enough shutter speed to limit blurring).

Now, I have to look at the exposure meter bar and pick the ISO setting that puts the exposure to the proper levels. When I'm out chasing birds - like this morning, running around chasing a Blue Jay - I find that the step of choosing an ISO setting gives the bird the opportunity to fly away before I can take a picture.

I suppose the argument can be made that the more manual mode is used, the more one tends to be able to figure out the settings that will produce an optimally exposed shot...
Sponsored Links
Old May 29, 2010, 7:52 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TekiusFanatikus View Post
I think Greg Chappell touched on this in another post, about how in manual mode, the auto ISO option goes away. If this option would be present, I think it would make me a permanent manual mode user I think. I could then set the camera to 1/640 and f8 and then shoot to my hearts content (having the 70-300mm, it would enable me to have enough shutter speed to limit blurring).

Now, I have to look at the exposure meter bar and pick the ISO setting that puts the exposure to the proper levels. When I'm out chasing birds - like this morning, running around chasing a Blue Jay - I find that the step of choosing an ISO setting gives the bird the opportunity to fly away before I can take a picture.

I suppose the argument can be made that the more manual mode is used, the more one tends to be able to figure out the settings that will produce an optimally exposed shot...
Yep, I definitely second the auto ISO in manual exposure mode.

Nice-looking image! You really nailed the focus on the precisely right spot.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2010, 12:59 AM   #3

Quote:
..about how in manual mode, the auto ISO option goes away. If this option would be present, I think it would make me a permanent manual mode user I think. I could then set the camera to 1/640 and f8 and then shoot to my hearts content (having the 70-300mm, it would enable me to have enough shutter speed to limit blurring).

I find that the step of choosing an ISO setting gives the bird the opportunity to fly away before I can take a picture.
Couldn't agree more!

Really nice image you have there, the sharpness is great!
Facebook

Olympus E30 | Zuiko 50-200mm SWD | EC-14 | EC-20| EX-25 | FL-50R
piXelatedEmpire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2010, 4:06 AM   #4
Super Moderator

Quote:
I think Greg Chappell touched on this in another post, about how in manual mode, the auto ISO option goes away. If this option would be present, I think it would make me a permanent manual mode user I think.
Although then this wouldn't be a manual mode it would be another part auto mode like Tv and Av, but I agree it would be a nice option to have.

People get bogged down with manual mode as being the definition of a good photographer. I don't see it as that but rather just another mode that allows us to take full control when needed, but don't forget the camera has a very sophisticated system for exposure which as you note works faster than we can.

If you are in a set environment then manual is the way to go especially if there is a background or foreground colour which will mess up exposure, also for tricky light such as this back lit one. I shoot most flying objects in manual, as well as 90% of my indoor work, but for most general things I will use Av.

No matter which mode, you've produced a lovely photo which at the end of the day is our goal!!

Have fun everyone!

See what I'm up to visit my Plymouth Wedding Photography
site or go to my blog.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2010, 11:53 PM   #5

Quote: "about how in manual mode, the auto ISO option goes away...."

Which bodies are you using?? On both my E-330 and E-520 you have the option of shooting in auto ISO when in manual mode. I wonder why Oly would drop that on newer bodies?
Steven R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2010, 1:47 AM   #6

Good question. It had been a while since I even had a card or battery in my E520 so I tried it just to see and, sure enough, auto ISO stayed enabled, but on the newer bodies like the E620 and E30, it does not. As soon as you go to manual mode, the ISO reverts from AUTO to 200. My E1 even stayed in auto ISO when I set the camera to manual exposure mode.....just goes to show how often I probably used either that way that I couldn't remember that.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote