Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old May 31, 2010, 7:57 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
zig-123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Cape Cod, Massachusetts
Posts: 5,156
Default A trip to Fenway Park

A few days ago, a close friend called and asked if I wanted to go to a Red Sox game at Fenway Park. Certainly I said yes as he has a close relationship with a number of people in the organization and always manages to get great seats.

So off we went, yesterday. For those of you who haven't had the opportunity to go, it's a wonderful park small in size, your close to the action, and can hear almost everything going on in the field.

But not all is rosy. The seats are small- not built for people taller than 5'10", they are rock hard, and there are a number of obstructions that pose issues.

The following were all shot from my seat using the E-30 with either the 12-60mm or the 70-300mm.

The 2nd shot shows you the view I had. The post was a bit of a downer.
The net certainly didn't help with taking photos either. But, it's a matter of perspective as my wife, loved the seats. We were sitting in the shade where it was cool and she didn't need sunblock. I, on the other hand, wished we were near the dugouts. Oh well, there's always next year.
Attached Images
     
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 31, 2010, 8:35 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
boBBrennan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Arlington, Texas USA
Posts: 3,566
Default

.........baseball at Fenway, I've always had that ballpark on the list; I've watched so many TV games of there just (mostly) because of the place it is.

Sometimes 1st row back of the dugout doesn't afford the quaint ambiance of a small ballpark, these shots are perfect to show the game really is not that big, only the carnival of it. The 70-300 lens performed well for these.

I would have enjoyed such a 'Royal' opportunity to have been there............
____
boBB
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2010, 8:36 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
tkurkowski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Maryland, USA
Posts: 3,625
Default

Nice photos, Zig. And those were better seats than most folks usually get!

Not long after the Rockies first started playing, I was in Denver on a business trip and some colleagues of mine got me a seat on the rail, between the dugout and first base. After watching the game from there, sitting in the outfield never was the same.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2010, 8:52 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
zig-123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Cape Cod, Massachusetts
Posts: 5,156
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by boBBrennan View Post
.........baseball at Fenway, I've always had that ballpark on the list; I've watched so many TV games of there just (mostly) because of the place it is.

Sometimes 1st row back of the dugout doesn't afford the quaint ambiance of a small ballpark, these shots are perfect to show the game really is not that big, only the carnival of it. The 70-300 lens performed well for these.

I would have enjoyed such a 'Royal' opportunity to have been there............
____
boBB
Hi Bob,

You're right, I find the 70-300mm the perfect lens to bring along to a ballgame. It's small, light and amazingly sharp for it's cost. The focal range is really great to get close to the action (provided you're not too too far away).

And yes, as a lover of baseball, you would enjoy the electricity in the stands. It really is contagious.
Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2010, 8:57 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
zig-123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Cape Cod, Massachusetts
Posts: 5,156
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post
Nice photos, Zig. And those were better seats than most folks usually get!

Not long after the Rockies first started playing, I was in Denver on a business trip and some colleagues of mine got me a seat on the rail, between the dugout and first base. After watching the game from there, sitting in the outfield never was the same.

Ted
Hi Ted,

I know I must sound jaded and spoiled- and I try to be careful about not coming across that way. But, Al, (my friend) usually gets seats four rows behind the visitors dugout (third base). It is an absolutely great location to take pictures of the action on the field. And, as you mentioned, once you sit that close to the field, it's never the same sitting anywhere else.

I need to remind myself that there are a lot of ballparks where, the seat I was sitting in, would be a box seat at those parks.


Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2010, 9:20 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
TekiusFanatikus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: New Brunswick, Canada
Posts: 385
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
And, as you mentioned, once you sit that close to the field, it's never the same sitting anywhere else.
I can vouch for that, but for an NHL rink. I was able to sit in the lower bowl and after that, anything else isn't the same.
__________________
________________________
AKA Dan
TekiusFanatikus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2010, 9:38 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
tkurkowski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Maryland, USA
Posts: 3,625
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
Hi Ted,

I know I must sound jaded and spoiled.
Zig
Not at all. I think you're really lucky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
Al, (my friend) usually gets seats four rows behind the visitors dugout (third base). It is an absolutely great location to take pictures of the action on the field. And, as you mentioned, once you sit that close to the field, it's never the same sitting anywhere else.
Zig
I was thinking some more about that game I attended, and what I remember most about it. The Rockies were a young team that hadn't been in The Show long enough to become aloof. The first baseman would walk over and chat with the fans during periods of inactivity (they changed pitchers a lot in that game - they really were a young team). He noticed that there was a young boy sitting at the rail not far from me. Later he ran hard to catch a foul ball, and he walked over and personally handed it to the boy. If you could have seen the look on that boy's face.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2010, 11:00 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Dallas, Texas USA
Posts: 6,521
Default

Great shots, and a wonderful day to be there.

When I saw that post, it reminded me of some similar type seats I had once in another old classic park..

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2010, 2:30 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
boBBrennan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Arlington, Texas USA
Posts: 3,566
Default

Wrigley Field

Last edited by boBBrennan; May 31, 2010 at 2:34 PM.
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2010, 4:29 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
zig-123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Cape Cod, Massachusetts
Posts: 5,156
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
Great shots, and a wonderful day to be there.

When I saw that post, it reminded me of some similar type seats I had once in another old classic park..
Yes, and I thought of you at one point, knowing how much you would have enjoyed being there.


Nice shot of Wrigley Field.

They don't make them like they used to........
Thank God!!!

Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 7:34 AM.