Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jun 3, 2010, 1:13 PM   #1

Default Shots from last week 510/70 300

Hi guys, Great week for me as I finally got a semi decent shot of a pileated woodpecker of which I've spent two years trying to get. They are far and few between around my area in NY and they are not feeder friendly, at least here.
I also had a couple deer walk up to within 20 feet of me while I was sitting on my atv. Wish I had my tripod with me but they came out pretty well. Many others but these were my favorites for the week and in case of the pileated, for the year : )
Eric
Attached Images

eharrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 3, 2010, 6:02 PM   #2

....very neat! I've never seen this bird, great photo.
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2010, 6:48 PM   #3

Good for you Eric!

The deer are especially nice because they're looking right at you. Nice lighting,
exposure, and framing.

First time I saw a Pileated Woodpecker it was a much larger bird than what I had imagined. But really great to capture on camera as they are so unusual looking (IMO).

Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2010, 8:45 PM   #4

Excellent results, no wonder you are proud!
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2010, 1:13 AM   #5

Love the deer shots. Had a doe and two fawns show up while visiting mom last weekend but alas it was after 8 pm on a rainy day and I didn't have time to set up a tripod so nothing really turned out too good.

The Pileated woodpecker is the largest of it's species on the North American continent now. Like you I have been trying to get a good shot. Came close last year but a little too late in the day. Most of the time I see them they are in dark forests, not really the best place to shoot. Looks like you found one in a bit of an opening. Like Zig says, they are a great looking bird to shoot.

John
jelow1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2010, 4:52 AM   #6

Eric great captures, I to have pleated wood peckers in my area but have never been able to get a good shot. as Zig had mentioned they are of surprising size when you first encounter one, as is their call, kind of alarming the first time you hear it.
Charles
cshanaberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2010, 5:44 AM   #7

Thanks for the comments everyone. The pileated is one hard guy to get pictures of. I have spent quite a bit of time walking in the woods trying to find the nest but when your homerange is around 200 acres it's not an easy task : ) The two ways to find him is the loud drumming and the jungle call, no other bird sounds like the pileated.
Deer are pretty easy to capture in my area, we are inundated with them. Not many huge racked ones but a lot of them. Getting close can sometimes be an issue but this time of year they are almost domestic.
Eric
Old Jun 5, 2010, 6:43 AM   #8

The deer shots are really cool ..nice and sharp and that bird looks pretty amazing!
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2010, 9:02 AM   #9

Thanks Harj, I'm still trying to find the nest but the pileated has a homerange of 200+ acres so it's tough to find. I would love to get some shots of the young ones in the tree.