Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jun 6, 2010, 9:27 PM   #11

how long does it take to upload firmware?
astrickland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2010, 9:28 PM   #12

how long does it take to up load firmware
Old Jun 7, 2010, 12:20 AM   #13

I think I found the problem, It is my flash! I turned it off and my camera works fine turn it on and I may get 2 or 3 shots them it stops working. I did a wedding a few weeks ago and I could smell it getting hot. the camera works fine with a external flash on my hotshoe. what can cause it to do that.
Old Jun 7, 2010, 3:28 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrickland View Post
I did a wedding a few weeks ago and I could smell it getting hot. the camera works fine with a external flash on my hotshoe. what can cause it to do that.
Flashes (at least the internal, and most of the on-camera units) are not meant to be machine-gunned...they are meant for light duty use only.

If it's the case you cooked your internal flash, considering the age of the camera it's not worth getting fixed...you can get a newer camera for not much more than the repair cost, and get newer features in addition.

You didn't say which external flash you got, but if you look in the manual for it there's usually a section that describes how many times you can fire it within a set period of time.

Obviously for the internal flash it's only meant to be used occasionally, and it not meant for large group portrait photography. When I do have to shoot something like that I use large strobes that are fan cooled so they don't overheat.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2010, 4:29 AM   #15

Quote:
how long does it take to up load firmware

Doesn't sound like you need to perform a firmware upgrade But usually, about 15 minutes. Here is an explanation as to how:

This was copied from the Olympus website:

How do I update the firmware in the EVOLT E-500 camera body and Olympus E-System lenses?

Firmware updates of Olympus E-System digital SLR bodies and Zuiko® Digital lenses are performed using OLYMPUS Master® or OLYMPUS Studio® software. Each version of the software has an Update Camera function that is used to initiate the update procedure.

Below are the locations of the update functions in the various software versions:

OLYMPUS Master 1.x: On the opening page, click on Update Camera or, in the Browse window’s menu bar, click on Online Service > Update Camera.
OLYMPUS Studio 1.x: In the Browse window’s menu bar, click on Help > Update Camera.
OLYMPUS Master 2.x: In the Browse window’s toolbar, click on Update/Language.
OLYMPUS Studio 2.x: In the Browse window’s toolbar, click on Update/Language.
Before updating, mount an Olympus Zuiko Digital lens to the camera body and set the camera body’s USB MODE to STORAGE. Connect the camera to a computer via its bundled USB cable. The computer must be connected to the Internet because the download and installation are managed online from an Olympus server. The camera battery should be fully charged. When these prerequisites are met, launch the software and click on the update function.

The update process will first poll the camera and lens to determine what firmware versions are currently installed. It will then ask if you want to search for a newer version. If it finds a newer version, you will be prompted to perform the update. Step-by-step instructions will guide you through the process.

Follow the on-screen instructions carefully. If you deviate from the instructions, the firmware installation may not complete and the firmware may become corrupted. If this occurs, the camera will have to be sent to an Olympus Repair Service Center to have its firmware replaced. Do not do a firmware update during a storm or when there is a risk of losing power because this will also cause a corrupted firmware installation.

Once the firmware is updated, it is not possible to go back to a previous version.

You can check the firmware version of your camera and lens at any time when the camera is not connected to a computer. Open the camera menu, go to the Custom 2 menu (indicated by the icon of a wrench followed by the number 2), scroll to FIRMWARE and toggle right. The LCD will display the firmware version for the camera body and the currently mounted lens.

Lenses can be upgraded individually using the same update process even if the camera body already has the most current firmware. Mount a different lens on the body and repeat the update process as though you were updating the camera body."
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2010, 4:36 AM   #16

Quote:
I think I found the problem, It is my flash! I turned it off and my camera works fine turn it on and I may get 2 or 3 shots them it stops working. I did a wedding a few weeks ago and I could smell it getting hot. the camera works fine with a external flash on my hotshoe. what can cause it to do that.
As Mike pointed out, The in body flash is probably not worth the cost to repair as the repair cost will be greater than the value of the E-500. If your E-500 functions properly with the use of an external flash, then you've solved the riddle.

As for the earlier post on the firmware. You can look to see what your current firmware level is and check the OLympus website for updates. If it were me, I would leave it as it is. The problem with firmware updates is that if you do not perform the update properly, it cannot be undone and the camera will require being sent to Olympus service.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2010, 11:37 AM   #17

Sounds like you have found the source of your problem. I had a similar problem with external flash when I first aquired my e500 (and I use the same cards) the only other idea I had is: Did you format the cards after downloading, in the computer or camera? I haven't done it but I've read that if you format in the computer, that could cause problems when in camera.
As I say though. It sounds as if you've already found your problem!
Good luck
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2010, 6:37 PM   #18

thank you all so much for your help. I did speek to Olympus today it will cost $190.00 to fix it. not to bad but for now it will use my External flash. I will keep you updated. I am looking into a new camera at the begaining of next year, any suggestions are welcome, are Canons better than the Olympus?
Old Jun 7, 2010, 7:16 PM   #19

Quote:
are Canons better than the Olympus?
Haven't you seen the ads:

Seriously though, if you think you wouldn't have had this problem if you had bought a Canon, sorry to say ANY camera would have had the problem you've had.

Actually, don't know how many times I've heard Canon and Nikon users complain their external flash died because they were machine-gunning it.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2010, 8:20 PM   #20

I was not machine gunning it I was taking turns between me internal and my external flashes, and giving the camera several breaks all the time I was shooting. I take very good care of my camera and Olympus said cameras and flashes are made to be used and I should not have had this problem. I am looking at a few of the Olympus I like the E30 and the E600-620. Not sure which to go with.