Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jun 6, 2010, 6:24 PM   #1

Default Olympus e-500 having card error

My e-500 started having a card read error and then started shutting off. I tried my other card same thing, there are no broken pins in the reader. I even took out the card and it will shot 1 or 2 x's and then shut down. Could it be firm ware or is there another problem. I have only had the camera for 3 years and it has been keep up and used properly, No problems until now. PLEASE Help
astrickland is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 6, 2010, 6:37 PM   #2
Administrator

Have you tried a different battery in it?
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2010, 8:10 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrickland View Post
My e-500 started having a card read error and then started shutting off. I tried my other card same thing, there are no broken pins in the reader. I even took out the card and it will shot 1 or 2 x's and then shut down. Could it be firm ware or is there another problem. I have only had the camera for 3 years and it has been keep up and used properly, No problems until now. PLEASE Help

Hello,

Have you tried reformatting the cards yet? The formatting function is explained in the E-500 manual on page 26. If you don't have a manual I suggest you download one from Olympus' website.

Also, what type card are you using? Xd or compact flash.

Does your access door to the flash cards close tightly and properly?

It would be helpful to know what the LCD screen on the back of the camera is showing for all the settings the camera is currently set at.

You may inadvertantly have one of the settings incorrect.

Also, Jim's suggestion to recharge/replace the battery is a good one.

Advise
Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2010, 8:24 PM   #4
Administrator

That seems pretty odd (shutting down after a few shots, with the same symptoms using more than one card).

That's why I'd suspect a power issue of some type if a component isn't failing in it (and a low battery or power related issue could be corrupting the cards, so it would be a good idea to reformat them after figuring it out).

I'd probably try using all dials, switches and buttons, too (since friction from usage may help to clean any oxidation on their contacts), and remount the lens or try a different one if it's not a battery problem.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2010, 8:31 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
That seems pretty odd (shutting down after a few shots, with the same symptoms using more than one card).

That's why I'd suspect a power issue of some type if a component isn't failing in it.

I'd probably try using all dials, switches and buttons, too (since friction from usage may help to clean any oxidation on their contacts), and remount the lens or try a different one if it's not a battery problem.
You'e right Jim,

It is odd that the symptoms persist with more than one card. That's the reason I asked if the op could post the settings as seen on the LCD. That, and your battery suggestion would be my first places to check.

Also, the card may both be full and have no more memory left or they may be write protected which would explain the card error.

Zig
Old Jun 6, 2010, 8:44 PM   #6

it is doing it with 2 different cards, full battery, the card cover door is fine, no bent or broken pins it gave me a D:3c85 code on the screen. and it is killing the battery pretty fast. I even set all the setting to factory settings and I formatted the cards with the computer and camera and had them check at the local photo dealer no problems with the cards. He say it is the camera.
Old Jun 6, 2010, 8:48 PM   #7

cards are empty, I have used this camera for 3 years and know how it works. never having any problems until now. setting are S-AF mf, HQ, ISO are Auto, WB is Auto. I am using Compact flash cards brand is San Disk Extreme 3 2.0gb
Old Jun 6, 2010, 8:56 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrickland View Post
it is doing it with 2 different cards, full battery, the card cover door is fine, no bent or broken pins it gave me a D:3c85 code on the screen. and it is killing the battery pretty fast. I even set all the setting to factory settings and I formatted the cards with the computer and camera and had them check at the local photo dealer no problems with the cards. He say it is the camera.
If you Google D:3c85 error code you'll find a fair number of posts all dealing with this particular problem. Some posts point to firmware upgrades while others state its a shutter release issue.

Based on the varied fixes bandied about, my suggestion is to call Olympus Service and deal with them directly to get this resolved.
Old Jun 6, 2010, 9:04 PM   #9

thank you, I have never updated the firmware do you think that my fix the problem. the pictures it does do are fine. the shutter is working fine it just keeps giving me a card error and then it stop working altogether I have to take the battery out , and put it back in to get it to work again. I am going to call Olympus tomorrow.
Old Jun 6, 2010, 9:11 PM   #10

My recommendation is that before you try to upgrade the firmware you speak with the techs at Olympus. You see, the problem with upgrading the firmware in the E-500 is that the battery MUST BE FULLY CHARGED in order for the firmware to be downloaded properly.

Based on the fact that your battery is getting chewed up quickly, I would be very reticent in suggesting a firmware upgrade. That may only make a bad situation worse.

Good luck.
Zig