Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jun 6, 2010, 9:13 PM   #1

Default I ditched my Minoltas....

I still have a Minolta XM SLR but got rid of my Minolta 7D digital. I still have a number of excellent Minolta MD/MC lenses and so I bought a MD -> 4/3rds adapter. I set the camera to an aperture for the Minolta lens and then mount the Minolta lens and change to P mode. Without a split screen focusing ability, manual focusing is a bit of a gamble but I've nearly got it! With an Olympus E-510...
This with the 50mm f3.5 macro lens set to about 1:3 macro... A closeup of an alium.

This with the 250mm f5.6 cat lens from about 50 feet away. No idea what it's called but it's in the garden.

There's life in any old lens STILL

Last edited by TonySx; Jun 6, 2010 at 9:17 PM.
TonySx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 7, 2010, 6:09 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySx View Post
I still have a Minolta XM SLR but got rid of my Minolta 7D digital. I still have a number of excellent Minolta MD/MC lenses and so I bought a MD -> 4/3rds adapter. I set the camera to an aperture for the Minolta lens and then mount the Minolta lens and change to P mode. Without a split screen focusing ability, manual focusing is a bit of a gamble but I've nearly got it! With an Olympus E-510...
This with the 50mm f3.5 macro lens set to about 1:3 macro... A closeup of an alium.]

Good morning TonySx,

It is fun using legacy lenses on the newer digital camera bodies. The results can sometimes be stunning and very satisfying as well. And Minolta's MD/DC Lenses are fine.

Having said that, It can challenging to manually achieve focus on an E-510 due to the size of the viewfinder. I found that I got my best results when I had the lens wide open, then once getting the lens properly focused, stopped down the aperture to the desired setting and released the shutter. I find that the viewfinder becomes very dim making it difficult to focus if the aperture on the lens is preset.

I am curious as to why you moved away from the 7D. By all accounts it's a very good dslr.

Anyways, have fun with your E-510 and minolta lenses.

Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2010, 12:42 PM   #3

Careful where you post this. I've heard of Fatwas' being issued for less by certain camera groups.

Nice photos, great colours Tony.
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2010, 6:29 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
Good morning TonySx,
It is fun using legacy lenses on the newer digital camera bodies. The results can sometimes be stunning and very satisfying as well. And Minolta's MD/DC Lenses are fine.
Having said that, It can challenging to manually achieve focus on an E-510 due to the size of the viewfinder. I found that I got my best results when I had the lens wide open, then once getting the lens properly focused, stopped down the aperture to the desired setting and released the shutter. I find that the viewfinder becomes very dim making it difficult to focus if the aperture on the lens is preset.
Well, using a lens that won't tell the camera it's aperture and is only manual focus can be a bit irritating! Maybe I can get a split-image viewfinder?
Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
I am curious as to why you moved away from the 7D. By all accounts it's a very good dslr.
Zig
Ah! because I sold it and a couple of lenses for more than I paid. And for more than the E510 plus 2 lenses cost. But it was a very nice camera and I do miss it. I probably should have waited for a Sony A700 but I thought a change wouldn't be too bad. I have bought an Oly 12-60mm which makes the E510 a much much nicer camera.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scouse View Post
Careful where you post this. I've heard of Fatwas' being issued for less by certain camera groups.
Nice photos, great colours Tony.
Only posted here, but I'll watch my back And thanks, re the images!
Old Jun 7, 2010, 7:00 PM   #5

Quote:
Well, using a lens that won't tell the camera it's aperture and is only manual focus can be a bit irritating!

Maybe I can get a split-image viewfinder?

Hi,

Yes, there are split image viewfinders available from overseas vendors normally found on EBay. I bought one for my E-510. And while I was happy that it did perform the way the split screen worked on my old Konica FST-1 viewfinder. The screen messed around with the metering of the E-510 camera.
I took it out and it's sitting on the shelf somewhere.

As for the 12-60mm, that lens will make any of the E-XXX series cameras a joy to use. It's the lens that's on my E-30 75% of the time.

Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2010, 7:37 PM   #6

Quote:
Focusing is not a problem with an E-510..... just use liveview for accurate manual focus!!!!

Surely "P" mode won't work, because the camera can't set the aperture?!!! I use "A".
dnas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2010, 10:18 PM   #7

I installed a split screen on my 500 couple of years back. Fiddly but simple.
I've forgetten what brand now but I could find the papers on it if you're interested.
I heard it could mess with the camera but mine works just fine.
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2010, 6:23 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnas View Post
Surely "P" mode won't work, because the camera can't set the aperture?!!! I use "A".
I'm not sure... As I said, I set the camera's aperture using A mode with an Oly lens attached and then mount the Minolta. Just don't know whether leaving it on A mode or switching to P has much effect... Both seem to give a result.
Old Jun 8, 2010, 1:34 PM   #9

Quote:
I'm not sure... As I said, I set the camera's aperture using A mode with an Oly lens attached and then mount the Minolta. Just don't know whether leaving it on A mode or switching to P has much effect... Both seem to give a result.
In P mode the camera would try to set the shutter and aperture it thinks is needed for the scene. I think if the picture turns out it more a matter of luck since it's as likely the camera will pick a shutter speed for an aperture not close to what you are using. For old glass use either the A mode or manual. I tend to use A mostly but for some things M is better in that you can set the shutter speed for the aperture you want to use and then worry about focusing and stopping down and not have to try and focus with the aperture preset.

I'm glad to hear the Minolta lenses will work, I had seen an adapter on ebay that mentioned something about a pin needing to be shaved and there is no way I'd do that to a lens. If they work that opens up a whole new set of lenses I can shop for.

Have fun with the old glass.

John
jelow1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2010, 7:20 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelow1966 View Post
In P mode the camera would try to set the shutter and aperture it thinks is needed for the scene. I think if the picture turns out it more a matter of luck since it's as likely the camera will pick a shutter speed for an aperture not close to what you are using. For old glass use either the A mode or manual. I tend to use A mostly but for some things M is better in that you can set the shutter speed for the aperture you want to use and then worry about focusing and stopping down and not have to try and focus with the aperture preset.

I'm glad to hear the Minolta lenses will work, I had seen an adapter on ebay that mentioned something about a pin needing to be shaved and there is no way I'd do that to a lens. If they work that opens up a whole new set of lenses I can shop for.

John
I type this Minolta Olympus OM 4/3 Adapter on Ebay and get a result. The most interesting is the most expensive item which claims a focus beep and also confirms your comments re A/P mode. All the others there look like the one I bought and don't need pins shaved.