Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jun 14, 2010, 2:10 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrickland View Post
thanks again Zig ,I just ordered one
Please let us know how you like it. I've thought about buying one although with the E-1 I find it might not be necessary. Still, I'd love to hear and see the results.

John
jelow1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2010, 6:10 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrickland View Post
thanks again Zig ,I just ordered one
Good luck Aimee,

I hope that it works as advertised and am looking forward to seeing your results and assessment of the adapter.

Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2010, 9:07 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
If you're serious about using OM legacy lenses, you may give some thought to getting an adapter with an auto confirm chip. This will work much the same way as a digital Zuiko lens, and confirm when the lens is in focus. You can find them on EBay. Cirrus Adapter and JinFinance are two vendors that offer them.

There are members here that use them. I hope they can comment on the chips effectiveness.........

Zig
Since I have a large number of Oly lens for my OM bodies, as well as Vivitar and Tokina zooms in OM mount, the first 4/3rds adapter I purchased was the focus confirmation one from Jin Finance. It worked okay for a few months, but then the focus chip stopped working. It gives me the focus light and beep even when the subject is way out of focus. I now use it just like a regular adapter, and pay no attention to the focus indicator. I have numerous adapters. The best built ones were made by fotodiox.

However, in practice, the manual focus lens are just not worth the extra work, and the number of "keeper" shots decline when using them. The only manual that I use regularly is the Oly 50mm macro. But it's all just a matter of choice, and the time you take for each shot. I shoot a lot of fast paced things like air shows and birds, and the manual is at a handicap in those situations.

Steven R.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2010, 2:22 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven R View Post
Since I have a large number of Oly lens for my OM bodies, as well as Vivitar and Tokina zooms in OM mount, the first 4/3rds adapter I purchased was the focus confirmation one from Jin Finance. It worked okay for a few months, but then the focus chip stopped working. It gives me the focus light and beep even when the subject is way out of focus. I now use it just like a regular adapter, and pay no attention to the focus indicator. I have numerous adapters. The best built ones were made by fotodiox.

However, in practice, the manual focus lens are just not worth the extra work, and the number of "keeper" shots decline when using them. The only manual that I use regularly is the Oly 50mm macro. But it's all just a matter of choice, and the time you take for each shot. I shoot a lot of fast paced things like air shows and birds, and the manual is at a handicap in those situations.

Steven R.
If you ever tire of having the OM lenses let me know. I'd love to add them to my collection. I still shoot at least half my shots with old glass, even birds. Sometimes it's faster, especially if there is something between you and the bird. I don't have the patience to wait for the camera to figure out what I want to focus on. Not that I'd get rid of my Sigma mind you

John
jelow1966 is offline   Reply With Quote