Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jun 9, 2010, 12:04 AM   #1

Default Test shots with my Olympus E-500

Just recieved my adaptor so I can use my OM lenses on my E-500, It works great, All manual settings and focusing, but really enjoyed it. Got a little sun burnt chasing Drangonflies but it was worth it. I will post more after I resize them, let me know what you think!
Attached Images

astrickland is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 9, 2010, 1:24 AM   #2

I think it a really good shot for first tme out ans sounds like you had a good time with it.
I had a lot of fun when I did that but I've gotten lazy in my old age and they're all back in the bag.

Keep on shooting I'd like to see more. What lens is that shot from?
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2010, 6:19 AM   #3

Hi Aimee,

For the first day out, I'd say this is very well done. As Ken mentioned, it would be great if you could include the lens used in with your post. Always nice to know what you're working with.

I hope you don't mind but I do have a suggestion or two. It looks as though part of the right wing is more in focus than the rest of the dragonfly. That's probably as a result of using a thin depth of field. When shooting anything at close distances, depth of field is important. Here is a tutorial from the Olympus website that does a better job of explaining shooting at close range than I can ever do:
http://www.olympusamerica.com/crm/on...rm_e_macro.asp

As for manually focusing, Not sure what settings you used but, I find it is easier to focus the lens if you leave the aperture setting on the lens wide open (f1.8 or lowest number). This allows the viewfinder to be as bright as possible. Once you feel you've got the lens in focus stop down the aperture ring on the lens down to f8 so that you can increase the depth of field.. I would also set the ISO setting to Auto- I do believe that even in manual mode on the E-500, the camera will allow you to use AUTO ISO.

Hope this helps

Zig
zig-123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2010, 6:35 AM   #4

the settings were at f1.0 lowest setting and the Iso was 400. It would not work on auto ISO to dark the lens is a super-foto 80-205 with a doubler on it older then dirt. LOL. here are a few more pics
Attached Images

Old Jun 10, 2010, 10:41 PM   #5

new pictures
Attached Images

Old Jun 11, 2010, 2:16 AM   #6

Having mentioned a doubler I'm wondering what the shutter speed was for the last one. Not to sound too critical but either the focus is off or there was shake that has caused blurring. As a lover of old glass ( see my old glass thread here ) I can attest to how hard it is to use manual focus on the e-500. I bought an E-1 just so that i could have something easier to focus with. That said, the closer you are to the subject the easier it becomes, I find I can still use the E-500 for macro work as easily as the E-1. The ME-1 eyecup might be worth buying as well. As long as the light is good the magnification helps with focus. But it does make the already smallest DSLR viewfinder even smaller so once out of bright light it becomes a bit of a negative, at least IMO.

Anyway, you're obviously having fun and I'm quite jealous because around here i have yet to see a dragonfly at all this year, let alone get one where I can shoot it.

John
jelow1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2010, 2:24 AM   #7

the wind was blowing so there is some motion going on. I found my close up rings so I will have fun with them as well.
Attached Images

Old Jun 12, 2010, 2:23 AM   #8

Ah, yes, wind. I can't tell you how many shots I have lost because of wind. I like the last shot but what ISO are you using? Is there anyway to use a smaller aperture and still get speeds you can handhold? The one used for the shot doesn't allow for the whole dragonfly to be in focus. Anyway, are these the large dragonflies? I was able to get some shots of smaller ones last summer but never of the pretty blue ones, they would never sit still. What's your secret?

John
jelow1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2010, 5:09 AM   #9

Hi Aimee,

The last shot to me is quite a bit improved over the previous images. Given the size of the viewfinder of the E-500 and the size of the subject you did well in manually focusing the lens.

If you're serious about using OM legacy lenses, you may give some thought to getting an adapter with an auto confirm chip. This will work much the same way as a digital Zuiko lens, and confirm when the lens is in focus. You can find them on EBay. Cirrus Adapter and JinFinance are two vendors that offer them.

There are members here that use them. I hope they can comment on the chips effectiveness. In the meantime, here is a link to an article published by John Foster, an English fellow who has a website known as Biofos.com
The website is a wonderful site to learn about anything and everything to do with Olympus cameras and lenses.

www.biofos.com/cornucop/af_adapter.html

Zig
zig-123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2010, 12:46 AM   #10

thanks again Zig ,I just ordered one

Last edited by astrickland; Jun 14, 2010 at 1:05 AM.