Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jun 9, 2010, 10:56 AM   #1

Default Welcome to all

Hi All,

I just got on line and took a look at the number of new posts all done by newer forum members. It is great to see the level of involvement and enthusiasm.

So, just wanted to say welcome aboard and keep posting. Because through your questions and answers as well as photographs that you post, we stand to all learn and thereby, benefit from it.

Have fun, enjoy your camera and

Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 9, 2010, 11:04 AM   #2

...here! here! Zig

Yes, welcome to new posters....... glad to see you and learn from you & your questions.
____
boBB
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2010, 6:31 AM   #3

Default Oly Forum find

I was reading reviews of 70-300 lens and found this forum through a link. Glad I did! Great forum, lots of knowledge sharing and the posting of pics really is an asset to the text found on many forums.
ZIG has already been a great help on defining lens versions for me, as well as others. I joined the 4/3 Users but don't find that forum as
useful. I hope to have stuff to share later on.

Anyone that does action photography? I would appreciate some input on camera set up. I don't use CAF, so could use some help with shooting car races, drag racing in particular.
guser123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2010, 6:50 AM   #4

Greg Chappell does a great job on thoroughbred horse races, for which the issues would be similar to what you're after. I think he's on vacation right now so you might scan this forum for his previous posts, many of which discuss his settings.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2010, 9:55 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by guser123 View Post
........Anyone that does action photography? I would appreciate some input on camera set up. I don't use CAF, so could use some help with shooting car races, drag racing in particular.
Hi guser123: Welcome to a very friendly and informative group of individuals on this forum.

I haven't shot drag races since the days of film cameras, but I do a lot of air shows and NASCAR races. I find that f8 at 800 is a good starting point, depending on conditions. When I want to show some speed blur (i.e. make the plane propellers a whirring disc, I drop down to 100 and/or drop the time back to less than 1/80 of a second.

If your camera model handles the focus fast enough, let it do the work on CAF. But often, the action is far enough away to set the lens on infinity and manual focus, and you will be fine.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2010, 6:49 PM   #6

Hi Guys !

Apologies for not keeping in touch on the forum... Its been good to see all of the new faces, and Zig .. thnaks for putting up a post saying Hola to everyone!

I got into a dispute with my ISP several weeks ago and that escalated with me cancelling all net access from home. its amazing how large corp's just think its cool to rip you off and when their caught refuse to compensate you. Its been pretty difficult not having a broadband network connection 24/7 - well a slow broadband connection, so I'll be trying to pop in and keep in the loop as much as I can until I'm back on line properly.

So .. here's a couple of pics from me... both from close to the Olympic stadiums in London (E3 + 14-54ZD. RAW converted to Jpeg via LR3beta):

Cheers

Harj

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2010, 7:27 PM   #7

Hi Harj,

Been wondering where you've been. I hope your issue with your ISP is resolved quickly and to your satisfaction.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2010, 9:19 PM   #8

Always good to hear from Harj.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2010, 8:11 AM   #9

hi Harj,

.....I too have been wondering, it is good to see you. That first photo reminds me of my own most favorite, I like it very much and it is from the 14-54ZD too.

Good luck with your ISP difficulties, I've been around that corner, stay in touch the best you can.
____
boBB
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2010, 6:50 PM   #10

Cheers guys.. I'veen keeping tabs as and when I've been able to from work, but even there its got difficult using the web like we were able to.

I'm hoping to get something sorted out soon (I'm not holding my breath though) but it feels like I've been living in the dark ages without my own internet access!
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote