Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jun 10, 2010, 1:14 PM   #1

Default Playing around

I picked up a OM-mount Zuiko 50mm on eBay for $8.50 and I was playing around with it today. While it doesn't allow auto-focus, I think it does a nice job.

My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 10, 2010, 1:53 PM   #2

Default Uno Mas

Aaaaand, one from inside. This is waaaaaaaaay trickier to use than I first thought. It doesn't get some nice images, though.

My Gallery

--
Old Jun 10, 2010, 3:30 PM   #3

Hi Gary,
Great find. At 8.50, the 50mm OM Zuiko is hard not to take a chance. When focused properly, the images that the lens produces are really very sharp with great contrast. As your images so aptly show. Well done.

When I first started fooling around with the E-500, I bought a bunch of Zuiko lenses on EBay as well as converted a few of the Konica Hexanon lenses that I owned to fit on the E-500.

I found out very quickly that I really much preferred to use the ZD Olympus lenses. They just gave me better focused images with a lot less stress.

I will say though, that one lens that I would love to have for portrait work is a Minolta MC 50mm Rokkor X f1.4 prime. I've seen some beautiful results using that lens and would live with having to manually focus that gem.

In the meantime, have fun with your new lens.

Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2010, 5:44 PM   #4

Gary great use of an old lens, images look nice. I been looking to pick up an om 50mm 1.8 & 135mm 2.8 for the e-pl1 as soon as funds allow. but first I am going to invest in an evf for the pen.

Charles
cshanaberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2010, 6:01 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
Hi Gary,
Great find. At 8.50, the 50mm OM Zuiko is hard not to take a chance. When focused properly, the images that the lens produces are really very sharp with great contrast. As your images so aptly show. Well done.

When I first started fooling around with the E-500, I bought a bunch of Zuiko lenses on EBay as well as converted a few of the Konica Hexanon lenses that I owned to fit on the E-500.

I found out very quickly that I really much preferred to use the ZD Olympus lenses. They just gave me better focused images with a lot less stress.

I will say though, that one lens that I would love to have for portrait work is a Minolta MC 50mm Rokkor X f1.4 prime. I've seen some beautiful results using that lens and would live with having to manually focus that gem.

In the meantime, have fun with your new lens.

Zig
Thanks, Zig. Looks like I got a REAL bargain with this li'l bugger. Do you think it's good enough for portrait work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cshanaberger View Post
Gary great use of an old lens, images look nice. I been looking to pick up an om 50mm 1.8 & 135mm 2.8 for the e-pl1 as soon as funds allow. but first I am going to invest in an evf for the pen.

Charles
Thanks, Charles. The price variance is crazy. They go from $5 to $85!! I lucked out with this one. I don't think the guy did a pricing check.
My Gallery

--
Old Jun 10, 2010, 7:23 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjtoth View Post
Thanks, Zig. Looks like I got a REAL bargain with this li'l bugger. Do you think it's good enough for portrait work.

Actually, the Zuiko 50mm 1.8 prime is a pretty good lens for portrait work. Due to the 2x factor, it acts as an 100mm lens. As far as legacy lenses are concerned, I preferred using the Olympus Zuiko 135mm f3.5 lens. Reason being, that I didn't have to get as close to the subject, it is really sharp, contrast is excellent and out of focus area is very pleasant. (IMHO)

Some people use a 50mm f2.0 ZD macro for portrait work with good success.

When I had one, I found that it was actually too sharp- if that's possible. It is a lovely lens but it is so sharp that it captures everything, including wrinkles, warts, etc. At the time I had one, I didn't know as much as I should have about post processing.

The reason I mentioned the Rokkor X 50mm f1.4, is that I have seen some really beautiful portraits taken with that particular lens mounted on an E-3 camera.The out of focus background using that lens is simply lovely.

Zig
Old Jun 10, 2010, 7:28 PM   #7

Quote:
Actually, the Zuiko 50mm 1.8 prime is a pretty good lens for portrait work. Due to the 2x factor, it acts as an 100mm lens. As far as legacy lenses are concerned, I preferred using the Olympus Zuiko 135mm f3.5 lens. Reason being, that I didn't have to get as close to the subject, it is really sharp, contrast is excellent and out of focus area is very pleasant. (IMHO)

Some people use a 50mm f2.0 ZD macro for portrait work with good success.

When I had one, I found that it was actually too sharp- if that's possible. It is a lovely lens but it is so sharp that it captures everything, including wrinkles, warts, etc. At the time I had one, I didn't know as much as I should have about post processing.

The reason I mentioned the Rokkor X 50mm f1.4, is that I have seen some really beautiful portraits taken with that particular lens mounted on an E-3 camera.The out of focus background using that lens is simply lovely.

Zig
So, the Rokkor uses the standard OM:4/3s adapter?
My Gallery

--
Old Jun 10, 2010, 7:32 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjtoth View Post
So, the Rokkor uses the standard OM:4/3s adapter?
Hi Gary,

No, it requires a Minolta MC to 4/3 adapter. The best price that I've seen for one of these is a supplier on EBay known as Jin Finance who makes them for around 50-60 bucks. Not cheap but better than the ones available from CameraQuest. I think those are around 150dollars.

Zig
Old Jun 10, 2010, 7:37 PM   #9

Quote:
Hi Gary,

No, it requires a Minolta MC to 4/3 adapter. The best price that I've seen for one of these is a supplier on EBay known as Jin Finance who makes them for around 50-60 bucks. Not cheap but better than the ones available from CameraQuest. I think those are around 150dollars.

Zig
Gulp. I believe I'll hold off on this one for a spell.
My Gallery

--
Old Jun 10, 2010, 7:41 PM   #10

Don't blame you. I'm still waiting to justify buying as well.

Zig