Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Dec 31, 2003, 4:35 PM   #11

Whatever you do, don't hold your breath! :shock:
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2004, 1:31 PM   #12

I have been in contact with Olympus tech support recently about the FL-50. My question to them was regarding using the FL-50 with an Olympus E-10 which they said was compatable. Part of the reason I asked them about this is because I am planning to purchase an E-1 and also keep the E-10. It looks like I will be able to use this flash on either unit.
gfilgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2004, 5:21 PM   #13

I dug out an old flash! bought about ten years ago for my Minolta film SLR (I'll have to check the brand when I get home) and it works great on my E-1 - a nice surprise!
fporch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2004, 4:54 AM   #14

fporch wrote:
Quote:
I dug out an old flashÂ*! bought about ten years ago for my Minolta film SLR (I'll have to check the brand when I get home) and it works great on my E-1 - a nice surprise!
Using old flashes can be risky...first if the flash is TTL and some pins line up with Oly's TTL holes you might deliver a signal which might damage the camera.

But the more serious reason why not to use old flashes with modern digitals is old flashes had high trigger voltages...my little Starblitz that ran on 2AAs has a trigger voltage of 225 volts.

Actually, the number one reason for damaged Nikons is people using old flashes with high flash trigger voltages.

It could be that with the E-1 being a professional camera that it has protection built in, but personally I wouldn't risk the camera to save a few bucks, and when using studio stobes I'd use something like a Wein Safesync.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2004, 5:34 PM   #15

Hi Mike - THX for that advice. I don't use a flash very often, but will take your advice. I can always get out the OLY C-765 when I need a flash photo.
fporch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2005, 11:58 PM   #16

Have you tried ebay or pricegrabber.com. I found mine on ebay at a great price and is in like new condition. I use it with an olympus C-8080 and it works great.
shady is offline   Reply With Quote