Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Dec 9, 2003, 7:54 AM   #1

Default FL-40 is gone

I was planning on getting the FL-40 for my E-20N, but it appears that model flash is no longer being sold. All I see is the one for the E-1. Does anyone know if this flash (FL-50) is compatible with the E-20N camera?

Beyond that, I'd really rather not pay the pile of money they all want for the new flash. Do any of you have the FL-40 for sale or do you know of a reliable source for one?
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 9, 2003, 12:30 PM   #2

Hi Barb,

Two for sale currently on Olympus Web Ebay site.

http://www.stores.ebay.com/olympusam...otimedisplay=2

Nice thing about buying from Olympus is that you have a 90day warranty on the flash (which takes 4 nimh batteries).

digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2003, 1:13 PM   #3

I just bookmarked the page and will watch the bidding carefully. Doesn't pay to bid up the price on myself.

For whatever reason, it never occurred to me to check dBay. Thank you for spurring me into doing so!
Old Dec 25, 2003, 11:28 PM   #4

Barb,
I don't know if you have found an FL-40 yet, but I can tell you that it's worth looking for. I have one with my E-20N, and love it. If you can still buy the flash bracket and connection cable, I would recommend that too. Well, if you're really feeling flush, go for the Lithium-Polymer battery pack too. I bought the whole setup from a friend, and it all works together so well!
Bert Bigelow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2003, 4:27 PM   #5

Bert, I got my FL-40 for Christmas. It's supposedly a reconditioned one, but you sure could have fooled me. Not a scratch on it and it works perfectly. I paid maybe $20 more for it by buying it direct from Olympus, but they guarantee all their reconditioned products, which was an important point for me.

Not being quite as flush this Christmas as I'd have liked to be, I ended up making a choice between the bracket plus cable and Photoshop CS. I chose the latter. It's a champ, and so is the wonderful flash.
Old Dec 26, 2003, 8:09 PM   #6

Barb,
What a nice Christmas present! PS CS is the ultimate imaging tool. I use Photoshop Elements for image editing and Photoshop Album for my archive which now has about 4500 images.
I'm sure you'll love the FL-40. It's the finest flash unit I have ever used. The illluminsyion is so uniform! I use it with the on-cam flash, and point the FL-40 up at about 60 degrees, so it is used mostly for bounce. I hope yours came with the diffuser over the light. It really helps to spread the light around.
Old Dec 29, 2003, 1:48 PM   #7

Since attaching my new flash I've taken nothing but flash photos, and even though I have yet to learn all its ins and outs, I'm so impressed with how it functions on automatic. I, too, keep it mostly at the 60-degree angle, though I've changed it, using my limited pool-playing knowledge to figure where the light will hit the subject. I've also played with bouncing it off something on the side of the subject, but so far, I've created no masterpieces. Have to take lots of junk photos, trying to figure out exactly why they're junk, before learning how to take decent photos.

Yes, it came with the diffuser, but I don't know when I'd do better using it. Any situations where you've found it indispensible?

Yup, I'm also in love with this flash.
Old Dec 31, 2003, 1:38 AM   #8

Barb,
Sorry for the delayed response. For some reason I did not get an Email notification of your post.

I leave the diffuser on ALL the time! If I ever had occasion to take pictures of large groups or in a very large room, I think I would take it off to maximize the light output. But most of my flash photos are small groups, family, etc.
I much prefer to work in available light, so I am usually not overjoyed with the results of my flash photography, but I do think that using the FL-40 has gotten me much better results than any previous equipment I've ever used. Which is not saying much, really.
Bert
Old Dec 31, 2003, 3:07 PM   #9

So the diffuser does just as its name implies. My take on this is that, if I want a slightly softer light, I'd use it, but if I'm photographing something like a still life in which I want more sharply defined shadows, I'd go without the diffuser.

What I should probably do is set up a still life that contains both sharp angles and curves, then do all my tests from one position, trying to keep settings the same while altering both bounce angle and diffuser/no diffuser.

Yes, I should probably do that. I probably won't, but I probably should. :roll:
Old Dec 31, 2003, 3:12 PM   #10

Barb,
Sounds like a great idea. I am anxiously awaiting the results of your tests.