Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jun 12, 2010, 4:54 PM   #1

Default Coffee Roasting

Visited my cousin a couple of weeks ago and witnessed something new to me, coffee roasting. The first photo is the entire machine with it's chaff collecting chimney included. The second shows the major functional parts, the hopper, the roasting drum and the cooling tray. The process begins with pre-heating the drum and putting the raw beans into the hooper. Once the the pre-heat is complete the beans are dropped into the rotating drum and this model has has a sight glass on the front for visual monitoring of the process (3d photo) although much monitoring is with audible clues. The "first crack", which sounds like popcorn popping, indicates the bean has fully expanded and released the chaff as well as indicating that the water has been driven out. Most variation in roasting is the degree of time from the first crack to the second crack which when points to the caramelization of the sugars. At the desired degree of doneness the coffee is transferred to the cooling tray (4th photo). Arms sweep the coffee around to aid the cooling and also allows any remaining chaff or fragments to fall through the grating.

A. C.
Attached Images

ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 12, 2010, 9:30 PM   #2

interesting story & pics, I drink coffee every day & had no idea this was how beans were roasted.

Charles
cshanaberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2010, 10:28 PM   #3

mmmmmmmmmmm... I can almost smell that wonderful aroma! Nice series!
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2010, 10:30 PM   #4

Not only interesting, but your photos seem to convert machinery into art. Good job.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2010, 10:59 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cshanaberger View Post
interesting story & pics, I drink coffee every day & had no idea this was how beans were roasted.

Charles
I grind and drink coffee every day and had no idea about the roasting process. I understand now there is another processing sequence at the farm or coop level after the bean is picked to get it to the green bean state.

I can now also testify that there's no comparison between fresh roasted and anything on the grocery self or even in most specialty shops.

A. C.
Old Jun 12, 2010, 11:18 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven R View Post
Not only interesting, but your photos seem to convert machinery into art. Good job.
Thanks for your comments but it's not all my doing. I've looked at other small commercial roasters on the web and the manufacturers seem to try to make them look elegant in a retro sort of way. Presentation must count in the business.

A. C.
Old Jun 13, 2010, 7:16 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac.smith View Post
Thanks for your comments but it's not all my doing. I've looked at other small commercial roasters on the web and the manufacturers seem to try to make them look elegant in a retro sort of way. Presentation must count in the business.

A. C.
I'm guessing that small machines like that are specifically intended for boutique coffee shops, the owners of which very much want them to be seen by the customers.

Those are very nice photos.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2010, 2:00 PM   #8

That would seem reasonable however those I know about, except for this one, are installed in the basements. This one is installed in a kitchen area off of the display room of Toraasonglass Studio so it is in an area where the public can see it at least some of the time.

A. C.
Attached Images

Last edited by ac.smith; Jun 13, 2010 at 2:03 PM.
Old Jun 13, 2010, 3:28 PM   #9

Impressive photos, AC-

Very well done with an artistic taste.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2010, 10:12 PM   #10

Thanks Sarah. I haven't reach the level of comfortability with the e620 that I'd like to have. That's not a camera problem but rather the nut behind the viewfinder.

A. C.