Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jun 13, 2010, 8:38 PM   #1

Default Back in the heat of Dallas...

...and back to my normal weekend visit to the track during thoroughbred season.

Today I used RAW capture and ACR/Photoshop CS4 and do love how my default Camera RAW parameter settings stay true to how the images look on the back LCD at the time I shot these. The only adjustments I made in ACR were varying amounts of cropping, sharpening, in some cases a small tweeking of the Recovery slider to deal with slight cases of highlight clipping and dialing back of the blacks slider in some cases to subtely open up shadows.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Jun 13, 2010 at 8:50 PM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 14, 2010, 11:03 AM   #2

As always... very nice shots!
Old Jun 14, 2010, 9:52 PM   #3

All excellent shots Greg. Love that first one as an example of "Does a horse get all four hooves of the ground while on the gallop?"

Seem strange these days to think that, that was even a question. Saw a great show on TV a while back on the lengths they went through to prove that it did.

Just look at the musculature on that beast!!!!
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2010, 5:21 AM   #4

Hi Greg,

As always, another excellent day at the races with your camera. Am I mistaken, or is this the 1st time you've taken the E-30 to the track?

The reason for the question is that these images seem to have more "pop" to the colors than I remember with the E-1. Probably a figment of my imagination.............

Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2010, 8:07 AM   #5

"....awwwww, it was the light Zig! It was just the most beautiful (BUT HOT) day", said I.

Great photos Greg and enjoying your SF trip photos too..............

boBB

Last edited by boBBrennan; Jun 15, 2010 at 4:38 PM.
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2010, 12:24 PM   #6

Hi Greg

These may be the best ones you've posted so far .. and what makes them stand out even more than normal is that colours look great and that some have that 3D effect to them as if the horses are going to jump out off the page!

Harj

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2010, 1:24 PM   #7

Thanks, guys.

I used the 50-200 exclusively that afternoon and, with the exception of one race where I used f4.5 because I accidently hit the dial, I kept the aperture on f4 to try and create some separation from the background.

Even using ISO 200, the shutter speeds stayed within a range where the top 1/2000 shutter speed of the E620 would have worked, but knowing I had the even faster maximum speeds of the E30 available was nice, and the AF system of the E30 is much more responsive in single AF as I feathered the release to shoot fast individual images. Next time, I may just open it up all the way to f3.5 and see what happens.

I was very pleased with the color aspect of these as well. Hard to say it could have been anything other than one change I made from previous recent trips, which was to not use auto gradation and shooting RAW, so I had to make the decisions and implement how much to open up or not open up the shadows. I made no color adjustments to these in the converter.
Old Jun 15, 2010, 2:34 PM   #8

...whatever it was, doit again! The last (grey horse) is a WOW! I have looked at it so manly times, it does for me exactly what Harj says.
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2010, 4:51 PM   #9

That grey horse was one of my seven $2 bets for the day (big spender) that came close to paying off, but just fell off and finished second.