Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jun 16, 2010, 6:52 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarjTT View Post
Hi Greg

Some cracking pics .. and i was a bit surprised you were using Viewer to process the RAW files. Whats your take on the filters .. ? The pics look good but could anyone do the same effect in say LR/CS/capture 1 or studio instead ?
Absolutely, sure they could. I've played with doing it a few times, setting up a pinhole-type effect and soft focus can be done several different ways, and to any unlimited degree vs. Viewer/Studio's set filters. One could easily work out the steps in Photoshop and set up executable actions, then "fade" the effect to taste and be much happier, but I can also see why many would be just as happy to set the effect up in-camera, shoot JPEG and be done with it, especially less advanced users of the micro 4/3rd's bodies.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2010, 7:24 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelow1966 View Post
Anyone know why AF doesn't work with the longer lenses, the 300mm or the 50-200, or 90-250?
John
To paraphrase a previous President, define "Autofocus".

The EX-25 will autofocus with my 50-200 but only if you get the lens into a position where the lens is able to focus at all. That distance depends on what focal length you've chosen and for a particular FL you have to physically move the camera to be close to the right distance, due to the small DOF. After you do that it will autofocus if you want it to. I suspect Oly says "MF" simply because otherwise folks may assume that all you have to do is aim at the subject, regardless of your position, and the camera will take care of the rest.

Ted

PS: Manual focus is better anyway. For macros you really want to choose what is in focus and AF isn't particularly helpful for that.

Last edited by tkurkowski; Jun 16, 2010 at 7:47 AM.
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2010, 8:32 AM   #13

Quote:
I was thinking of using it with my Sigma 135-400 to make it a good summer bug lens but w/o AF I might as well just stick with my old glass and a tube.

John
The advantage of a long lens + the EX-25 is that you can be farther away from the subject and achieve focus. This is especially good for bugs, and even better for nasty ones.

If I were you I'd try the Sigma with the EX-25. If the Sigma autofocuses with your Oly cam I'm guessing it probably will with the EX-25 but only within a narrow distance as I described above. And I'm also guessing you'll find manual focus to be better anyway.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2010, 11:10 AM   #14

Quote:
Thanks Zig. I wish they listed aftermarket lenses as well but I wouldn't really expect them to. Anyone know why AF doesn't work with the longer lenses, the 300mm or the 50-200, or 90-250? Not that I own any of those but I was thinking of using it with my Sigma 135-400 to make it a good summer bug lens but w/o AF I might as well just stick with my old glass and a tube.

John
I just tried the Sigma 135-400mm lens and it does indeed Auto Focus when used with the EX-25 tube. But as Ted mentioned, in a rather limited capacity. I found that it achieved focus on anything within a distance of 9-10ft. Going beyond that and the lens wouldn't achieve focus.
Attached Images

zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2010, 11:42 AM   #15

Thanks for the info guys. I have used a 25mm extentsion tube a lot with my old glass so I'm aware of the limited working range, good to know that if i want I could use AF with some practice. Still, I'm surprised that the range with the Sigma is 9-10' since it will AF w/o the ex-25 down to 7' or so. Was that shot at 400mm Zig?

John
jelow1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2010, 12:19 PM   #16

Quote:
Thanks for the info guys. I have used a 25mm extentsion tube a lot with my old glass so I'm aware of the limited working range, good to know that if i want I could use AF with some practice. Still, I'm surprised that the range with the Sigma is 9-10' since it will AF w/o the ex-25 down to 7' or so. Was that shot at 400mm Zig?

John
Hi John,
Yes, I set the lens to 400mm. the image is straight OOC-no cropping.
As for minumum/maximum AF range, I didn't attempt that. This was a quick and dirty attempt to determine if the sigma would even achieve focus.

If I have time, I'll go out again and try to be a bit more specific.

Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2010, 1:14 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
Hi John,
Yes, I set the lens to 400mm. the image is straight OOC-no cropping.
As for minumum/maximum AF range, I didn't attempt that. This was a quick and dirty attempt to determine if the sigma would even achieve focus.

If I have time, I'll go out again and try to be a bit more specific.

Zig
That'd be great but if you don't have time, no biggie. While I can't say anything about AF I did a test tonight with my homemade 65mm tube and at 400mm the Sigma will focus from about 3-6 or 7 feet. It's too bad Oly doesn't offer a tube set as 400mm at 3' would be an awesome bug lens.

John
jelow1966 is offline   Reply With Quote