Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jun 15, 2010, 6:20 PM   #1

Default Olympus E520 with Canon Tamron 70-300mm

Hi all,I'm a 20 years old boy from Italy (sry for my bad english)

I register to this site because I see you are very helpful.

I've got an Olympus E520 with the classic 14-42mm.Now i am interested for a cheap tele and i found the Tamron 70-300mm (i know that it doesn't fit because it is originally designed canon).

Why am i interested to this lense?Because in the future i could buy a Canon and so i could use this lense without any adapter.

My question is:

Is it a good job putting the tamron on my camera body through an adapter?

I am not interested in AF (i know i will lose it)
1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 15, 2010, 8:11 PM   #2

So why do you have an Olympus camera if you are thinking of switching to Canon? You are not yet invested in the Olympus system to such a degree that switching would be a bad thing but switching would be rather counterproductive. And since it seems that money is a major factor for you switching would cost you a bit - the price of whatever SLR you choose to be exact.

I cannot comment on the pros/cons of the Tamron considering I have never used it.

But if I had to give an opinion I would simply advise you to get the Olympus 70-300mm which is much more expensive than the Tamron, but you do get what you pay for. I'm also pretty sure that you want AF (I know you say you don't) but without AF what could you possibly be planning to shoot with a telephoto?
miskur505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2010, 9:09 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by miskur505 View Post
So why do you have an Olympus camera if you are thinking of switching to Canon? You are not yet invested in the Olympus system to such a degree that switching would be a bad thing but switching would be rather counterproductive. And since it seems that money is a major factor for you switching would cost you a bit - the price of whatever SLR you choose to be exact.

I cannot comment on the pros/cons of the Tamron considering I have never used it.

But if I had to give an opinion I would simply advise you to get the Olympus 70-300mm which is much more expensive than the Tamron, but you do get what you pay for. I'm also pretty sure that you want AF (I know you say you don't) but without AF what could you possibly be planning to shoot with a telephoto?
Anything he wants. I've shot MF telephototo with my e-500 and now e-1 for two years. Much easier on the e-1 than the e-500 (same would be true for the 520) but it's not that hard with practice. It's easier to shoot something at 300mm MF than it is a landscape at 50mm.

As for using a Canon mount tamron, don't. If this is a modern lens you'll lose all aperture control. Either buy the above mentioned Oly 70-300 or buy a used MF lens like the Tamron SP 60-300 and use the apropriate adapter.

John
jelow1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2010, 9:14 PM   #4

The tamron is not a great lens, if you were going to go with a canon. It would not be really a great lens for it.
Old Jun 15, 2010, 10:32 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelow1966 View Post
Anything he wants. I've shot MF telephototo with my e-500 and now e-1 for two years. Much easier on the e-1 than the e-500 (same would be true for the 520) but it's not that hard with practice. It's easier to shoot something at 300mm MF than it is a landscape at 50mm.

As for using a Canon mount tamron, don't. If this is a modern lens you'll lose all aperture control. Either buy the above mentioned Oly 70-300 or buy a used MF lens like the Tamron SP 60-300 and use the apropriate adapter.

John
Well if you want to shoot anything but landscapes you really do want AF. It is extraordinarily hard to get accurate MF while shooting sports or wildlife. But if you don't really shoot these things too often then MF is fine, but for someone like me who does shoot sports and wildlife AF is a necessity.
miskur505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2010, 2:11 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by miskur505 View Post
Well if you want to shoot anything but landscapes you really do want AF. It is extraordinarily hard to get accurate MF while shooting sports or wildlife. But if you don't really shoot these things too often then MF is fine, but for someone like me who does shoot sports and wildlife AF is a necessity.
Yeah, I agree that for things that are moving AF is pretty much a must with a DSLR. If we were talking about a film camera I'd disagree since it was done for years w/o any AF but they had decent focus aids. I shoot wildlife and birds all the time with a 300 and 400mm MF lens. Then again, I'm not shooting things I'm not likely to ever see again so a missed shot isn't a big deal. Now if I were on a safari or such, yeah I'd probably only use my AF lens. Even if it a bit of a bore to use.

John
jelow1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2010, 3:32 AM   #7

Um, I think the point here isn't autofocus but focus period. If that Tamron is a legacy Canon mount, the flange distance is such that after adding the 4/3 adapter the lens is too far away from the sensor to be able to focus to infinity. A point that is made by all reputable vendors of canon-to-4/3 adapters.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2010, 4:10 AM   #8
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911 View Post
...Why am i interested to this lense?Because in the future i could buy a Canon and so i could use this lense without any adapter...
I'm assuming you mean you want to use a Tamron EF Mount (Autofocus Lens) on your Olympus via an Adapter; then use it without an adapter on a Canon dSLR (since a manual focus MD Mount Canon lens would not work on a Canon dSLR without an adapter).

You would lose both Autofocus *and* Aperture Control trying that approach. That's because the Aperture with modern Autofocus Lenses like that is controlled by the camera

There is no Aperture Ring to set your f/stop manually on an EF Mount lens (Aperture Control with EF Mount lenses is Electrically controlled, and there would be no communication with the camera via that type of adapter)

So, the aperture would always be wide open (smallest available f/stop value).

If you could live with that, it should work, *if* you can find an EF Mount to 4/3 Body adapter. But, it sounds like a waste of money, given that you would lose both AF and Aperture Control, and the lens is not that good anyway.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote