Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jun 15, 2010, 8:16 PM   #1

Default A little look book... "The Anika Hascke 2010 Collection"

Last week saw me ending up in studio and doing a shoot for my designer friend Anika's look book. This time, we had hired a pro model for the day and the lighting setup was very simple - one light with a large Octogon softbox high to the models left hand side. It was a long day 10 hours shooting 8 outfits but I think everyone inc.myself have been pleasantly surprised hwo well the pics have turned out.

All taken with the E3 + 35-100F2 and the 14-54Zd, shot in RAW, jpeg conversion LR3 Beta and retouching in CS. These are just low res versions of the final pics ..

"The Anika Haschke 2010 Collection"

1. "Liz"

I learnt a lot on the day.. one of those things was that working with a pro model is something completely different and they can just help to make things happen on the shoot. So from now on, I'll be working more often with a pro model thats had a couple of years of experience infront of the camera.

Model .. Liz Scot
MUA/Hair - Alice Pollock
Photographer - me
Wardrobe/Styling - Anika Haschke

Last edited by HarjTT; Jun 15, 2010 at 8:21 PM.
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 15, 2010, 9:22 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarjTT View Post
................. It was a long day 10 hours shooting 8 outfits but I think everyone inc.myself have been pleasantly surprised hwo well the pics have turned out.....................
Oh, you poor guy. You must be exhausted. Had to spend 10 hours with a beautiful women, taking great photos. What a horrible experience!! LOL!!!!
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2010, 9:25 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven R View Post
Oh, you poor guy. You must be exhausted. Had to spend 10 hours with a beautiful women, taking great photos. What a horrible experience!! LOL!!!!
Heart-breaker, ain't it? heheheh Nice shots!!
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2010, 10:31 PM   #4

Harj, I've noticed since I've been posting here of how your shots keep improving. These are top quality fashion shots and you're right, top shots require top models. Even I can see the difference.

So can I come over for your studio opening...???
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2010, 9:44 AM   #5

That last image makes my knees hurt!

What a gorgeous lady, captured and processed beautifully.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2010, 10:00 AM   #6

Harj,

your output is as good as anything I've seen anywhere.
Really wonderful work.

I'm glad that you're posting again as this surely is eye candy.

Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2010, 12:20 PM   #7

....he said, "I'm glad that you're posting again as this surely is eye candy."

YEP ! me too and it is and the one that, for me, is the mostest of these is #2 down. OMGoodness!

boBB
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2010, 5:35 PM   #8

Hi Guys

Glad you all like the pics. I really wanted to share these with you all but had to wait a wee bit as I needed to get the first batch to the girls so that they could see them first and let me know if there was anything that wasn;t right.

For retouching, esp skin LR for the basic stuff has a really good tool -> brushes -> soften skin. Its basically the clarity tool but with the ability to go the other way and you can just mask out the bits you want it to do its magic on (one of Kelby's tips!). It doesn;t work on every image but it'll be good for 60-70% of them and its so damn useful. Also, I've found it easier to try and fix the spots/imperfections in LR first - just reduces the amount you need to do in CS. I still just try to keep it to the minimum.

Regards Liz, she is one funny girl to be around .. and yeah its a totally horrid experience .. lol! Her experience really showed and giving her directions was so easy and better still she would just bounce ideas around to see how they worked. Lots of eye contact with the camera when it was needed.

On a slightly more serious note, by the 9th hour I was just burnt out taking any new shots and boy do your knees and back hurt the following day!
Old Jun 17, 2010, 6:49 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarjTT View Post
the lighting setup was very simple - one light with a large Octogon softbox high to the models left hand side.
These are great, Harj. But I'm amazed that there was no reflector on the right - the lighting seems too well balanced for just one source. Maybe I don't appreciate how large an Octagon softbox is. But I've never seen this kind of lighting from just one single source.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2010, 7:00 PM   #10

Hi Ted

I originally was thinking of using a second flash to the right but Adrian, recommended against it, saying that when he shoots a look book one light source is all thats needed. So I took his advice and went single flash+ large softbox to the right. I'm pretty shocked too, I was about to use a large reflector at the start as well .. but the first couple of test shots just showed it weren;t needed. One thing I did do was make sure that once we had the lighting right.. put some masking tape on the floor so that we knew where X marks the spot was. The Box is pretty big.. say about 3ft in diameter .. may be even bigger. One other change was that the studio upgraded to Profoto lights @ 1200 a flash head and replaced the original Bowens are just 500 a flash head! The light from the profoto's s just spot on and I think they have definitely made a big difference. The E3's WB was always way off with the Bowens but now its not as bad.. a big improvement.

Harj

Last edited by HarjTT; Jun 17, 2010 at 7:15 PM.