Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jun 18, 2010, 9:20 AM   #1

Default The best laid plans

Hi all, well I am back from Shenandoah National Park & complete failure of disciplined photography. With months of planning for shooting fawns in Big Meadows within the park I have returned home with Zero! fawn pictures. This being my first trip to a National Park, about 15 mins. into the park with a stop at the first of 75 overlooks along the 105 mile long Skyline Drive any form of organized and thought out photography succumb to me instantly being transformed into full "tourist mode". All I can say after 3 days of being a "tourist" in the park, is it was about 3 months to short of a visit. the shear amount of subjects to photograph from uncountable species of wild flowers to the shear limitlessness of framing possibilities for the overlooks is truly indescribable or to even make a feeble attempt to show through images. in three days I managed a little over 4000 images 99% of which were hand held snapshots. here are a few samples shot with either the e-3 or 420 with various lenses. Again they may not be technically correct for reasons described above but meant as an indication of the "challenges faced with".

Charles

Last edited by cshanaberger; Jun 18, 2010 at 9:40 AM.
cshanaberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 18, 2010, 9:48 AM   #2

It happens to all of us. I could imagine being overwhelmed in such an environment. As we travelled up Mt. Tamalpais just north of San Francisco just last week, and on the drive down Highway 1 between San Francisco and Carmel, I was pulling over seemingly around every corner when a new view presented itself. We actually wound up splitting the drive down Highway 1 over two days just to give us a little more time and it still was not enough.

It's really easy to have a little discipline when it's a location you know you'll have several opportunities to go back, or can go back when the weather conditions are just right. I don't know about you and visiting this national park, but it may be 5/10 years or longer, if ever, before I go back to Northern California, other than I was checking airfare and tickets last night to possibly go back for 2-3 days to see a couple of Giants' baseball games in September!
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2010, 10:50 AM   #3

Same thing happened to me when we went to the Gatlingburg area for the first time. The second time I was a little better prepared but still forgot equipment I KNEW I would need. Hopefully, there will be a next time. And, if there is, you can bet I'll be making a checklist WEEKS in advance. The Smokies overwhelmed me this time. They will probably overwhelm me next time but, I'll be better prepared.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2010, 11:54 AM   #4

Default Try the Blue Ridge Parkway

Shenandoah National Park is a wonderful place but if you can go farther south, many of us like the Blue Ridge Parkway even more. Being farther from metropolitan areas it's less crowded, and it is actually possible to go through it when the autumn leaf colors arrive. (You can't get anywhere near Skyline Drive at that time, unless you have access to a helicopter...)

I did enjoy your photos.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2010, 12:39 PM   #5

Greg & Gary, glad to see I am not the only one this has happened to it was for sure sensory overload on all accounts the sights, sounds, smells made it tough to concentrate on taking thought out images. I hope for sure to get to return, as it really isn't that far from my house (almost exactly 200 miles to northern entrance at Front Royal) its more getting the time to do so, is the issue.

Ted, Shhh! I was trying to keep the Blue Ridge Parkway part a secret.
Actually though I stayed at a cabin built by a Civil War solider less than a half mile off the blue ridge parkway at mile post 16 for 2 of the 3 nights I was there. Also to be honest the 2nd & last pics are from an overlook on the BRP at mile post 9 called Ravens Roost. And the only hike I managed was on the last day to a mountain top at mile post 6 on the BRP called humpback rocks, which I will post some pics and thread from that later on.

Charles
Old Jun 19, 2010, 7:37 AM   #6

At least you got out and about, and it sounds like you had a wonderful time.

I, on the other hand, had to axe my yellowstone trip

https://dogsportphoto.smugmug.com/
fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2010, 8:36 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by fldspringer View Post
I, on the other hand, had to axe my yellowstone trip
Why?

Ted
Old Jun 19, 2010, 10:27 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post
Why?

Ted
Long story made short, I had to let go of an employee and start the search for the replacement. The timing of the trip made it impossible. I'll get there, god willing, when things get stable again.

https://dogsportphoto.smugmug.com/
fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2010, 10:42 AM   #9

Greg, I am sorry to hear you had to cancel your trip, I hope you will get to replan it soon, maybe with some luck you will miss the tourist peak season & will get some people free landscape shots.

I did have a wonderful time & truly wore myself out getting up at 4a.m. everyday and staying out well past dark every evening trying to absorb as much as I possibly could. I have 2 wedding jobs & some senior portraits I shot before I left that need processed so I won't get to truly go through my Shenandoah pics for a week or so.

Charles
Old Jun 19, 2010, 7:08 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by cshanaberger View Post
Ted, Shhh! I was trying to keep the Blue Ridge Parkway part a secret.
Charles
Yep - you're right, I'm sorry for mentioning that.

OK, EVERYONE WHO READ THAT MESSAGE, FORGET I EVER MENTIONED THE BLUE RIDGE PARKWAY. IT'S UGLY, CROWDED, ETC., ETC. ETC.

Ted