Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jun 19, 2010, 10:31 PM   #1

Default Just another Saturday at the track..

E30 and 50-200 SWD. With races today both on the dirt course and the inner track, I used the EC20 with the 50-200 when the action moved to the further away turf course.

Shot RAW and processed in ACR/Photoshop CS4, when the 50-200 was used by itself the aperture was set to f3.5. When the EC20 was used, it was set to f8, which is 1/3 stop down from the wide open f7.

50-200+EC20..

50-200+EC20..

50-200+EC20..

50-200+EC20..

50-200+EC20..

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 20, 2010, 5:43 AM   #2

Greg, great shots as usual, I still am amazed at the modeling you are able to capture in the muscles of the horses even though it appears your shooting in midday sun.
Number 7 is my favorite for this series, like the way you captured 2 of the horses totally airborne over the turf, great action shot.
Charles

Last edited by cshanaberger; Jun 20, 2010 at 5:46 AM.
cshanaberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2010, 11:44 AM   #3

Hi Greg,

Another in a series of really well captured and framed images.Because the images are all so sharp and, as Charles commented, the muscles always so detailed, I think I'm feeling the excitement of the horses racing around the track.

Really well done.
I do have a question, how much moving around do you do when you're at the track?

Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2010, 1:45 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
I do have a question, how much moving around do you do when you're at the track? Zig
Thanks, Zig.

The moving around these days is weather-dependent.

The first couple of months of the season (April-May) I usually do much more than I am doing these days.

There are usually either 9, 10 or 11 races any one day, with typically a 25 minute or so period between each race. A "cycle" of each race consists of the horses being walked in from the stables to the paddock area to be saddled, then paraded around and the jockeys mounting up before the walk out to the track. They then have a short warm-up before being loaded and started. After the race, you can go to the winners circle and jockey weigh-in area to get a few shots if you are close to the finish line.

The paddock area is the first place you can see as a fan. When the weather cooperates, I will be in the paddock area to do some shooting. That's where you see the images of the jockeys I shoot or the horses being saddled, then make my way to the area on the track where I want to capture my race images, which is usually just off the final turn where there are typically few to no spectators. Anywhere near the finish line is usually a fight to get a good angle and I choose to avoid that area. Moving from the paddock to the track and so forth over the course of a race day, you can get a good workout.

With the change to hot weather I usually limit trips to the paddock area to maybe 1-3 races and choose to go to the air-conditioned clubhouse between races!

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Jun 21, 2010 at 1:49 PM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2010, 4:42 PM   #5

...yep, been there and made those back and forth trips. When the temp is at 100 like this week the clubhouse being between points it is the place to be.

That grey (last two photos) is one fine tuned athlete..... another couple of favorite photos.
____
boBB

Last edited by boBBrennan; Jun 22, 2010 at 7:05 AM.
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2010, 7:24 PM   #6

Great job as usual Greg
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote