Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jun 22, 2010, 7:57 AM   #1

Default my first major issue with an Olympus product

Hi all, I bought a 9-18mm back in Feb., & pretty much since the get go it would lose aperture response causing the reading on the camera to be blank in Aperture display. also this resulted in grossly over exposed images. although this was happening randomly & shutting the camera off & removing & reattaching the lens seemed to temporarily fix the lens it has progressively got worse, now I am having problems getting it to work at all on any of my camera bodies. Having had similar issues on other lenses with the contacts getting dirty & needing cleaned, I tried this on the 9-18 several times since buying it to no avail. There is also a weird softness in the upper right Quarter of the picture on 95% of my images, which is most likely a result of the aperture problem.
Called Olympus support yesterday to discuss the problem & still can say I am very happy with their support, I will be sending it out today for repair, I will update this thread as the lens goes through the repair process.

Charles

Last edited by cshanaberger; Jun 22, 2010 at 8:04 AM.
cshanaberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 22, 2010, 9:45 AM   #2

Hi Charles.

Now's the time to send it in while under warranty.

I would imagine the softness is more due to some amount of de-centering and you sometimes have the lens stopped down far enough that you just do not notice it as much the 5% of the time you don't see it, but I bet it's there. Definitely make a note to them regarding this so they'll either correct it or send you a new unit that is not de-centered.

The aperture issue may simply be a defective contact on the lens that'll be easy enough to fix, but I bet not cheap it the lens was out of warranty. My 12-60's aperture mechanisn locked up after 18 months of use, meaning it was out of warranty. $292 later, it works like new!
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2010, 8:33 AM   #3

Greg, I sent it on its way yesterday ,to the repair center in New York. I am lucky it is still under warranty, I knew I was eventually going to have to send it in for the problems but it got to the point it was getting worthless to even try to use the lens, I hope it comes back fixed right the first time.

Charles
Old Jun 28, 2010, 4:19 PM   #4

an update to the 9-18mm repair process. sent it out last Tuesday morning, got an e-mail from the repair center Thursday that it was received, & potential ship date was Monday June 28th, Checked the service tracking number Friday evening that was provided in the e-mail, repair had already been performed but no info on problem was given. Just checked the repair center again at 3:45 p.m. today & it was noted as being shipped with ups tracking number given, should have it back Wednesday which it total "out & back" of 8 days, more than acceptable in my opinion.

The details of the repair was also updated, stating the following: Replaced Main Board, Adjustment, Clean & Check All.

Being an electronics engineering tech for the quite some time now, & having a lot of experience with surface mount electronics (the really small stuff) I would guess that the lens processor most likely had a lifted solder pad causing an intermittent problem with the aperture, this would be the only reason from my experience for replacing a main board, because from a financial stand point replacing the entire main board is a costly endeavor that companies tend to use as a last resort for repair. (especially when it is a warranty repair.)

I just hope all will be fixed with the lens this first trip.

Charles
Old Jun 28, 2010, 5:22 PM   #5

They do jump on these repairs. While they still will work on them, I plan to very soon send in my E1 to have to cleaned, all the seals serviced and have a new grip material installed, replacing the one that's just about completely come off.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote