Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jun 22, 2010, 4:04 PM   #1

Default Before and After

For two months I have been working on a process that for lack of better words has been named Frankenstein HDR. Frankenstein HDR is about selecting the main HDR (the head and body) then making up to 15 HDR's (arms and legs) to support it. These minor HDR's include different settings from low to very high. Different TEMP, SAT, and Hue settings all blended together using masking layers. It seems that I find myself caught in between the medium and and high settings in Photomatix. In fact I find value in the low settings as well, so I use all of them. All of this is done at the HDR level before adjustment layers. The first and second photo were posted before. The first photo is straight from one HDR. It shows the very powerful light patterns created by one or two spotlights. The second photo has 2 HDR's blended together as a quick study guide type photo. The third photo is the result from using Frankenstein HDR.
There is some minor tweaks to be done, but overall it is very close to print form. 15 HDR's were used to help control the spotlights and the light balance of the photo. Viewed on black at full resolution it pops. Reduced to this format I think you can see a difference....
Attached Images

Ancientritual is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 22, 2010, 4:10 PM   #2

Got the look out of something from Quake Arena!!
Koolpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2010, 4:20 AM   #3

You certainly know how to use and get the most out of Photmatix. The last image certainly is far more refined in it's balance of light and colors- IMO

I have the light version and have been able to get some interesting results with it. But I have a fair amount of trouble with what I call color 'noise'. I've yet to work out a solution.

Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2010, 10:32 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
You certainly know how to use and get the most out of Photmatix. The last image certainly is far more refined in it's balance of light and colors- IMO

I have the light version and have been able to get some interesting results with it. But I have a fair amount of trouble with what I call color 'noise'. I've yet to work out a solution.

Zig
Thank you for your comment. Converting a large MB file into a 224 or less KB file does take its toll. I should have modify it. The color noise generated by Photomatix is well known. None of my images have been put through a noise reduction program. I have Neat Image but been hearing great things about the Topaz denoise program. Since I use Topaz Adjust 4, I may just purchase this product. I use 2 HDR programs. Dynamic Photo HDR is a nice option. It may not deliver the same results as Photomatix, but the color noise is far less ...
Ancientritual is offline   Reply With Quote