Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jun 23, 2010, 12:24 AM   #1

Default Some Snaps from the ball game

Pittsburgh Pirates at the Texas Rangers, from Tuesday evening. Shot with the E30 and 50-200 f2.8-3.5 SWD, many with the EC20 fitted. Still have lots of images to process, but I went through them all and cherry-picked a few to process this evening before going to bed. There aren't too many games where you get a chance to capture plays at all four bases! I may even go back and tweek a few of these, particularly the white balance on the ones I shot after the stadium lights took full effect.

All shot RAW and processed in ACR/Photoshop CS4. Each of these first two images was shot with the EC20 fitted. I need to get tickets to a day game. using the EC20 with the 50-200 at a day game from similar seats the entire game would be a no-brainer after seeing the results during the pre-game warmups and during the first part of the game before the ambient light levels dropped completely off.

As many on the field as in the stands..for now..

Balls, Balls, everywhere.. with the EC20 fitted at the maximum zoom of 400mm. You can count the stitches on those balls.

Shot with the EC20 fitted at maximum zoom, ISO 2000 and from 15 rows behind first base, there's a little bit of softness in the managers face, but plenty sharp all around him so he must have twitched just as I shot this. I could of/should of, turned on image stabilization once shutter speeds dropped below 1/1000 second, although in this case it probably would not have mattered due to what must have been subject movement.

ISO 2500 with the EC20..

ISO 1250 at 200mm without the EC20..

Play at the plate, ISO 3200 and with the EC20 fitted. Just had a couple of seconds to get to my feet, find an opening through the standing fans in front of me, get the plate area in focus and snap off these two images. The 50-200 and EC20 on an E30 is capable of pretty darn fast autofocus.

Contact..ISO 3200 with the EC20..

Turning it solo at second..ISO 1600 at 200mm without the EC20..

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Jun 23, 2010 at 9:44 PM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 23, 2010, 4:08 AM   #2

Hey Greg,

Wonderful series! You've captured some wonderful plays on the bases. WOW!!! I, for one, can't wait to see the rest.

Except for the angle of view on some, I would have sworn you shot these from the photog's area.

I'm sure you've read some of the E-30 discussions going on at the other forum where noise appears to be a common complaint. I'm struck by how much better the E-30 is than any other Oly dslr-that I've had in my hands when it comes to high ISO and noise performance. I just don't get it!

Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2010, 4:15 AM   #3

Nice pics of the guys playing Rounders!
Koolpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2010, 7:17 AM   #4

.......just terrific! Greg, what a great series here, like Zig, I'm anxious to see the rest.

I surely wish I had been at The Ballpark in Arlington instead of Eagles Field in DeSoto last night. The only action at DeSoto was me eating peanuts.

I just may attempt one of the ECs, my grandson will be attending Texas Wesleyan University to play baseball and TWU plays all home games at LaGrave, the Ft Worth Cats....... if Jake makes it I will have a lot of opportunity, an EC looks to be worth my trying.
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2010, 7:22 AM   #5

Greg, great action shots, I like the 2 catcher images with the gear loss the best. you really can not see any IQ differences with or without the ec20, I do not own one but your images consistently show it is a good piece of glass.

As far as the Pirates go they are Pittsburgh's embarrassment in the sports area, they have been owned by a family in North Carolina for several years now, & all they care about is taking money from the city & fans. It is a shame PNC Park is one of the nicest mordern parks in baseball & the owners refuse to spend any money on talent to put in the park to draw bigger crowds or to even make the games interesting.

Charles
cshanaberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2010, 9:00 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cshanaberger View Post
Greg, great action shots, I like the 2 catcher images with the gear loss the best. you really can not see any IQ differences with or without the ec20, I do not own one but your images consistently show it is a good piece of glass.

As far as the Pirates go they are Pittsburgh's embarrassment in the sports area, they have been owned by a family in North Carolina for several years now, & all they care about is taking money from the city & fans. It is a shame PNC Park is one of the nicest mordern parks in baseball & the owners refuse to spend any money on talent to put in the park to draw bigger crowds or to even make the games interesting.

Charles
Thanks, Charles.

As someone old enough to remember Clemente's last season, Will Stargell, Al Oliver...before he played for Texas(!), manager Danny Murtaugh and the rest of the "Lumber Company" and the fact the Rangers traded Bill Madlock as a no one to the Cubs for Ferguson Jenkins before he wound up in Pittsburgh, it is amazing to me it's been so long since the Pirates have even sniffed a .500 season. From the time I was old enough to know what I was watching, the Pirates were THE team that was good every year in the NL East. PNC Park is one place I would love to go see a game. That, and I'd like to go see the old Forbes Field area.

One funny note, last night as I watched the scoreboard the first couple of innings, I found it very annoying they had "Pittsburgh" spelled without the "h" on the end. I can't remember exactly when, but at some point during the game they changed the scoreboard to just say 'Pirates". I think they may have run out of room to get "Pittsburgh" all in there.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Jun 23, 2010 at 9:10 AM.
Old Jun 23, 2010, 9:52 AM   #7

Holy cow!! These are sensational, Greg!
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2010, 12:16 PM   #8

HI Greg

A fab series of pics.. some real cracking shots. Agree with Zig, the E30 , it and I think the E620 both seem to have the cleanest sensors out of all of the E series cam's and the E30's got a much more reliable AF system to boot. I'd be real hesitant with the E3 to shoot something like that unless I just shot manually and set focus on a specific point.

Harj

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2010, 11:52 PM   #9

One last image. A composite of several images layered together in Photoshop.

Old Jun 26, 2010, 7:47 AM   #10

Greg, I really like this, sort of a stroboscopic effect.
Charles
cshanaberger is offline   Reply With Quote