Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jun 27, 2010, 10:52 PM   #1

Default This old boat

Been fighting the weather ( Work and the World Cup ) getting my old sailboat ready for the water. It was pretty old (1979) and had just been sitting in a used car lot for 7 years. I sailed it for a couple of seasons then dragged it out last winter to freshen her up.

This is how it looked 4 years ago when I got it home.

This is how it is today, almost ready for the water. She'll go in on Tuesday!!!!

Anyone up in this part of the world and wants to come sailing on the Sound, just get in touch.

Ken

*Yeh well, so I've blown out the whites and have to much reflection on the stern....
but she sails like a witch...*

Last edited by Scouse; Jun 27, 2010 at 10:55 PM.
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 27, 2010, 11:03 PM   #2

For the uninitiated "Scouse" (Rhymes with mouse) was the old nickname given to Liverpool seamen and these days to anyone from Liverpool.
It's from the Norwegian "lobscouse" a sort of Irish stew. The cook would mix up a huge drum of this stuff and heat and serve a portion up every day. A true gormand delight.....
In the Northwest here there's a big Norwegian community and a few people from Liverpool. (Even a Merseyside Lane)

Now you know and you didn't have to ask...
Old Jun 27, 2010, 11:07 PM   #3

Looks great Scouse; I'll know you can't wait to get it into the water. The color scheme looks very eye-catching. If I ever get back up to Washington state in my travel, I'll have to look you up and see if we can go for a ride in it.

Steven R.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2010, 11:24 PM   #4

Ken, great looking boat & thanks for the extra info, always like to read interesting stuff like that. I just got back from 12 hours boating on a local lake today, my girlfriend's family has a pontoon boat that we ride on quite often, not nearly as neat as it would be to ride on that boat of yours though, hope she sails great for ya. Bring back some salty pics from your voyage.

Charles
cshanaberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2010, 6:12 AM   #5

Hi Ken,

Looks like you've done a masterful job of restoring your sailboat. It looks, not only new, but quite seaworthy. I love older boats and am the proud owner of a 1984 25ft Grady White 'fisherman'. I absolutely love the boat as it gives me hours of pleasure both fishing and taking photographs of water scenes that, otherwise, would be impossible for me to capture.

There is a sense of freedom to be on the water watching the sunrise with no one around but the birds, sky and water surrounding you that is just hard to explain to some one that hasn't been on a boat.

Enjoy.

Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2010, 6:46 AM   #6

She's look'n good.

https://dogsportphoto.smugmug.com/
fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2010, 7:11 AM   #7

This old boat finished it's life sunk at the dock. It now sits in the driveway till we can get rid of it.
frank-in-toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2010, 9:21 AM   #8

.....great work there Ken, I too like the color scheme and name very much. I've not been sailing since 1974 when we lived in Huntington Beach, CA and would go out on my then brother-in-laws 27ft Venture, sometimes to Catalina island for a day.

Have fun there and enjoy...........
____
boBB
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2010, 11:03 PM   #9

Haven't had my computer for a couple of days and was pleasantly surprized today by your nice comments.

Trailered her to the La Conner Marina this morning, where we stepped the mast and launched her. Always a big dealand I'm always thinking of the worst case senario. What can go wrong, will. But no, everything went smoothly and the marina crew were great.Now she's home in her natural enviroment.
I'll be sailing her down to her mooring at the top of Camano Island, that place where I get all the mountain sunset pics.

I dropped a half dozen 5 gall buckets of concrete down a while ago, all chained together and stuck a mooring bhoy on top. That's where she sits waiting for us to row out to.

That boat is a classic Frank, get her back!

Ziggy, there's nothing like messing about in them, is there?. To paraphrase "Wind on the Willows" page 7, if I remember right.

Don't hesitate to call Steve or anyone, It's a photogenic place. I'll try and catch a few sailing down tomorrow.

Ken
Attached Images