Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jul 1, 2010, 4:54 AM   #1

Default Some evening water scapes

I've been a bit busy these last few weeks and haven't posted. But that doesn't mean I haven't taken any pictures-just no time to upload them here. The skies have been rather interesting these last couple of weeks with very dramatic clouds and colors. especially in the early mornings and late evenings.

Here's a couple taken with the E30 and 12-60mm lens- boy, do I like this combination:
Attached Images

zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 1, 2010, 7:45 AM   #2

Zig, these are great, that first one is a classic New England shoreline shot, I was stationed in Groton, CT. for 5 years while in the Navy, I remember scenes like this. Mystic Seaport in RI. was one of my favorite fishing port towns, I also made it up to Cape Cod a couple of times, after working my way through all the rotary intersections up that way.

I for one am really glad to see you posting some pics again, noticed you hadn't been posting pictures since you came back from FL. I was tempted to ask if everything was alright.

Charles
cshanaberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2010, 8:11 AM   #3

zig, that first shot looks like it should be on a postcard!
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2010, 9:02 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven R View Post

DANG IT! I was gonna say that! Geeeeeeeeez...
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2010, 9:20 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cshanaberger View Post
Zig, these are great, that first one is a classic New England shoreline shot, I was stationed in Groton, CT. for 5 years while in the Navy, I remember scenes like this. Mystic Seaport in RI. was one of my favorite fishing port towns, I also made it up to Cape Cod a couple of times, after working my way through all the rotary intersections up that way.

I for one am really glad to see you posting some pics again, noticed you hadn't been posting pictures since you came back from FL. I was tempted to ask if everything was alright.

Charles
Hi Charles,
Yes, there are so many places along the shoreline up and down the coast of New England where you can take some pretty spectacular photographs. Not to mention the coast lines of Rhode Island and Connecticut.
I've been fortunate to settle down in Cape Cod and have never regretted it for a moment.

The reason for the lack of forum involvement is that I've actually been busy trying to put together a number of my favorite Cape Cod scenes and then visiting galleries in the local area to see if there is any interest in displaying them for sale. Right now, I've got 2 different galleries that are displaying my work and while I'll never get rich doing this, it's been both hectic and a lot of fun.

One of these days, I'm hoping to be able to get enough sold to be able to purchase that 300mm 2.8 ZD lens that Greg keeps enticing me with his superb images.

And thanks for the kind comments.

Zig
Old Jul 1, 2010, 9:22 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven R View Post
Hi Steven and Gary,

Thanks, it's much appreciated. Along with matted photos, I've been selling note cards with local area scenes to gift shops and friends. This is one that looks great as a note card.

Thanks again,
Zig
Old Jul 1, 2010, 10:07 AM   #7

Both "Excellent" shots Ziggy. I mean really!

Thanks for sharing your plans for your commercial ventures, I've often thought about it (I'm sure we all have) but never got off my dead butt to do it. Good luck with it.

Had to smile about Steve's post. In some magazines, taking a post card shot is somewhat of a put down. They don't seem to realize that post card shooters are serious togs trying to get their work out there for people to see. I've often bought cards on my travels, not just as a momento of where I've been but because I really loved the shot and want to try and emulate it in my own work.

When I get out and take some pics, that is.
Ken
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2010, 7:11 AM   #8

Zig, glad to see you getting your work out there, hope you do well with it, so you can get that 300mm, I have some of my work ( landscapes) at a local doctor's office & also a Home Health Care agency, & while I don't sell much (landscape images) from this, It does get me portrait business which usually brings in more from individual buyers in the long run as they tend to buy multiple portrait prints.

Also something that I have done that has generated interest in my work is donate a framed image to a church auction or some other charity with your info recorded on the back of the frame. I donated several images to the West Virginia University Rifle Team for a money raising event, & I was informed one image was bought & put in a local museum in Morgantown,WV., never saw that coming.

Good Luck, hope you get that 300 soon.

Charles
cshanaberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2010, 10:16 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scouse View Post
Both "Excellent" shots Ziggy. I mean really!

Thanks for sharing your plans for your commercial ventures, I've often thought about it (I'm sure we all have) but never got off my dead butt to do it. Good luck with it.

Had to smile about Steve's post. In some magazines, taking a post card shot is somewhat of a put down. They don't seem to realize that post card shooters are serious togs trying to get their work out there for people to see. I've often bought cards on my travels, not just as a momento of where I've been but because I really loved the shot and want to try and emulate it in my own work.

When I get out and take some pics, that is.
Ken

Hi Ken,

While it all sounds wonderful to sell your work and, you do get a certain sense of validation, It is, at the same time, very time consuming, there is a significant investment to be made in photo paper, ink, mattes, labels, backing board. Add to that, the time consumed by taking the actual photo, then processing it in the computer. What you have is a big investment in terms of time and money. So much so, I honestly wonder if there is an actual profit.

Zig
Old Jul 2, 2010, 10:27 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by cshanaberger View Post
Zig, glad to see you getting your work out there, hope you do well with it, so you can get that 300mm, I have some of my work ( landscapes) at a local doctor's office & also a Home Health Care agency, & while I don't sell much (landscape images) from this, It does get me portrait business which usually brings in more from individual buyers in the long run as they tend to buy multiple portrait prints.

Also something that I have done that has generated interest in my work is donate a framed image to a church auction or some other charity with your info recorded on the back of the frame. I donated several images to the West Virginia University Rifle Team for a money raising event, & I was informed one image was bought & put in a local museum in Morgantown,WV., never saw that coming.

Good Luck, hope you get that 300 soon.

Charles
Thanks Charles,

I have done a few similar programs.
And, you're right, donating a print to a charity, club or business looking for things to raffle off,etc. is a great way to get your name out.

And, congrats on getting your photograph displayed at a museum. Now, that's pretty cool!!

Zig