Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jul 1, 2010, 4:40 PM   #1

Default SWA DOF Charts

Hi, all

I'm enjoying everyone's photos.

I've been putzing around with learning how to better use SWA lenses. In the process I made a spreadsheet containing the Depth of Field charts published by Olympus for the two SWA digital lenses - the Zuiko D 9-18mm f/4-5.6 and the Zuiko ED 7-14mm f/4, with the distances converted from meters to feet. For ease in choosing a hyperfocal distance for different f-stops I highlighted the hyperfocal cells in yellow. (Except that I try to stay away from f/22 so I didnít highlight those.)

As far as I know this forum software doesn't include the ability to upload files, so if anyone is interested in a copy of this spreadsheet send me a PM with your email address and I'll send it to you.

Ted

Edit 7-3-10: File is attached
Attached Files
File Type: xls Oly ZD SWA Lens DOF Chart.xls (48.5 KB, 160 views)

Last edited by tkurkowski; Jul 3, 2010 at 1:46 PM.
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 1, 2010, 6:40 PM   #2

Hi Ted,

Thanks for your kind offer. I wish I had one of the two super wide angle lenses that Oly makes so I could take you up on it.

Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2010, 6:55 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
Hi Ted,

Thanks for your kind offer. I wish I had one of the two super wide angle lenses that Oly makes so I could take you up on it.

Zig
Yeah, the 9-18 is almost $500 and don't ask about the 7-14.

The thing is, for the area you live in, that 9-18 lens could give you some great photos to market. Of course, it's easy for me to spend someone else's money.

Ted
Old Jul 1, 2010, 7:11 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post
Yeah, the 9-18 is almost $500 and don't ask about the 7-14.

The thing is, for the area you live in, that 9-18 lens could give you some great photos to market. Of course, it's easy for me to spend someone else's money.

Ted
Hi Ted,

I appreciate your suggestion, but my wife would argue that I don't need any help as I do a fine job of blowing thru money.

Seriously, though, a 9-18mm would be a great addition to my lens kit as panoramic photos really are an eye catcher. I've done some using the 12-60mm and cropping, which works okay. But, the additional angle of view that the 9-18mm offers, especially at the price, is compelling.
But, first, I've got to sell a bunch more photos

Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2010, 11:39 PM   #5

When I use mine, I just figure, unless I am focusing on something within a couple of feet, as long as I am stopped down to somewhere between f5.6 or f8, pretty much everything is going to be in focus.

9mm is nice & wide..a not-so-literal representation using the E620's Pop Art filter

But 7mm is better(!)...a very literal shot taken with the E1..

and the E300..

Even up really close at 7mm, f10 gets you pretty much in focus from front to back..

or even f7.1 at 9mm with the 9-18..

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Jul 1, 2010 at 11:47 PM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2010, 9:50 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
When I use mine, I just figure, unless I am focusing on something within a couple of feet, as long as I am stopped down to somewhere between f5.6 or f8, pretty much everything is going to be in focus.
I do the same.

With the 7-14, the focus does more than focus. It alters lines in the photo and it is part of composing with that lens. Sounds wierd, and it is a little strange, but its part of the character of this lens.

https://dogsportphoto.smugmug.com/
fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2010, 12:25 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post

...7mm is better(!)

I like also the 7-14 more than the 9-18, even when shooting it at 14mm.

It's good for geese:

And for children's playhouses:

Ted

Last edited by tkurkowski; Jul 4, 2010 at 3:00 AM.
Old Jul 3, 2010, 12:56 PM   #8
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post
As far as I know this forum software doesn't include the ability to upload files...
Actually, the software does support attaching files to posts here. But, most non image file types are not allowed the way we have it setup.

Just use the (Paper Clip) icon you'll see in the toolbar when making a post here for attaching supported file types to post (and they'll need to be within the maximum file sizes shown).

What file type is it (.xls, etc.), and what file size is it?

Right click on it in your file manager (Windows Explorer, etc.) and look at it's properties and let me know, and I can add the extension it's using and check to make sure the file size limits support it OK. Right this minute, I think only image types and a couple of other types are supported by default (like .doc, .docx, .pdf). But, I can add an extension to support a spreadsheet, provided it's not too large (and we prefer to keep the file sizes for attachments at a reasonable level). Just give me the exact extension it's using and it's file size.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2010, 1:33 PM   #9

It's an Excel file (saved back to the 2003 format) and the file size is 50K. Although I appreciate your help, no one seems interested in the file so don't add that file type unless someone here says they want it.

Thanks!

Ted
Old Jul 3, 2010, 1:39 PM   #10
Administrator

I'm assuming that means you need to upload a file with an extension of .xls (what older versions of Excel should use). I've added .xls to the supported file types.

They may be interested (but, just don't want to go to the trouble of playing e-mail tag to get it). ;-)

If you want to attach it, just use the Edit Button on your original post in the thread (and make sure you're in the Advanced Edit Mode by clicking on Go Advanced), and you should see a (Paper Clip) icon in your toolbar you can use to browse for a file on your PC, then use the Upload button by the file you select and attach it to your first post in this thread.

Let me know if you see any problems. It should work, as long as the extension is .xls, and it's no larger than 260,000 bytes (253.9KB), which is the largest file size I have setup for that file type right this minute.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote