Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jul 2, 2010, 1:23 AM   #1

Default Photoshop CS5- I think Ima gonna like....

Just upgraded LATE this evening from CS4 to CS5 and did a quick, very, very short run through in ACR to see for myself what I have read about the newest noise controls, and they're impressive. Now I just need to read about the 5 dedicated sliders (3 luminence and 2 color) and what they actually do so I'm not just blindly moving them around, but this looks at least as good as the Noiseware Professional third-party software I have been using.

ISO 1600..

ISO 2500..

ISO 3200..

This last image is shot at a low ISO 200. What's impressive is how the deep shadows look and the overall detail in the file. The resulting JPEG here from the RAW E620 file, using the highest quality setting, is over 14 MB in size....whoa...

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Jul 2, 2010 at 1:45 AM.
Greg Chappell is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 2, 2010, 1:29 AM   #2

But have you tried topaz labs? That is when it gets good
Old Jul 2, 2010, 1:33 AM   #3

Just ran one through real quick
Attached Images

Old Jul 2, 2010, 9:31 AM   #4

This is not the best way to see what Topaz really can do because 1) this image has already been run through a pretty intensive noise reduction program, so you're just piling on more noise reduction, which is really visible in the softer looking grass at even this small size....even the infield dirt has lost detail and contrast with the additional noise reduction, and 2) it's not loaded as a hyperlink, so the full-resolution file cannot be accessed to really look closer, assuming you used my hyperlink to do what you did to the full-size file which, if you did is even less impressive but not unexpected because of #1.

The advances in the NR programming in CS5 from what I saw last night in a short time frame means I see no real reason to mess with looking at or buying any more third-party noise reduction programs or, honestly, using the one I already have. I'll reload Noiseware Professional as a Photoshop plug-in to CS5 because I paid for it so I might as well have access to it, but being able to do everything at the RAW file level in ACR undestructively before any JPEG is created and information thrown out is a much more efficient way of working to me than converting and then having to use masks and save much larger psd or TIFF files to retain the ability to adjust what I did later with a program like Noiseware Professional or Topaz.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Jul 2, 2010 at 10:54 AM.
Greg Chappell is online now   Reply With Quote