Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jul 3, 2010, 5:07 PM   #1

Default More Legacy Lens Samples

OM135 f3.5 on E620. I purchased the lens on ebay in like-new condition and I am very pleased with these preliminary tests. I will now invest in adapter that allows focus confirmation as that will make stopped down focusing much easier. All pictures were shot in the AP mode at ISO 500 -640. The flower shots were made with an Olympus Extension Tube 7 added.
Attached Images

Last edited by turbines; Jul 3, 2010 at 5:15 PM.
turbines is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 3, 2010, 7:31 PM   #2

I've been dabbling with old glass myself lately. I have one of the AF confirmation adapters on order, too. Ordered from China, it should be in early next year.... heheheh
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2010, 7:47 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjtoth View Post
I've been dabbling with old glass myself lately. I have one of the AF confirmation adapters on order, too. Ordered from China, it should be in early next year.... heheheh
I have one of the focus confirmation adapters from China. You will need to focus rather slowly. If you are twisting the focus ring too fast, you will actually be slightly past the optimum focus when the light comes on. Hope yours performs better than mine, it lasted about 6 months before it stopped working accurately.

I also did some side by side comparison tests with the legacy lens vs the digital lens, and the legacy could not beat the digital. However, I have a large collection of legacy lens, so I still use them from time to time.

Steven R.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2010, 8:37 PM   #4

Hi Paul,

Interesting results. But I do have to ask you.

With lenses like the 12-60mm and 50-200mm in your kit, why are you messing with the 135mm 3.5 OM lens?

Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2010, 12:37 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
Hi Paul,

Interesting results. But I do have to ask you.

With lenses like the 12-60mm and 50-200mm in your kit, why are you messing with the 135mm 3.5 OM lens?

Zig
I don't want to speak for Paul but I find it much more fun to shoot with old glass.

John
jelow1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2010, 5:57 AM   #6

Zig, I guess the best answer is I like to tinker.

Old Jul 4, 2010, 9:29 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbines View Post
Zig, I guess the best answer is I like to tinker.
Paul,
Mine was a dumb question.........

Hope you enjoy your 135mm 3.5 OM. As far as OM legacy glass, it really is a fine lens and can produce some outstanding results.

As you, I also have the 12-60mm and the 50-200mm lenses. The reason for my inappropriate question is that, with those two lenses in my bag, I really do have a hard time using anything else as they are two outstanding lenses and cover a very complete focal range. As a result, the OM lenses that I have almost never come out of the closet.

Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2010, 12:16 PM   #8

Default Does anyone look at CZ lenses?

I don't mean to jack this thread, but the conversation brings up something that really puzzles me.

Over in the Oly SLR thread in DPR, folks are constantly whining about the lack of ZD prime lenses, so those folks tend to use legacy glass primes. But if I didn't have Oly or PL glass, I'd be using Carl Zeiss lenses - one of the only other lens manufacturers that consistently makes outstanding glass. I never see anyone talk about those lenses. Sure, they're pricey especially for manual-focus glass but unlike legacy lenses they are designed for digital SLRs.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2010, 2:24 PM   #9

If there was an entire stock of Digital Zuiko primes out there to choose from, that group would find something else to complain about.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2010, 3:26 PM   #10

I understand Zig. When I tackle a serious project it is with one of my digital lens. Other than being heavy the 12 - 60 is especially hard to beat for an all around lens.