Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jul 6, 2010, 7:45 AM   #11

I also have a 3001 with a Kirk BH3 Ballhead and Jobu Jr. It is not the sturdiest setup but it is very flexible and I have generally been happy with it. On the negative side it's too heavy to tote all day and my next tripod will definitely be of composite construction.

Edit: Correction, mine is a 190XPROB not the 3001. They look similar and I am not sure what the differences are.

Last edited by turbines; Jul 6, 2010 at 12:19 PM.
turbines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2010, 9:01 AM   #12

I'm happy with my Slik 700DX - it holds the E3 plus the 35-100 f/2 very well and it's not very expensive (although I haven't taken it bushwhacking). I notice that there's also a 780DX which has a 2-section center column, which is nice in that the shorter piece by itself would let you get the tripod down to the ground if you're shooting flowers, etc. I had to buy the shorter section separately for the 700DX.

In case you're interested, I'm less impressed with the Slik quick release plate that is built into its head (or any of the other inexpensive quick release systems I've tried). I finally settled on the Arca-type plate system because you can get some fairly long plates for that system, that work better for heavy lenses. Plus, that system grips incredibly well, like someone trying to sell you a vacation time-share...

I finally settled on Arca-Swiss brand "Flip-Lock" adapters with Acratech plates. Acratech makes plates specifically for some cameras and their Olympus versions have a bump that fits the depression in the camera base that keeps the camera from twisting on the tripod. As far as I can tell, no one else makes one like that for Oly bodies.

If you're OK with a screw-type release (the original Arca design) you could just use all Acratech gear, but I do like the Arca Flip-Lock. Be advised though, that the Flip-Lock must be manually adjusted to a plate the first time you use it, so you want to stay with a single brand of plates (all Acratech, all Arca, etc.) so that you only have to do this adjustment once.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2010, 10:28 AM   #13

Ted, you are right about the quick release systems, as most have slop when locked down, allowing the camera or lens to shift in the receiver. which when using glass like the 50-200mm is hugely pronounced. That is why, when I can afford it, I will be getting a head that has custom plates and a screw clamp to release the plate.

Zig, the 3021bpro I have is the older version,(you have to unscrew the center column to go to horizontal position), I have had it for about 5 & half years & it has been well abused in the mountains with no part breakage, just the occasional tightening of the leg cam locks has been required. for use in wind, I have a ball bungie attached to the center column & another ball bungie on all my camera bag & backpack, I then interlock the 2 balls this puts enough weight to keep the center column steady in reasonable winds.

Charles
cshanaberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2010, 12:10 PM   #14

Hi All,
Thanks to everyone for taking the time to reply to my request for information.

Just as an FYI, I took a look and am intrigued by the JOBU Design BWG-J2 Black Widow Jr. 2 Gimbal Tripod Head with Arca-Swiss Type Quick Release Base (Requires Plate).

It looks ruggedly built and, everything I've read, to this point is positive.
At 250.00USD, it won't break the bank either. Now, it's a matter of deciding on the tripod legs system.

Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2010, 12:06 AM   #15

I bought the tripod from Central Camera in Chicago for a mere $200 on their ebay site, it's aluminum and built to last, it was brand new in box and it was probably 10+ years old at the time of purchase. They still have them available. It has a geared column, which a lot of folks don't like, I don't mind, it's built very well. The model is the Gitzo 1218 Reporter II, while being aluminum it may be a bit heavier, but it is not unwieldy. The Leveling base is Acra-tech, as are the lens plates, camera plates, nodal rail, L-bracket and Ballhead...it was a heavy investment and depleted my camera funds for the year, but it is worth every penny. When using the 35-100/f2 it is an important piece of kit to have and made apparent after forgetting it and lugging that lens around all day with no tripod.
Do I deploy it everytime I use my camera, No, but it is nice to have for studio shots, closeup and macro shots and anything else requiring a steady support.

Reading this article led me to investing in a proper support system, It changed my mindset and I am happy it did.

-=edge=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2010, 9:20 AM   #16

There's an interesting discussion on tripods over at DPReview:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=35730387

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2010, 12:34 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post
There's an interesting discussion on tripods over at DPReview:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=35730387

Ted
and I concur with most of it Ted, I used a chinese Manfrotto knockoff for years without noticing too many issues. Still have it as a backup, but a Gitzo is a Gitzo and for the price I paid I couldn't pass on it. Being a tech junkie is a terrible habit of mine...
-=edge=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2010, 6:13 AM   #18

Hi Ted,

Thanks for the link to the DPreview discussion. AS Edge has already commented, I agree with much of what was being written.

But, theres's no getting away from the fact that you do get what you pay for be it high grade lenses i.e. Olympus 35-100mm or accessories such as a Jobu gimbal tripod head. That's why I'm always looking on KEH.com, B&H Photo, EbBay, and other sites for a bargain.

I hate to pay retail.

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
Old Jul 8, 2010, 6:17 AM   #19

Hi Edge,

Thanks for the photos of your tripod setup as well as the link to the article on buying the proper tripod. I had read that before and was looking for it again but couldn't find it.

I also did find the Gitzo tripod for sale at Central Camera's site . They want $249 for it today. I'd pull the trigger on it if it didn't come with the geared center column.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
Old Jul 9, 2010, 4:41 PM   #20

Hi Ziggy, I've had this piece of "scaffolding" for about 30 years and it's still in use. Needless to say it's not one to take backpacking it's no lightweight but it still gets used when I can get the SUV anywhere. And it'd take a hurricane to shake it once set up.

It's a Bogan 3050 made in Italy didn't have the ball head back then but it has a great rotating head geared hight extension, and extending legs with angle bracing.

Didn't really have anything useful to add to your thread but I couldn't resist....
Ken

Just grabbed the shot so no critiquing !!!
Attached Images

Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote