Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jul 9, 2010, 9:55 PM   #21

Thanks Ken,

Looks like a rugged piece of gear. Thanks for the photo. I'm still undecided. But, am leaning towards the manfrotto 393 gimbal head or the Jobu DEsigns Jobu Jr.
i saw a video on the 393 and it impressed me with it's ability to all the user to pan or swing the camera in a fluid motion without losing it's settings.

Not getting anything 'til I sell some more prints.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2010, 8:13 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
Hi Greg,
Thanks for the response, I was curious as to what you were using to hold the 300mm/E-3 combo steady. And, I realize that the build quality required to hold such a combination rock steady in all conditions comes at a premium price.

I've altogether too often, lately, have been frustrated with the tripod/head combo that I've got shaking or slipping at the most inopportune times.

Zig
My normal shooting with the tripod and long lens usually involves a folding camp chair and the tripod pulled up tight against it. I can balance the lens so precisely that I adjust the vertical axis with a finger under the hanging camera strap. if I lift the camera strap slightly, the lens drops. If I lessen the amount of the pressure, the lens returns. Gimbals are really sweet for long lenses.

Sorry about the crappy white balance.

As a side note, now that I've had carbon fiber, I'd not go without it again. The difference it weight makes a difference every time I pick it up, and handling aluminum on a day like the day I shot eagles at -14F is something I won't need experience again. I don't know the price difference between the two materials, but if you buy quality, you may only have to buy it once. Its personal opinion, of course. That's why I didn't "recommend" in my original post, but I wanted to indicate there ARE advantages for the extra expense.

https://dogsportphoto.smugmug.com/
fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2010, 9:52 AM   #23

If I were shooting wildlife with a long lens, a gimbal head like that is definitely what I'd want!

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2010, 10:07 AM   #24

HI GREG,

Thanx for posting the photo of your set-up. It really does better explain the functionality of the gimbal head. It's a lot easier to see how rugged looking the Jobu gimbal is and how it balance.

One of the important points that I want to make sure can be easily done is the ability to follow a bird in flight with the camera mounted on the gimbal. Looks like it's a piece of cake with your unit.

While I agree with you relative to the merits of carbon fibre vs aluminum, I'm going to have to do this in stages. Getting the gimbal head first then later pick up a carbon fibre tripod.

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
Old Jul 10, 2010, 11:24 AM   #25

Quote:
HI GREG,

Thanx for posting the photo of your set-up. It really does better explain the functionality of the gimbal head. It's a lot easier to see how rugged looking the Jobu gimbal is and how it balance..
The Jobu website to illistrate what I'm going to discuss.

http://www.jobu-design.com/gimbals.html

The one I've got is the is the Black Widow LW mk2. It differs from the heavy duty only by the horizontal bracket, or in my case, the lack of it. I made the decision only on a weight basis. I wanted it lighter to carry. I opted for the Black Widow (not jr.) because the 300 f2.8 would be at the upper limit for the Jr. For the lenses you are running, the Jr would work like a champ.

I was in hopes I wasn't making a mistake not getting the horizontal bracket, and I feel comfortable with that decision now, but the 300mm rotates on the tripod mount so I can choose between portrait and landscape orientation at will.

Quote:
One of the important points that I want to make sure can be easily done is the ability to follow a bird in flight with the camera mounted on the gimbal. Looks like it's a piece of cake with your unit.
I don't know about "piece of cake", as it is something that will always take patience, practice, and concentration.

Some feel that hand holding is best for BIF and hold 600mm f4 lenses for that. I'm not up for that. Among the tripod solutions, the gimbal heads are the best for that type of shooting. There are limits to the angles in that you cannot be graceful stepping over a tripod leg when you run out of panning room.

Quote:
While I agree with you relative to the merits of carbon fibre vs aluminum, I'm going to have to do this in stages. Getting the gimbal head first then later pick up a carbon fibre tripod.
I'm not questioning your decision. I just wanted to cover a point that really hadn't been covered up to that point. I'd have been a fool if I spent that much prior to the 300mm. I just didn't use the tripod much at all. When you use a tripod alot, it makes more sense to look at the alternative.

https://dogsportphoto.smugmug.com/

Last edited by fldspringer; Jul 10, 2010 at 11:26 AM.
fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2010, 1:29 PM   #26

Quote:
Thanks Ken,

Looks like a rugged piece of gear. Thanks for the photo. I'm still undecided. But, am leaning towards the manfrotto 393 gimbal head or the Jobu DEsigns Jobu Jr.
i saw a video on the 393 and it impressed me with it's ability to all the user to pan or swing the camera in a fluid motion without losing it's settings.

Not getting anything 'til I sell some more prints.

Zig
Have you looked into an Induro unit? I know nothing about them but they get good reviews at B&H and offer a gimbal head for around $200. Throw in the legs and a sturdy unit could be had for around $350.

Or, if you don't plan on hikng with it there are some nice vintage Gitzo units on ebay cheap. Look to be as sturdy as hell but they weigh over 10lbs.

Best of luck with whatever you choose. Hopefully you'll sell enough pics to get something extra nice.

John
jelow1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2010, 2:35 PM   #27

Hi Greg,

Thanks for the Jobu link and your input. I too think, that the Jr. will meet my needs. God knows if I ever buy a 300mm 2.8, I'll be able to afford the full size unit.

Hi John,

Yes, indeed, I happened to see an Induro A413 tripod and the legs look plenty beefy.
Frankly, my goal is to get a used carbon fibre tripod for reasonable money. While picking up a new gimbal head. KEH.com offers used tripods and heads.
Just need to do a bit more research on the legs making sure they;re beefy enough.

Zig

Old Jul 10, 2010, 7:15 PM   #28

You're prolly getting glassy eyed with all the info you've garnered in the past few days. Couple of points (and you prolly allready know) the Outdoor Photographer has an in depth article on tripods in their new issue.

And the other is and old tip about having a hook below the centre post of the tripod to hang... a camera bag or such, for a bit of stabilzing weight.
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2010, 1:08 PM   #29

Default I just received a Manfrotto 393 head

If anyone is interested, I finally ended up buying a Manfrotto model 393 gimbal type head.

It came in last week and while I haven't had a chance to fully field test it, I have mounted it to my tripod legs and mounted both the 135-400mm Sigma and the 50-200mm ED lens. Initial impressions are very high. This head is built out of 3/8 bar stock, is very steady, and easy to pan with.

The camera and lenses balance quite easily on this head. The lens is mounted to a quick release plate that can slide in or out to easily balance the entire combo. Once locked, the camera and lens seem to be dead still.

This is not a light weight head. It weighs in at 3.5lbs add the 3lbs for the tripod which doesn't include the weight of the camera +lens and you're not going to want to travel with this often.

This is a link to a short video of the 393 head:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCMfaazzvgA

Zig

Old Aug 11, 2010, 1:31 PM   #30

Hi, Zig

I looked at the video. That sure looks like the perfect setup for the bird photos you shoot.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote