Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jul 5, 2010, 10:56 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
zig-123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Cape Cod, Massachusetts
Posts: 5,157
Default looking for suggestions on a tripod and head

I currently have a Manfrotto 3001 tripod with a adjustable head which I find as adequate for most situations.
However, when I mount the E-30 with a 135-400mm lens or the 50-200mm lens and have either fully extended, there is a lot of shake or vibration. This is especially true on windy days.

I'm wondering what you folks are using. Especially those forum members using
large/heavy lenses.

Your recommendations/suggestion would be much appreciated.

Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 5, 2010, 6:12 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Steven R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 5,910
Default

I'll bet northern Greg has it covered. I remember some heavy duty telephoto shots he posted with a tripod.

Last edited by Steven R; Jul 5, 2010 at 8:16 PM.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2010, 8:21 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
gjtoth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Louisville, KY, USA
Posts: 6,938
Default

All my stuff is pretty light-weight, Zig. The most heavy-duty tripod I have is an Amvona HD pro I picked up about 3 years ago. It's pretty hefty. They ship knock-offs of the big guys. I don't even know if they're still in business. I liked there stuff, though.
__________________
Gary ---- "The best camera is the one you have with you."
<><~~~~~~~~~~~
Pentax K-70 ~ Panasonic FZ1000
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2010, 9:02 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Dallas, Texas USA
Posts: 6,521
Default

I have the same 3001 tripod....it's the oldest piece of photographic equipment I own, with probably the same adjustable head, rarely use it, and the thought of spending lots of money on a new one is about as enjoyable as writing a check to the IRS.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2010, 9:15 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
zig-123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Cape Cod, Massachusetts
Posts: 5,157
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
I have the same 3001 tripod....it's the oldest piece of photographic equipment I own, with probably the same adjustable head, rarely use it, and the thought of spending lots of money on a new one is about as enjoyable as writing a check to the IRS.

Yup, that about sizes up how I feel.

Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2010, 10:13 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 1,241
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post

I'm wondering what you folks are using. Especially those forum members using
large/heavy lenses.

Your recommendations/suggestion would be much appreciated.

Zig
I don't think I'll consider this a recommendation or suggestion, but more just personal experience with the products I own.

I'll start with the head. I got the Jobu BW-LW II gimbal and I think its a great head. I think it may be overkill for you and the Jobu JR is more the duty your looking for. Either of these are great solutions and are lightweight. The Jobu JR has been used with the 300 f2.8 by some and they are satisfied. If your looking for a head for the long lenses, the gimbal heads are great.

The tripod I own is the Fiesol 3372 and its very light and very strong. I'm sure it would hold twice the weight I put on it. Once again it may be overkill for your needs. Anyway, I'm pleased with the quality and the head and tripod are light to cary.

A website: https://www.feisol.net/

The stuff I have isn't cheap, but much less than a Gitzo/Wimberley combination. I'm sure I'll be using it for a long time to come.
__________________
Greg

https://dogsportphoto.smugmug.com/
fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2010, 10:17 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
pbjunkiee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Pensacola Fl
Posts: 914
Default

how much are you willing to spend?

I would recommend staying with manfrotto
__________________
SportsShooter
www.85zero.com
pbjunkiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2010, 10:27 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: south west pennsylvania
Posts: 415
Default

Zig, this is a problem that constantly haunts me, my main tripod is a manfrotto, 3021bpro, originally I added a manfrotto 222 joystick head, this worked fine till I got the e-3. the weight of the e-3 with any glass heavier than the kit lenses makes this head useless even with the tension cranked all the way up it still creeps constantly. then I bought a manfrotto 804rc2 3-way pan head this worked good with my heaviest combo, E-3/50-200swd, however has flex that makes precise framing time consuming as it has a tendency to flex downward on the vertical axis as I tighten the vertical control. So then went to a manfrotto 488rc2 ball head, this one is all metal and the steadiest of the three but I am still not impressed with speed of lock down. Have been watching the Really Right Stuff heads, but they are out of financial possibility for right now.

The manfrotto combination is quite hefty & when hiking you definitely know you have it with you. In an attempt to lighten my load for hiking so, more water could be carried allowing me deeper penetration into the mountains, I purchased a sunpack pro 523px carbon fiber tripod with pistol grip head. I absolutely do not recommend this tripod it started slipping at the leg joints after about 2 months of use, then one of the cast metal leg clamps cracked rendering the tripod itself useless, the head is quick to adjust & supports heavy combos So-so but it is not worth the $200 I paid for the head & legs combo.

So I continue to research for a lighter hiking combo but have not found anything promising yet that is reasonably priced.

Charles
cshanaberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2010, 6:24 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
zig-123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Cape Cod, Massachusetts
Posts: 5,157
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fldspringer View Post
I don't think I'll consider this a recommendation or suggestion, but more just personal experience with the products I own.

I'll start with the head. I got the Jobu BW-LW II gimbal and I think its a great head. I think it may be overkill for you and the Jobu JR is more the duty your looking for. Either of these are great solutions and are lightweight. The Jobu JR has been used with the 300 f2.8 by some and they are satisfied. If your looking for a head for the long lenses, the gimbal heads are great.

The tripod I own is the Fiesol 3372 and its very light and very strong. I'm sure it would hold twice the weight I put on it. Once again it may be overkill for your needs. Anyway, I'm pleased with the quality and the head and tripod are light to cary.

A website: https://www.feisol.net/

The stuff I have isn't cheap, but much less than a Gitzo/Wimberley combination. I'm sure I'll be using it for a long time to come.
Hi Greg,
Thanks for the response, I was curious as to what you were using to hold the 300mm/E-3 combo steady. And, I realize that the build quality required to hold such a combination rock steady in all conditions comes at a premium price.

I've altogether too often, lately, have been frustrated with the tripod/head combo that I've got shaking or slipping at the most inopportune times.

Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2010, 6:38 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
zig-123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Cape Cod, Massachusetts
Posts: 5,157
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cshanaberger View Post
Zig, this is a problem that constantly haunts me, my main tripod is a manfrotto, 3021bpro, originally I added a manfrotto 222 joystick head, this worked fine till I got the e-3. the weight of the e-3 with any glass heavier than the kit lenses makes this head useless even with the tension cranked all the way up it still creeps constantly. then I bought a manfrotto 804rc2 3-way pan head this worked good with my heaviest combo, E-3/50-200swd, however has flex that makes precise framing time consuming as it has a tendency to flex downward on the vertical axis as I tighten the vertical control. So then went to a manfrotto 488rc2 ball head, this one is all metal and the steadiest of the three but I am still not impressed with speed of lock down. Have been watching the Really Right Stuff heads, but they are out of financial possibility for right now.

The manfrotto combination is quite hefty & when hiking you definitely know you have it with you.
Charles
Thanks Charles,

I'm happy to get your input as the 3021bpro was one of the tripods that caught my eye-mostly from a cost perspective.
Your description of the issues you were experiencing are pretty much dead on as far as the problems I've been having. I no sooner line up the lens where I want it, when it slips on the vertical after locking. When looking thru the viewfinder of the E-30 with the 50-200mm+EC20telecon fully extended
you can see the camera shaking due to the wind or even if you just press the shutter release half way. The stability is very tenuous at best. It is more pronounced when using a Sigma 135-400mm.


The weight of the tripod/head combo won't be the biggest issue for me as I use a monopod when trekking thru the woods. The tripod is used mostly for taking photos of nesting Ospreys.

Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 8:26 PM.