Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jul 8, 2010, 8:32 AM   #1

Default getting to fimiliar with olympus repair

Hi all, well after getting my 9-18mm back last week (works great so far), from Olympus repair, I have to send the e-3 out today due to the bezel on the lcd snapping yesterday when I tried to pull out the lcd for angled viewing. I am also sending in the 12-60mm to have it calibrated to my body so focus will be more accurate. This one is going to cost me since neither are no longer under warranty.

Charles
cshanaberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 8, 2010, 8:47 AM   #2

[QUOTE=cshanaberger;...........due to the bezel on the lcd snapping yesterday when I tried to pull out the lcd for angled viewing.
[/QUOTE]

Charles,

I must leave the LCD on my E-3 opened for the same reasson, a screw stripped from the bezel long ago. I've not checked with Oly about repair cost but for me it isn't worth the 'Oly minimum' but I do wish it were fixed.

AND this past weekend the 'media door' of my E-300 snapped off a closure tab, thus it now is taped closed with of all things a 'BandAid'.

I will be interested to know E-3 repair cost............
____
boBB
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2010, 10:05 AM   #3

Bob, well got my e-3 & 12-60 back yesterday, the cost of the repair was $196.75, for fixing the broken bezel, cleaning & function check on the camera. the cost for clean & check all of the lens was $63.13. I sent the lens in to have the focus calibrated, because I feel like a lot of users, it front focuses noticeably most/if not all the time. No mention was made in the repair forms on how it was calibrated for the focus issue, just said," clean & check all." I shot about 75 random pics last night just for focus test purposes & it seems to focus better, but want to test it more thoroughly before I say that for sure.

some comments on the camera repair, the back part of the bezel was replaced (the part that says Olympus), I must admit I am a little disappointed that the whole bezel wasn't replaced as on the lcd side. my "self installed" screen protector was still there so, it was not replaced. Having worked for electronics manufactures for many years now this is a common practice throughout the industry, so its not something I am going to get all that upset about.

What surprised me actually was UPS, the camera was shipped late friday by ground & I got it yesterday, Checked the tracking number & the package was on the move all weekend. (I didn't think UPS moved stuff on weekends)

Charles
Old Jul 20, 2010, 10:52 AM   #4

While my 12-60 came back working like new, the tech who worked on it did a little mangling of the shroud that runs around the circumfrance of the front element, actually bending up a small section in one spot. A little annoying for someone who takes extra care to not mangle equipment that costs what this particular lens did new, plus the amost $300 for the repair work. It's not a lens I would ever look to sell, but the damage would probably cause a reduction of at least $100 off the possible sales price of an otherwise clean second-hand optic.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2010, 1:33 PM   #5

When it comes to the issue of repairing the LCD bezel on Oly DSLRs, this option works a lot better for me, and fits all Oly DSLRs as far as I can tell. For some reason, Adorama seems to be able to sell it for USD100 less than anyone else.

http://www.adorama.com/IOMVA1.html

Ted

Last edited by tkurkowski; Jul 20, 2010 at 2:01 PM.
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2010, 2:58 PM   #6

Well, I almost didn't respond to this post because I didn't want to jinx myself.

I've been very fortunate in that, the E-30 has held up well since I got it last year. As have all my lenses.

I did have a major scare a few weeks back when I was on my boat, heading out from the harbor in heavy seas. I inexplicably had my E-30 with an 12-60mm lens sitting on top of the console without any towel wrapped around it for protection or better yet, inside the tamrac velocity 7x bag. I hit a big wave ant the camera went flying off the console an dropped onto the deck with a loud thud. I turned and watched as the camera started sliding down the deck towards the transom. I gave chase and picked it up just before it hit the transom and possibly getting destroyed by a wave.

My heart was in my throat. I really was pi--ed at myself because I knew better and was simply too lazy to put the camera away from any harm.

After I got the camera, I jumped back behind the controls and got the heck out of the main channel. Once getting to calmer waters, I inspected the camera & lens, fully expecting to see some major damage to the mirror, lens or body. Much to my surprise, the camera functioned as it normally did prior to the mishap. There was no damage to any part of the camera. Apparently, the camera landed on the deck with the optical viewfinder taking the brunt of the fall. Aside from some scratched, everything works fine.

Looking back on it now, it would probably make a decent commercial advertising the durability of the E-30.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2010, 8:08 PM   #7

Greg, I think I would have complained about that , no matter how small the damage may seem. if I take great care to protect my equipment & take care of it, those who work on it should have the same respect.

Ted, I had it repaired for the simple fact that I want the weatherproofing to be intact wasn't so worried about cosmetics. The angle viewfinder would be a great addition to the kit though.

Zig, Glad to here your e-30 is well after its gravity check. i have done pretty stupid things at times also, the worst was a few years back shooting in a state park in West Virginia. left the park and got on to the highway before it hit me I left the camera on top of the car, luckily the car had a luggage rack, which managed to snag the neckstrap & keep the camera away from the asphalt.

Charles
Old Jul 21, 2010, 4:06 PM   #8

...I recon I will leave the E-3 LCD open and the 'BandAid' on the E-300 for now. Some other pressing expenses have shown up the past few weeks here so as long as shutters work the 'character' blems will be ok.
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote