Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jul 16, 2010, 7:19 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by boBBrennan View Post
...I too like the first one Gary, if i remember correctly that grass is known as Fox Tail where I grew up in MissourA & Iowa.

Looks like it was a fun wet show, you and the gear did well.
____
boBB
Thanks, Bob. I'm liking the combination even better than I thought I would. For me, it works well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post
Gary, I'm noticing that recently the mean posts over there have decreased a lot. Part of that may be that I rarely follow any thread there after it gets past 25 posts or so - that seems to be the point where folks start getting into arguments.

Ted
Still, Ted, why go into that kind of stuff at all. The only time I see it here are when some of the jerks that seem to relish in that stuff, spill over onto here. Thanks to being well-moderated here, it doesn't last very long. And, to be sure, that sort of behavior is tolerated way more than it should on the vast majority of forums. I just don't see any reason for it.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3

Last edited by gjtoth; Jul 16, 2010 at 7:23 AM.
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2010, 10:04 PM   #12

I agree with Gary: why go into that kind of stuff at all?

I stopped going to those forums a long time ago, and haven't missed it at all. The people on this forum as a group are much nicer, are very knowledgeable, and make it a pleasure to share all our thoughts. It's like having pleasant and informative conversations with old friends. I never felt that way on the DPR forums.

Steven R.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2010, 10:39 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven R View Post
I agree with Gary: why go into that kind of stuff at all?

I stopped going to those forums a long time ago, and haven't missed it at all. The people on this forum as a group are much nicer, are very knowledgeable, and make it a pleasure to share all our thoughts. It's like having pleasant and informative conversations with old friends. I never felt that way on the DPR forums.

Steven R.

Amen! Preach it, brother!
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2010, 6:39 AM   #14

Quote:
... I stopped going to those forums a long time ago, and haven't missed it at all. The people on this forum as a group are much nicer, are very knowledgeable, and make it a pleasure to share all our thoughts. It's like having pleasant and informative conversations with old friends. I never felt that way on the DPR forums.

Steven R.
That's true - DPR will never be as personal as this forum, nor have posts with a sense of humor. But it really has become civil over the last few months and you guys are missing some good images (click on the images to enlarge them):

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=35771151

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=35811693

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=35746225

I don't read a lot of the posts, especially the endless speculations (unencumbered by real facts) on what the next Oly DSLR will be like, or whether Oly is planning to get out of the DSLR business like Panny did. But there are a lot of posts worth looking at.

No reptile images, though.

Ted

Last edited by tkurkowski; Jul 17, 2010 at 6:42 AM.
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2010, 2:13 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post
No reptile images, though.

Ted
What, no reptile images?? How can they be any good??

Here Ted, I took this one just for you. LOL!!

Last edited by Steven R; Jul 17, 2010 at 2:53 PM.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2010, 2:52 PM   #16

Quote:
What no reptile images?? How can they be any good??

Here Ted, I took this one just for you. LOL!!
And now, life is good.

Ted
Old Jul 18, 2010, 7:11 AM   #17

Hi Gary,

Small wonder your liking the 18-180mm. These are quite sharp.

Well done

Zig

Can't help but chime in on the DPreview talk. I've pretty much stopped participating in any of the discussions there. Same carping about Olympus' lack of new equipment releases or the lack of lenses. I'm not saying that people shouldn't raise their concerns. It's just that I'm not interested in that and prefer to go out and use what I have rather than whine about what I don't.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2010, 7:31 AM   #18

I like them all, but you nailed the framing on the third IMHO.

https://dogsportphoto.smugmug.com/
fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2010, 8:44 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
Hi Gary,

Can't help but chime in on the DPreview talk. I've pretty much stopped participating in any of the discussions there. Same carping about Olympus' lack of new equipment releases or the lack of lenses. I'm not saying that people shouldn't raise their concerns. It's just that I'm not interested in that and prefer to go out and use what I have rather than whine about what I don't.

Zig
I should resist chiming in, but I won't.

I've been pretty much out of that place for (I'm guessing) about a year now. I must say I'm better for not wasting my time there and allowing some button pushing kid to get the blood pressure up.

On my way out, I posted a farewell to the good folks there with the reasons I was bailing on the forum. There was a couple of the "don't let 'em get under your skin" posts before I retired for the night. The next morning, the thread was gone. It must have went toxic in the extreme. That was all I needed to steer clear for the most part.

I pop in every once in a while, and I disagree with Ted on the civility part (but very much agree on the worthy pic part). A couple weeks ago, Joe Mama was there under his latest identity serving up his measure of equivalence, and the same group were chucking it back at him. The "Jump Ship" crowd were in force and whine and complain were the order of the day.

The problem with DPR is that the problem children have driven so many class photogs off, and when the underclass is banned, they are back the same day with a new identity. By getting rid of the good and failing to get rid of the bad, the signal to noise ratio is terrible. I have better things to do with my time.

This place is the comfortable "pull up a chair" kind of place that is always respectful of the rest of the room. The core group have grown into some pretty damned good photographers and have a good measure of class to boot. Thanks to each and every one of you!!!

https://dogsportphoto.smugmug.com/
fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2010, 11:52 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by fldspringer View Post
This place is the comfortable "pull up a chair" kind of place that is always respectful of the rest of the room. The core group have grown into some pretty damned good photographers and have a good measure of class to boot. Thanks to each and every one of you!!!
And I think one of the major differences between the two forums is that we actually have good monitors. Thanks, Mark, JimC and the rest of you guys!!!

Ted