Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jul 18, 2010, 5:37 AM   #11

Hi Greg,

The beauty that surrounds us all, is just amazing to me. If it weren't for owning a camera, I'd swear, I'd miss most of it.

Thanks for sharing a beautiful part of your world with us.

That 300mm+EC20 telecon combo maybe heavy to lug around but, boy, when I see results like these, it sure makes it worth it.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2010, 11:22 AM   #12

Great shots Greg. That's one sorry looking coot chick isn't it, I can see why you took the shot. He'll hate you when he grows up!!!

Great place for a walk and plenty of subjects waiting for "good" photos.
Had a bit of a field day, didn't ya.

Thanks for sharing
Ken
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2010, 4:13 PM   #13

Greg, can't add much that hasn't already been said, these images are just great to look at.

Charles
cshanaberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2010, 1:15 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
Hi Greg,

The beauty that surrounds us all, is just amazing to me. If it weren't for owning a camera, I'd swear, I'd miss most of it.

Zig
Which is why I think photography should be taught in all schools. I was lucky enough to take a class in 6th grade and while it didn't sink in for awhile I know it made a lasting impression on me. Imagine how different teens would see the world if they were taught how to take real photos of it, not just crap done while taking a break from texting. Then agian the less out there taking pictures the better for us, eh?

John
jelow1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2010, 5:46 AM   #15

Thanks everyone for taking a look.

Greg, I'm guessing I was around 150 yards from the pelican and cormorants. The egret in the tree was at least twice that far. All in all, 600mm was not too long and the times I wished for more reach was common, and the times I needed to back up were restricted to the coot and the flower shots.

Zig, the 300mm/EC-20 was mounted on a monopod the whole time. I was on the board walk alot of the time and the numbers of people was small. Much of the time the weight was resting on the pole and I was busy with numerous subjects. The lens size really wasn't an issue.

The day before I saw so many prairie and woodland birds during my cameraless hikes. These little birds are going to require the big lens and there will be much more work involved. My original plan was to take the tripod and chair to the edge of a woodlot when the lighting got harsh. A loosened set screw on the tripod (with no allen wrench) put an end to those plans.

Ken, there were alot of things to shoot and I had decent light. If I spent too much of my time, 150k shutter life would likely not be enough. I downloaded around 400 pics from the 4 hours I was there. The ugly chick, in this case, wasn't going to turn into a swan. Mom was busy grabbing snails and feeding the kid. It was the time I really needed distance between camera and subject, but distance put reeds in the way.

Guys, I had a ball. I'm needing to get back there. There were so many prairie birds I don't remember ever seeing before that I'd love to get shots at. I'm sure the same goes for the shore birds.

https://dogsportphoto.smugmug.com/
fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2010, 8:02 AM   #16

Greg,
..........FUN is FUN isn't it !!! Hope you get back there soon. I enjoy your posts.
____
boBB
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2010, 12:36 PM   #17

Hi Greg

Those are just spot on .. the first pic in the first series is just a cracker, and then its followed by some more wonderful pics. The first just really stands out - sharp, lots of detail, the crop and well what more can I say .. .

Cheers

Harj

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2010, 1:47 PM   #18

I'm gonna ask because I see no mention of it or missed it, but were you using your E3 or "something else" in shooting these!
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2010, 6:49 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
I'm gonna ask because I see no mention of it or missed it, but were you using your E3 or "something else" in shooting these!
The only things I shot with were the E-3/300mm/EC-20 combo and the EPL1/20 f1.7 combo. The boardwalk pic and the wide photo of the prairie flowers were the EPL pics. The rest were the E-3.

Old Jul 19, 2010, 7:11 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarjTT View Post
Hi Greg

Those are just spot on .. the first pic in the first series is just a cracker, and then its followed by some more wonderful pics. The first just really stands out - sharp, lots of detail, the crop and well what more can I say .. .

Cheers

Harj

Hi Harj,

Thanks for the comments.

That fellow was just begging to have its pic taken. I think its a black tern in its molting phase, but I'm not certain. Here's one taken if what I think is the same bird.

The original pic was slightly straightened full width square crop. I'm a big fan of square crops, as you might notice in many, many of my posted pics. The one above is a full height vertical crop that could have uses a bit of straightening to the post. Being fussy is part of the fun, I guess.