Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jul 18, 2010, 1:52 AM   #1

Default While in Arlington earlier today (Saturday)...

On my way to the races, but stopped in Arlington to buy a ticket for my next Rangers game, snapped these three images of the ballpark using the 9-18 Zuiko and my E30. It was "only" 91 degrees at the time, on the way to the high for the day of 102.

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 18, 2010, 2:02 AM   #2

Default Last 5 images of the season...

Doubling up here, after the trip to Arlington, it was off to Grand Prairie.The first 5 images below are of the 9th race Saturday, last one of the season for me. Live thoroughbred racing ends for the season (until next April) tomorrow. 102 degrees outdoors for one afternoon is enough for me. E30 and 50-200 SWD..

My favorite shot of the day...

A few other pics from the rest of the last racing card of the season..

Some turf course shots, where I broke out the EC20 as well..

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Jul 18, 2010 at 2:08 AM.
Old Jul 18, 2010, 6:59 AM   #3

The image of the 7 horse, all stretched out is an eye catcher for me.

On another note, the Rangers have been beating up the Red Sox pretty well this week. The Sox finally pulled one out at the end last night.. From Cliff Lee, no less.

I almost had the opportunity to attend today's game. But my friend, at the last minute decided to take his grandson. What a louse!

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2010, 8:34 AM   #4

Zig,....those grandpas can be nasty friends when it comes to baseball tickets, especially when the game is the 600th consecutive sellout.

Greg, 'centerfield' is a shot which should be hanging VERY LARGE somewhere inside The Ballpark as a 'for sale' poster...... I love it!

My son said it was miserable at the track, he was there to see Waco's Cutie run, a horse he once had a part ownership of.

TOOOOOO! hot out for me nowadays, you please be careful.............
____
boBB
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2010, 1:01 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
The image of the 7 horse, all stretched out is an eye catcher for me.

On another note, the Rangers have been beating up the Red Sox pretty well this week. The Sox finally pulled one out at the end last night.. From Cliff Lee, no less.

I almost had the opportunity to attend today's game. But my friend, at the last minute decided to take his grandson. What a louse!

Zig
My girlfriend really likes horses like the #7. I emailed that one to her last night. One reason it was one of my favorites was, he was the horse I bet on in that particular race and he won! One of two winners out of the 4 races where I placed a bet. The day wound up being a wash, cost-wise. The two winners covered both the admission/program cost, the four $2 the bets (big spender) I made and the one $3 bottle of water I bought and subsequently re-filled using the fountains numerous times!

Red Sox tickets are tough finds. I can get good location seats for the Rangers just about any time since I'm buying only one seat at a time. Got just about the same seat for the July 27 game with Oakland as I had for Cleveland and Pittsburgh.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Jul 18, 2010 at 1:03 PM.
Old Jul 18, 2010, 1:12 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by boBBrennan View Post
Zig,....those grandpas can be nasty friends when it comes to baseball tickets, especially when the game is the 600th consecutive sellout.

Greg, 'centerfield' is a shot which should be hanging VERY LARGE somewhere inside The Ballpark as a 'for sale' poster...... I love it!

My son said it was miserable at the track, he was there to see Waco's Cutie run, a horse he once had a part ownership of.

TOOOOOO! hot out for me nowadays, you please be careful.............
____
boBB
I was inside cooling off near the security door once yesterday when it swung open and they were hauling a girl who was overcome by the heat off to the ambulance. There was a concert after racing, so it was unusually crowded with lots of concert goers and young, exceptionally good-looking ladies dressed in next-to-nothing saving places near the stage all afternoon. I made several trips between the final turn and the clubhouse and the sites were much more "interesting" than normal...

It was about time for the season to end here. Too hot is right. There were 11 races Saturday. I left after #9 to get out while no one else was leaving.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Jul 18, 2010 at 2:31 PM.
Old Jul 18, 2010, 5:48 PM   #7

Greg, as usual great shots, noticed alot more modeling in the abdominal muscles in some of these images. was the time of day different or did you change your shooting position?

Charles
cshanaberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2010, 11:10 PM   #8

The racing happened at the same time as normal and I didn't change the positions where I shoot from. What I believe was the biggest difference compared to past weeks was the intense light....and heat. There were no moments of sunshine, then shade. There was not a hint of a cloud in the sky yesterday and it was an oven out there.

There was plenty of shadow lifting going on in the processing I did, especially the last two hours or so when action moving toward the finish line went to complete backlight you can see in that first 5 picture series, which was race 9 that went off right at 5:30pm. The sun was directly overhead when the first race went off at 1:35, which you can see in the images of the #7 horse in image #6, so the riders faces and front sides were pretty heavily shadowed all day and there was plenty of modeling shade on the horses' bodies, not to mention the sweat that was very evident.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Jul 18, 2010 at 11:14 PM.
Old Jul 18, 2010, 11:26 PM   #9

thanks for the explanation, I never even though about the horses sweating, that in itself could possibly cause a difference in the modeling. the detail in the body of number 3, in the horses simply amazes me, kind of puts to bed the saying you can't get good shots in bright sun.

Charles
cshanaberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2010, 12:36 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by cshanaberger View Post
thanks for the explanation, I never even though about the horses sweating, that in itself could possibly cause a difference in the modeling. the detail in the body of number 3, in the horses simply amazes me, kind of puts to bed the saying you can't get good shots in bright sun.

Charles
Yeah, when they get in that position, the abdominal muscles are really impressive. Here's a closer-up shot I just posted from yesterday that accentuates both the muscles and sweat..