Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jul 18, 2010, 10:14 AM   #1

Default What I've been up to lately

Well, I haven't posted any photos in a while as I've been sorta busy with one of my other passions lately which is fishing. I typically fly fish in saltwater for creatures such as striped bass, bonito or albacore. This year I've caught the bug - big time for trying to catch a Blue Fin Tuna which are quite prevalent this time of year in Cape Cod Bay. And no, I'm not using a flyrod. Rather it's fairly rugged spinning gear with 65lb braided mono for the line.

These giants are fast, unpredictable and if your lucky enough to hook one will give you the fight of your life. I've been bringing the camera along in the hopes of capturing a good image. I thought shooting birds in flight was hard. The fish are so fast that it's almost ridiculous to catch them in the viewfinder. I think I've taken about a hundred and fifty frames and have 3 to 4 half decent images to show.

anyways, here's a few. Not great but a start
Zig

E-30 50-200mm aperture priority
Attached Images

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 18, 2010, 12:14 PM   #2

I like them! Almost perfect on that last one, You've certainly caught the spirit of it there.
I imagine it's hard enough trying to catch them on a line. I can just imagine you with a rod in one hand and the camera in the other.
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2010, 2:02 PM   #3

Those tuna are huge! We were in Vancover back in 2004 and went out on the water to where the killer whales live, but I was using a manual focus Nikon F2AS film outfit back then and didn't have a lens long enough to do that type shooting. I didn't stand a chance getting anything, and didn't. I'd figure this type photography to be inherently a low-percentage of keepers type of shooting unless it were a working pro with a lot of experience and the best type equipment, and even then someone like that would probably still never be happy with their success rate.

How do you combat what I know has to be an issue with the salt spray on your equipment?
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2010, 3:38 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scouse View Post
I like them! Almost perfect on that last one, You've certainly caught the spirit of it there.
I imagine it's hard enough trying to catch them on a line. I can just imagine you with a rod in one hand and the camera in the other.
Hi Ken,

I'm sure that if anyone was looking at me , they would have thought I was crazy as I couldn't make up my mind wether I wanted to pick up a rod and make a cast to jumping fish or to pick up the camera and try an take some images.

The fish were so fast that I just couldn't keep up with them. This was a perfect case for having a camera with video capabilities. Even then, it may not have been fast enough.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
Old Jul 18, 2010, 3:48 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
Those tuna are huge!

How do you combat what I know has to be an issue with the salt spray on your equipment?
Hi Greg,

I always bring my camera with me on the boat as you never know when you'll get a chance to take shot of a lifetime. Over time, I've refined my kit to consist of a Tamrac Velocity 7X camera bag. In which, I pack a 50-200mm ED lens, the E-30 with the 12-60mm lens attached. I'm also able to sneak in the EC-20 t-con. and a spare battery. No room for hoods. The camera stays in the bag when we're traveling. When I've got it set up for use. It is wrapped in a full size towel and sits on the top of my center console. The towel does two things. It protects the set up from spray. It also helps to keep the camera from getting banged up.

Keeping my fingers crossed, I have yet to experience any issues with it.

Zig

Old Jul 18, 2010, 4:49 PM   #6

Way to go zig. Number 3 is a great action shot that imparts a sense of speed in the fish's leaping.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2010, 5:35 PM   #7

Zig great images, might not had many keepers but I'm sure you had a blast trying. Bet it would have been entertaining to watch you decide to go for either the rod & reel or the camera.

Charles
cshanaberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2010, 7:36 PM   #8

Hi Steven, Charles,

Thanks for the kind words. I was really surprised that I got a shot as good as that the 2nd time around. So, yes I was pleased with that one in that it does give a viewer a sense of what is going on.

As I mentioned in an earlier response this type of action would be better appreciated if I had a camera with video capabilities. I would have set the lens to it's widest setting and just filmed the mayhem. You could only then really appreciate the speed and fury these monsters exhibit as they crash in on their quarry.

And yes, Charles at one point I caught myself laughing at myself for not being able to make any kind of a decision. Instead, playing the part of a spectator.
Zig

Old Jul 18, 2010, 8:58 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
Hi Steven, Charles,
As I mentioned in an earlier response this type of action would be better appreciated if I had a camera with video capabilities. I would have set the lens to it's widest setting and just filmed the mayhem. You could only then really appreciate the speed and fury these monsters exhibit as they crash in on their quarry.
Zig
Sounds like you could use an E-PL1. You could have put it to good use in that situation. Video would be the main reason that I would consider buying one. But right now I have more pressing needs for the use of my funds.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2010, 6:06 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven R View Post
Sounds like you could use an E-PL1. You could have put it to good use in that situation. Video would be the main reason that I would consider buying one. But right now I have more pressing needs for the use of my funds.
Hi Steven,

I continue to be impressed by what I read about the E-PL1. And yes, one of the main reasons aside from the image quality, size and portability is the ability to shoot movie sequences. I would probably upgrade from the kit 42mm lens that is sold with the camera. But, I've seen them being sold for as low as 519USD.

I actually thought that the E-PL1's video capability was not so good. But I read a review that had samples of video clips. They were quite impressive.

I'll just add it to a long wish list
Zig