Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jul 20, 2010, 3:09 PM   #1

Default a snake

Biak Island Green Tree Python, 30" total length, just a juvenile. The Yellow coloration will change as the snake ages and will become more and more green. The sex of these snakes is unknown until they reach adulthood, as sexing them is dangerous to the snakes fragile anatomy. the Biak Island variant is a lot more aggressive than other variants from the Indonesian/New Guinea chain of islands. This one likes to bite..a lot, heh. It eats once a week and is rather sedentary until it is in shed or ready to feed. beautiful creatures. this was shot with my Olympus E3, Olympus ZD 14-54/f2.8-3.5 Mk I, and two Nikon SB-28 flashes, a red-gelled Honl 1/4" Speed Grid and a DIY Beauty Dish camera left (SB-28 inside dish). The flashes were fired using Radio Popper JrX's.

-=edge=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 20, 2010, 3:42 PM   #2

Nice shots, edge. But I have to tell you that your definition of "beautiful creature" is definitely not the same as my definition.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2010, 3:44 PM   #3

What a beautiful creature. The patterns are really unique-looking.

What kind of venomous punch does this one pack in those bites?

Your lighting is quite nice. Excellent shots.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2010, 6:43 PM   #4

Wow - great photos. Pythons aren't venemous are they? I thought they strangle their prey...

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2010, 6:52 PM   #5

beautiful images & snake Edge, the lighting is great.

Charles
cshanaberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2010, 7:25 PM   #6

Great colors and exposure.

I'm not a snake person so, am not familiear with their habits. But, this pose is certainly an interesting one that I haven't seen before. The snake does look very comfortable though.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2010, 8:12 PM   #7

no venom from this snake Greg, they strangle/asphyxiate their prey as Ted pointed out. This particular species is aboreal Zig, this is their natural position. This snake is only a few months old, I'm trying to get him tame, but it doesn't seem to be working.

The background is actually a piece of black foamboard, the gridded flash is under the snake aimed at the foamboard, that is how the red spotlight effect and vignette is achieved.
Old Jul 20, 2010, 8:35 PM   #8

Wow... that's one heckuva shot! You sure nailed him. Tack sharp!
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2010, 9:23 PM   #9

[QUOTE=-=edge=-;1120391]no venom from this snake Greg, they strangle/asphyxiate their prey as Ted pointed out. This particular species is aboreal Zig, this is their natural position. This snake is only a few months old, I'm trying to get him tame, but it doesn't seem to be working. QUOTE]

Yow....this is a "pet"!

Just remember....these guys will always revert to what they do naturally, no matter how much one tries to domesticate them. I think that's why so many past owners have released these type snakes down in Florida!
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2010, 11:26 PM   #10

[QUOTE=Greg Chappell;1120422]
Quote:
Originally Posted by -=edge=- View Post
no venom from this snake Greg, they strangle/asphyxiate their prey as Ted pointed out. This particular species is aboreal Zig, this is their natural position. This snake is only a few months old, I'm trying to get him tame, but it doesn't seem to be working. QUOTE]

Yow....this is a "pet"!

Just remember....these guys will always revert to what they do naturally, no matter how much one tries to domesticate them. I think that's why so many past owners have released these type snakes down in Florida!

not a pet Greg, I just keep him, I don't "own" him, he'll have none of that...I never expect them to be domestic in nature, but they do tame down quite a lot! These guys only get 6 feet. I don't release exotics into foreign places, I've been keeping reptiles since i was a child in the 70's, so no worries!