Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jul 22, 2010, 5:41 AM   #11

Default The Old and the New

Well, more food for thought.

I do love my E-3. I know several that love their E-1s and have no desire to "move up" as they would have to move down in other areas. At the other extreme, there are those that have "upgrade fever" and need the next hottest body, reguardless of the manufacturer.

For me, and only for me, I have bought into a system and once that's done I need to work within that systems limitations. That goes with ANY choice of systems. You need to examine what you CAN do, and what way there are to work around limitations of the system you own.

If a grand anouncement happened today that Oly was done, all things in the pipeline were thrown into a dumpster and crushed, I'd likely search for a couple low shutter count E-3s and keep on going. The camera will always do what the camera does now, and there are several things it does well. That decision would come from the investment I have made and the respect I have for the glass I now own.

On the other side, I have used a top Nikon camera and 600mm f4 on birds in flight. There is simply no comparison. That system just dusts the Olympus system. If Olympus was at that level and stopped AF development, I would be content forever. That camera just locks onto target and stays there as long as the target stays within the AF area.

I've looked into switching systems. The cost of what I own is no small amount. The cost of replacing with the Nikon system would be double what I have spent. The truth be told, the 600 f4 lens costs as much as every Oly thing in my kit, E-3, 7-14, 11-22, 35-100, 50-200 (2), 14-54,50 f2,35 macro, EC-14, EC-20, and my beloved 300mm f2.8.

https://dogsportphoto.smugmug.com/
fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2010, 6:09 AM   #12

In the not too distant future, my guess is Olympus will make it evident that they will no longer make any new models of E-series cameras. (if they haven't already). At which point, people will begin to sell off their existing Olympus systems in favor of another that better suits their needs.

I'll be happy to take some of their 'obsolete' Olympus equipment off their hands.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2010, 6:24 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by fldspringer View Post
The truth be told, the 600 f4 lens costs as much as every Oly thing in my kit, E-3, 7-14, 11-22, 35-100, 50-200 (2), 14-54,50 f2,35 macro, EC-14, EC-20, and my beloved 300mm f2.8.
And you're not including the cost of the Nikon camera body plus the ATV you'd need to transport them off-road.

I, like Zig and you, am very happy with my Oly equipment. The only thing I'd really like to see in a new camera is another 2 stops of high ISO.

But I also feel that Oly should fix their AF - that's always been a weak point. It works well enough for me but I'm not doing sports or BIF. If I were, I'd be unhappy with their lack of progress.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2010, 8:19 AM   #14

I to would be happy were I am at with Olympus products if they would close up shop. for 99% of what I shoot the e-3 is more than adequate, if like Greg said I work within the limitation of the system.

I got a little curious last night about the shutter system, I mentioned earlier so I snooped around the patents submitted by Olympus the last few years. First off let me say there are a huge amount since 2000. They already have what is called a "continuously variable speed shutter" in there microscope camera system, but these cameras are relatively large. I found a patent on an electrostatic controlled free floating shutter that uses a "Mag-lift train" type system to drive the shutter. this would be most likely a long lasting shutter since it has no mechanical connections. then I found a very interesting patent on what appears to be a new camera control system. This system by the included graphs will increase the dynamic range to 3 times, what the actual sensor can capture. It does this by taking several pre-captures at different exposures before taking the actual image then a complex Exposure & graduation control system takes over to increase the DR.

If anyone is interested in some dry reading, I downloaded the full patent & I can e-mail it to you.

Charles

Last edited by cshanaberger; Jul 22, 2010 at 8:40 AM.
cshanaberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2010, 12:14 PM   #15

This was an interesting comment in a discussion about the new Fuji digicam that utilizes both Contast and Phase-detection AF..

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=35848708

Something Olympus could be doing in a mirrorless camera that would cure any AF speed issues and leave them with needing to speed up the EVF response time. The problem is, by the time they get around to that, Canon and/or Nikon will get it right, have their own systems out and Olympus, due their own earth-shattering speed of doing anything, will probably be in the same position in this market they are now with their DSLR's....and still not saying anything.

As the preferred provider of endoscopes for proctologists, there are a few anticdotes I can think of that one could apply to the people that run their camera division.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Jul 22, 2010 at 1:49 PM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2010, 2:11 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
This was an interesting comment in a discussion about the new Fuji digicam that utilizes both Contast and Phase-detection AF..

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=35848708

As the preferred provider of endoscopes for proctologists, there are a few anticdotes I can think of that one could apply to the people that run their camera division.
Now, now Greg,

As philosophically correct those anecdotes may be, they may not be politically correct for this site.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
Old Jul 22, 2010, 5:26 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by cshanaberger View Post
I snooped around the patents submitted by Olympus the last few years. First off let me say there are a huge amount since 2000.
Charles
Charles, you caused me to step back and think about the potential future of digital photography. I'm realizing that in the past I've had the subconscious attitude that digital photography would likely progress at a rate like film photography did. I am realizing that I've been wrong about that - in retrospect the chemistry advancements of film progressed slowly. The electronic advancements of digital photography have progressed extremely rapidly, in concert with the rapid advancements in digital technology in general. So although I've noted that I'm reasonably happy with what my photography equipment can do right now, I have the feeling that we may very well see a total paradigm shift on what digital photography is capable of, over the next decade.

Dunno whether Oly will be part of that, but I'm getting the feeling that what we all want to do with photography a decade from now, won't have much to do with the camera bodies we have now. I just hope my expensive glass is still OK...

Ted

PS: This is all lubricated by a very good cocktail after a very long day at work...

Edit: One near-term example is this. Suppose the camera's CPU was powerful enough to overcome the DR limitation of the sensor. I.e. it computes the DR needed and causes the camera to shoot a sorta HDR exposure sequence and combines them in a final RAW file that provides the DR we really want.

Last edited by tkurkowski; Jul 22, 2010 at 5:39 PM.
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2010, 7:55 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post
Charles, you caused me to step back and think about the potential future of digital photography. I'm realizing that in the past I've had the subconscious attitude that digital photography would likely progress at a rate like film photography did. I am realizing that I've been wrong about that - in retrospect the chemistry advancements of film progressed slowly. The electronic advancements of digital photography have progressed extremely rapidly, in concert with the rapid advancements in digital technology in general. So although I've noted that I'm reasonably happy with what my photography equipment can do right now, I have the feeling that we may very well see a total paradigm shift on what digital photography is capable of, over the next decade.

Dunno whether Oly will be part of that, but I'm getting the feeling that what we all want to do with photography a decade from now, won't have much to do with the camera bodies we have now. I just hope my expensive glass is still OK...

Ted
Now you're branching out into an area that really gets me excited. I wish I were 15 or 20 years younger so that I could be around and actually be able to enjoy some of the newer technology that is going to be developed during this period.

Where will Oly be in all of this? I certainly can't predict that. But a hint of the direction that Panasonic is taking and Oly might go as well with the fourthirds sensors is HD video cameras. Panasonic has revealed a little bit about their upcoming Four Thirds pro video camera, the AG-AF100.
You can read about it on Luminous Landscapes' website.

There are lots of innovations coming out in the area of digital video cameras.
The Red One is another groundbreaking product directed at the professional movie studios. You can read about it as well as see a video at:
http://www.macvideo.tv/camera-techno...eviewid=103680

This is pure speculation on my part, but there are applications outside of conventional dslr cameras where Olympus could take their fourthirds concept and lenses and make some significant inroads. Medical and video digital cinema cameras being just two.

Zig

On second thought; nah! that'll never happen..............

Last edited by zig-123; Jul 22, 2010 at 8:07 PM.
Old Jul 22, 2010, 9:48 PM   #19

Ted, your last comment about the hdr type dr is exactly what this new camera control system looks like it does. it takes 3 precapture exposures calculates 3 separate tone curves 1 for highlights, 1 for shadows, & 1 for mid-tones then applies these curves to a segmented area of the sensors recorded data in the "real capture". Now this would be useful in itself for landscape shots with skies, but according to what I understand from the patent it also has the ability to determine & graduate the exposure on a group of people so all the faces have the same exposure, & there is other modes in the control system for macro,& night scenes exposure graduation. IF this ever sees the light of day & it actual works & doesn't have the cartoonish look of present HDR this could be a great advancement. but there are probably thousands of patents that never come to fruition. so one can only hope.

Charles
cshanaberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2010, 1:18 AM   #20

As much as I love my E-1 and am tempted by an E-3 I have to admit if Oly gave up on DSLRs I wouldn't be too bummed. For the type of shooting I do most of the new technologies in the pipes aren't needed. A simple camera is all I need. On a related note, because of all the old P-K glass I have if pentax offered something like the E-1 I might switch, assuming the image quality was good enough.
John
jelow1966 is offline   Reply With Quote