Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jul 23, 2010, 8:11 AM   #21
Senior Member
 
tkurkowski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Maryland, USA
Posts: 3,625
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cshanaberger View Post
Ted, your last comment about the hdr type dr is exactly what this new camera control system looks like it does.... IF this ever sees the light of day & it actual works & doesn't have the cartoonish look of present HDR this could be a great advancement. but there are probably thousands of patents that never come to fruition. so one can only hope.
Charles
Ooops, Charles, I was in a hurry and didn't pay as much attention to your explanation as I should have - sorry. I've been thinking about that issue because for as long as I've been doing photography, DR has been an issue. It was with film and printing paper (Ansel Adam's Zone system was one way to try to deal with it), and it's still an issue.

I agree with your assessment that most HDR is cartoonish. Maybe we should call that patented system BDR (B for Better). If Oly really can do that they'd be crazy not to implement it.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2010, 8:21 AM   #22
Senior Member
 
tkurkowski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Maryland, USA
Posts: 3,625
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
Now you're branching out into an area that really gets me excited. I wish I were 15 or 20 years younger so that I could be around and actually be able to enjoy some of the newer technology that is going to be developed during this period.
Zig
I started my professional career as a nuclear engineer some 4 decades ago and have been involved with cutting-edge technology ever since. So I can say that the one thing that's certain is that it's almost impossible to accurately predict future technology advances. Kodak spent millions trying to find a light-sensitive organic compound to replace silver because they were concerned about the future of film and printing paper. Well, silver-based film did get replaced, but not the way they expected.

If you had asked be a couple of decades ago what I thought would be happening at this time I never would have predicted that I could have a little unit in my car that would talk to me and tell me what roads and turns to make to drive to a place I haven't been to before. But I would have (and often did) predicted that by 2010 we wouldn't be using keyboards much because voice recognition software would be so refined and integrated into computers (like the original writers of Star Trek assumed). So go figure...

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2010, 12:57 PM   #23
Senior Member
 
zig-123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Cape Cod, Massachusetts
Posts: 5,156
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post
I started my professional career as a nuclear engineer some 4 decades ago and have been involved with cutting-edge technology ever since. So I can say that the one thing that's certain is that it's almost impossible to accurately predict future technology advances. Kodak spent millions trying to find a light-sensitive organic compound to replace silver because they were concerned about the future of film and printing paper. Well, silver-based film did get replaced, but not the way they expected.

If you had asked be a couple of decades ago what I thought would be happening at this time I never would have predicted that I could have a little unit in my car that would talk to me and tell me what roads and turns to make to drive to a place I haven't been to before. But I would have (and often did) predicted that by 2010 we wouldn't be using keyboards much because voice recognition software would be so refined and integrated into computers (like the original writers of Star Trek assumed). So go figure...

Ted
Well, my career was a bit less glamorous and less technical than yours. I started out working for a St. Louis based manufacturer of industrial marking equipment used largely for product identification and making shipping labels. The company invented the stencil cutting machine in 1894. When I started with them in 1969, that was still their most "technical" piece of equipment.
When the IBM pc Jr. came out, it revolutionized what we could offer in the way of equipment that would automatically print and apply a barcoded label onto a package moving down a conveyor line. We were so successful offering on line marking solutions that we branched out and started to manufacture and sell on line non-contact ink jet printing equipment on consumer products or direct to carton marking systems. We had equipment that could print a barcode on a moving item such as a coke can at 1200 cans per minute.
Technology revolutionized every facet of the manufacturing marketplace and I was fortunate enough to be involved at it's inception.

I had a blast. I loved going to work everyday because I became involved in multi million dollar projects to automate production lines for many of the Fortune 500 companies. I've always enjoyed being involved in the technical aspects of any new technology. I can't wait to see what the future brings!
The only thing I know about the future is that I'm not smart enough to be able to predict it.

Zig
__________________
http://scortoncreekgallery.smugmug.com/

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2010, 3:08 PM   #24
Senior Member
 
Steven R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 5,908
Default

Hey guys: when I started this little thread it didn’t cross my mind that it would generate as much interest, and so many replies. Must have hit a hot button, I guess. The ideas, observations, and insightful replies have all been very interesting and informative. (Perhaps proof of just how good is the group that uses this forum.)

In reading this thread, there are some interesting observations on the future, and how we can’t always predict where it is headed. I’m not a technical person, but I am a history buff. Look back at the changes in photography, from the large view cameras with glass plates, to the only slightly smaller view cameras, to the medium formats, roll film cameras, to the 35mm. In most cases, the progression has been from larger to smaller.

When the 35mm grew, it was thru consumers’ acceptance of smaller first, while many of the “professionals” (advertising agencies, portrait pros, etc.) looked down their nose at the “small toys”, and stuck to the 4x5 roll film and medium format. (Which in themselves had previous replaced the larger view cameras before them.) Then the studio pros gradually shifted away from their larger cameras to the relatively small Nikon 35mm SLRs, and today to the digital SLRs.

My question: are we now witnessing the same shift that has been repeated over and over in photo history? Has Oly actually started the beginning a new era of the pocket reflex with SLR quality, that will be accepted first by consumers, and as improvements come, will become a tool of the pros?

Look at the size of typical hardware used to film movies or TV commercials. Now look at the high quality of the Olympus commercial filmed entirely with a Pen. If they had not shown us that the whole thing was filmed with just a Pen, would anyone have guessed it? It was a well made, well photographed commercial; the camera was only a small fraction of the size of the typical commercial film camera.
This could never have been done with the previous crop of typical consumer pocket cameras, only with an Oly/Pana m4/3rds.

Anyway, I’m just sharing some observations that can be some food for thought.

Last edited by Steven R; Jul 23, 2010 at 5:07 PM.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2010, 3:18 PM   #25
Senior Member
 
zig-123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Cape Cod, Massachusetts
Posts: 5,156
Default

take a look at this info on a panasonic HD digital cinema video camera about to be released by Panasonic. It was originally posted at Luminous Landscapes

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/AG-AF100.pdf

Zig
__________________
http://scortoncreekgallery.smugmug.com/

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2010, 4:24 PM   #26
Senior Member
 
Steven R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 5,908
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
take a look at this info on a panasonic HD digital cinema video camera about to be released by Panasonic. It was originally posted at Luminous Landscapes

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/AG-AF100.pdf

Zig
That's impressive, I had not seen that. A real fusion of SLR and cinema technology. Do you remember how big the movie cameras that use 35mm film are? This one will have same or better quality in a much smaller package, with all the many lens choices thrown in!
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2010, 2:26 AM   #27
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Washington State
Posts: 930
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven R View Post

My question: are we now witnessing the same shift that has been repeated over and over in photo history? Has Oly actually started the beginning a new era of the pocket reflex with SLR quality, that will be accepted first by consumers, and as improvements come, will become a tool of the pros?
I'm sure Oly hopes so. They may be onto something as they have already proven that you can film just as good of a commercial as Nikon with a camera half the size and I know a lot of people would prefer to not lug around an SLR. There are times I'd love to have a Pen but since most of my shooting is with long lenses it doesn't really make much sense. Still, m4/3rds with a 45-200 would be a nice little backup/ spur of the moment setup to have if it weren't for the cost.

John
jelow1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:15 AM.