Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jul 24, 2010, 11:51 AM   #1

Default A ball head for a Bigma?

I posted this in another forum on here but I don't think it's getting to much traffic there so I'm going to try here as well. I just got a Bigma I want to try out on my vacation coming up in Aug. and so far the rsults with my E-620 are looking pretty good.

OK. Here goes nothing. Which ball heads have you had success with when using a Bigma lens? I'm on a somewhat limited budget but I'm not going to buy a piece of trash only to have to replace it 5 minutes down the road. I've got a Manfrotto 685B Neotec Monopod on order and I'd like to find the rigght head for it. Thanks again.
Bayoublaster400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 24, 2010, 1:43 PM   #2

Everyone may have a different opinion.

How about considering this:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ivel_Tilt.html

I think a ball head has too many degrees of freedom.

I use the Acratech GV2, but I use it exclusively in its "gimbal" slot which functions similarly to what this head does. This head is WAY cheaper to boot.

Side note, pay attention to thread size.

https://dogsportphoto.smugmug.com/
fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2010, 6:19 PM   #3

Thaks for the help. I'll give it a look.
Old Jul 25, 2010, 1:28 AM   #4
Super Moderator

I personally never use a head on a monopod as you can easily move adjust the angle by moving forwards or backwards. I use a Sigma 120-300mm f2.8 with a 2x TC for wildlife and not had a problem. I would really play around more without the head first as think you will likely find the same (most of us seem to).

Have fun everyone!

See what I'm up to visit my Plymouth Wedding Photography
site or go to my blog.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2010, 8:57 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1616 View Post
I personally never use a head on a monopod as you can easily move adjust the angle by moving forwards or backwards. I use a Sigma 120-300mm f2.8 with a 2x TC for wildlife and not had a problem. I would really play around more without the head first as think you will likely find the same (most of us seem to).
I guess its a "your mileage may vary" type of thing. Alot may be centered on what is being shot. Anything near horizontal, this would work fine. Upward bird shots in excess of 30 degrees and downward angles for some macro applications would be less ideal. This would be more complicated, of course as lens/camera weight increases.

The setup I use allows free movement in the vertical axis and the weight remains over the foot of the monopod. For me that works better and allows more piece of mind for my expensive/heavy equipment.

Old Jul 25, 2010, 9:04 AM   #6
Super Moderator

It's true, we are all different. I find that as soon as we are talking BIFs or anything then there is no monopod tall enough for that sort of angle as I'm 6'6" tall so just pick up the rig and shoot handheld. For shorter people who can get the gear high enough then possibly being able to aim up would work.

Have fun everyone!

See what I'm up to visit my Plymouth Wedding Photography
site or go to my blog.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2010, 9:42 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1616 View Post
It's true, we are all different. I find that as soon as we are talking BIFs or anything then there is no monopod tall enough for that sort of angle as I'm 6'6" tall so just pick up the rig and shoot handheld. For shorter people who can get the gear high enough then possibly being able to aim up would work.
I guess I may use varying height more than some. Collapsed fully, my monopod is at a perfect height for sitting cross legged on the ground. I sometimes us it a kneeling height, sometimes standing. If I want to shoot at a higher angle and I need to slump down some for that shot, I do so.

Here's the last time I shot w/ the monopod.

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/ol...g-horicon.html

It was 600mm (1200mm EFL) and I think you can see there are varying angles and varying monopod heights.

For BIF, I don't shoot off a monopod, and I don't use the leavy lens handheld because I'm not that good. I do use a tripod/gimbal combo and I'm still not that great.

Bottom line is to do what works for you, and the advise you gave to try without a head is certainly valid. There is no right/wrong here. Just finding a solution that is comfortable and effective.

Old Jul 25, 2010, 10:03 PM   #8

Well I certainly appreciate each and every reply. I can always count on the members here to be open and most of all honest in their opinions, experience and advice. I gonna do both and try without the head first and since I already ordered a ball head, I'll give it a try also. Just out of curiosity, I know I can rotate the Bigma lens I have using the ring on the scope so that I can take both horizontal and vertical pics, but with other smaller zoom lenses without a ring and provided you are using a head on the monopod, do you find it awkward or off balance when trying to take a vertical pic due to the wieght not being directly over the monopod? Thanks again!