Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jul 27, 2010, 9:44 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Dallas, Texas USA
Posts: 6,519
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post
I did but forgot. Got it. I used to remember things better...

My family and I are in a motel, hoping our house can get power back soon. PEPCO has crews here from Delaware and Pennsylvania trying to fix all the damage from the Sunday storm, which left a quarter million people without power.

Ted
Yikes! Ditto for Zig's comments...you have more important things to think about these days.

My girlfriend and her mother stayed with me a few days this past winter when a snow storm the likes we aren't used to hit and many lost power, including them for several days....fortunately, not me. Keep us updated.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2010, 9:52 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
Steven R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 5,908
Default

Ted: Good luck and I hope your power is back on soon. That's bound to be a tough situation for a lot of people, including yourself. Please keep us all posted, we will be thinking of you.

(Besides, you need to get back home so you can regularly post to the forum. Who is is going to enjoy my alligator shots??)
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2010, 12:52 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
tkurkowski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Maryland, USA
Posts: 3,625
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
Hi Ted,

I must be living under a rock as I didn't know anything about the storm that hit your area.

Sorry to hear about your situation. Hope you and your family can get back into your home soon.

Zig
Thanks, Zig. You probably didn't hear about it because it didn't affect the District so Congress was able to continue to create mischief...

We're back home now but there are still a lot of folks without power, even with PEPCO getting additional help from utilities in Ohio and North Carolina. Apparently most electric lines in the county had tree limbs on them. What do you call a storm with excessively high winds but isn't a hurricane?

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2010, 2:22 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
boBBrennan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Arlington, Texas USA
Posts: 3,565
Default

Quote:
What do you call a storm with excessively high winds but isn't a hurricane?
If the wind ain't going in a circle, then just plain TROUBLE.........
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2010, 3:24 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Steven R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Tampa, Florida
Posts: 5,908
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post
................. What do you call a storm with excessively high winds but isn't a hurricane?

Ted
When I lived in Virginia Beach they used to call them a Nor'easter.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2010, 4:45 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
tkurkowski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Maryland, USA
Posts: 3,625
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven R View Post
When I lived in Virginia Beach they used to call them a Nor'easter.
Yeah, and above I called it a nor'wester - obviously I'm a little frazzled right now.

But nor'easters are winter storms, right? This sucker was a summer storm. There are some 300 cherry-picker electrical line repair trucks here from out of town, repairing the damage. Jeeeez...

Related to photography, all those out of town trucks were parked in the county fairgrounds. I sure wish I could have gotten a photo of them, but I was moving my family to air-conditioned accommodations. As they say, when the Queen is happy, there is peace in the Kingdom.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2010, 6:38 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
zig-123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Cape Cod, Massachusetts
Posts: 5,156
Default

Ted, Glad to hear you and the family are safely back in your home.

Even though losing power and having to move the family to a hotel is certainly more than just a little inconvenience, I hope that's all you've had to endure and that the homestead is intact and didn't suffer any damage.

Zig

Oh, and my answer to your question about what the storm is called.......
I call that a "royal pain in the a___"
__________________
http://scortoncreekgallery.smugmug.com/

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2010, 7:29 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
zig-123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Cape Cod, Massachusetts
Posts: 5,156
Default

The conversation regarding NorthEasters started me thinking about the really big Northeaster in the New England area -the Blizzard of '78. It was a most interesting time, in that, the roads were shut down for almost a two week period. Only emergency vehicles were allowed to be on the road.
Since everyone had to walk to get anywhere, there was a real sense of community and neighbors helping fellow neighbors deal with the inconveniences of having to do everything on foot.

This is an old photo that I took with a Yashica MAT 124 (2-1/4" negative)
If you notice, there is not a car around anywhere. Everyone on foot and the snow banks showing that not too many people had been able to plow their driveways out at that point.

My sense of it is that this must have been close to what you had to endure this Winter, Ted. When you posted all those impressive winter scenes around your property.

I hope you get a chance to post some photos from this storm for us to be able to get a better appreciation for what happened.

Zig
Attached Images
 
__________________
http://scortoncreekgallery.smugmug.com/

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2010, 1:59 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
tkurkowski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Maryland, USA
Posts: 3,625
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
Yikes! Ditto for Zig's comments...you have more important things to think about these days.

My girlfriend and her mother stayed with me a few days this past winter when a snow storm the likes we aren't used to hit and many lost power, including them for several days....fortunately, not me. Keep us updated.
Hi, Greg. We got power back at our house yesterday morning so it was just one day in a motel. We lost some $200 worth of food but all in all we were luckier than many folks here. Two big tree limbs came down in our yard - one only a foot from the front of the house and the other a few feet from the rear. Other folks had trees come down on their houses so we feel fortunate. In some areas folks couldn't go back to work until today - their businesses just got power back. That storm only lasted for maybe 15 minutes but it packed a wallop.

The weather here this year has been way more extreme than usual. Aside from that snowstorm I posted photos of and this storm (photos to come), starting in June almost all days have been above 90 which is a record - we don't usually get above 90 regularly until late July or August. Jeez do I miss northern Arizona...

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2010, 2:03 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
tkurkowski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Maryland, USA
Posts: 3,625
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
The conversation regarding NorthEasters started me thinking about the really big Northeaster in the New England area -the Blizzard of '78. It was a most interesting time, in that, the roads were shut down for almost a two week period. Only emergency vehicles were allowed to be on the road.
Since everyone had to walk to get anywhere, there was a real sense of community and neighbors helping fellow neighbors deal with the inconveniences of having to do everything on foot.

This is an old photo that I took with a Yashica MAT 124 (2-1/4" negative)
If you notice, there is not a car around anywhere. Everyone on foot and the snow banks showing that not too many people had been able to plow their driveways out at that point.

My sense of it is that this must have been close to what you had to endure this Winter, Ted. When you posted all those impressive winter scenes around your property.

I hope you get a chance to post some photos from this storm for us to be able to get a better appreciation for what happened.

Zig
Our area after the blizzard this winter looked a lot like your photo. The difference is that nowadays a lot of folks have snowblowers so here we had our driveways clear. We had nowhere to go, but by golly we were ready...

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 6:18 AM.