Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jul 28, 2010, 11:58 AM   #1

Default Who says you can't make money in photography?

And to think, I told my wife to stop wasting her time at yard sales & garage sales.

$200 million for spending $45. I could have paid off most of my bills with that! LOL!!

Below is an excerpt. The full story can be found at:
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/07/27...-adams-photos/

BEVERLY HILLS, Calif. -- A trove of old glass negatives bought at a garage sale for $45 have been authenticated as the lost work of famed nature photographer Ansel Adams and are worth at least $200 million, an attorney for the owner said Tuesday.
A team of experts concluded after an exhaustive, six-month examination that the 65 negatives are Adams' early work, which were believed to have been destroyed in a 1937 fire at his Yosemite National Park studio, Arnold Peter said.
"These photographs are really the missing link," he said. "They really fill the void in Ansel Adams' early career."
Adams is best known for his striking black-and-white photographs, mainly landscapes, of the American West. He died in 1984 at 82.
Rick Norsigian, a construction worker and painter, said he bought the negatives 10 years ago at a Fresno garage sale after bargaining down the seller to $45...............................................
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 28, 2010, 1:07 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven R View Post
$200 million for spending $45. I could have paid off most of my bills with that! LOL!!
Maybe. But maybe you would have upgraded to a complete Leica S2 kit with lenses, and a compact backup Leica digital rangefinder with prime lenses, and not had any money left to pay bills...

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2010, 1:54 PM   #3

Default Negatives

Well those negatives would need the treatment that only Ansel Adams knew to give them to come out as prints that are very well known.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2010, 3:54 PM   #4

Didn't I read these were the subject of a lawsuit? Not sure who you could sue if you were the former owner. If I were the new owner and the previous one wasn't trying to sue or be a jerk about things I'd share some of the money with him/her anyway. It's not like there wouldn't be plenty left and I'd feel bad if I didn't at least offer.

John
jelow1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2010, 12:19 PM   #5

They may NOT be Adams' negatives afterall:

"A Bay Area woman may have solid proof to support the assertions of the Ansel Adams estate that negatives a Fresno man bought at a yard sale were not taken by the famed nature photographer as he claims. She thinks they may have been taken by her Uncle Earl. Oakland resident Mariam l. Walton saw a picture of the famous Jeffrey Pine on Sentinal Dome at Yosemite during a report about the find on KTVU Tuesday night. She said she immediately recognized the image as one taken by her uncle, Earl Brooks, back in 1923. “I thought ‘Oh my God, that's exactly the same picture,’” said Walton. Walton said her uncle lived in the Fresno area much of his life and often took pictures at Yosemite. The photo taken by Walton’s Uncle Earl looks nearly identical to one of the examples that Norsigan has claimed to be from Ansel Adams."

Full story at:
http://www.ktvu.com/news/24432262/detail.html
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2010, 6:48 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikefellh View Post
They may NOT be Adams' negatives afterall:

"A Bay Area woman may have solid proof to support the assertions of the Ansel Adams estate that negatives a Fresno man bought at a yard sale were not taken by the famed nature photographer as he claims. She thinks they may have been taken by her Uncle Earl. Oakland resident Mariam l. Walton saw a picture of the famous Jeffrey Pine on Sentinal Dome at Yosemite during a report about the find on KTVU Tuesday night. She said she immediately recognized the image as one taken by her uncle, Earl Brooks, back in 1923. “I thought ‘Oh my God, that's exactly the same picture,’” said Walton. Walton said her uncle lived in the Fresno area much of his life and often took pictures at Yosemite. The photo taken by Walton’s Uncle Earl looks nearly identical to one of the examples that Norsigan has claimed to be from Ansel Adams."

Full story at:
http://www.ktvu.com/news/24432262/detail.html
Doubt that claim will fly; experts have been examining those for months before the announcement, including a weather expert who authenticated the cloud patterns and weather reports as the same clouds in a known Adams photo taken the same day. Also, the experts discovered the Adams negs were supposedly lost in a garage fire, and some of them had some fire damage around the edges. There were some other things which caused the experts to confirm them as Adams after a lot of investigations.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote