Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jul 31, 2010, 2:23 PM   #1

Default E-520 at the R/C flyimg field

A took a couple of pictures art my R/C flying field this morning
First is a friends T28. Chasing it with a 70-300 . Shutter should of been faster.
Second is my BF 108 G . I thought B/W would look OK
It is really hard to take a picture of my BF 109 while I was flying it.
I will try again in the future
Attached Images

FredS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 31, 2010, 6:23 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Good to see another RC pilot on here

With a bit of panning practise you will soon get better in flight results. How much did you crop the photo down as if the plane isn't filling about 2/3 of the frame you are too far away. 1/800s is as fast as I would go and 1/400-1/500s is about right for good prop blur and with helis you need to go slower.

It can be done, I shoot with a 600mm lens and no IS, it really is just practising the panning to get the shots.

Looking forward to see more.
Old Jul 31, 2010, 6:58 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1616 View Post
Good to see another RC pilot on here

With a bit of panning practise you will soon get better in flight results. How much did you crop the photo down as if the plane isn't filling about 2/3 of the frame you are too far away. 1/800s is as fast as I would go and 1/400-1/500s is about right for good prop blur and with helis you need to go slower.

It can be done, I shoot with a 600mm lens and no IS, it really is just practising the panning to get the shots.

Looking forward to see more.
Hello Mark 1616
The T28 is cropped about 50 % . He was approx 80m away from me. A little too far out
Moving fast. As you know , R/C war birds do not like to fly slow. Practising the panning is the key here.
I used shutter priority of 800 because of the speed. Another learning experience.
I also have a 40-150 ( 80-300 ) which is better for moving objects
Next time I will ask the guys if they would do a some slow fly bys
It was fun trying to catch R/C aircraft. More to come in the future

Fred..

Last edited by FredS; Jul 31, 2010 at 7:09 PM.
FredS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2010, 3:15 AM   #4
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredS View Post
Hello Mark 1616
The T28 is cropped about 50 % . He was approx 80m away from me. A little too far out
Moving fast. As you know , R/C war birds do not like to fly slow. Practising the panning is the key here.
I used shutter priority of 800 because of the speed. Another learning experience.
I also have a 40-150 ( 80-300 ) which is better for moving objects
Next time I will ask the guys if they would do a some slow fly bys
It was fun trying to catch R/C aircraft. More to come in the future

Fred..
Brilliant, can't wait

Always a good time is during landing as they will be slowing up and you can get some nice approach shots, depending on how your field is this can bring some nice background elements in.

Also, it's true that a lot of the guys like photos of their birds in flight so they will be keen to help with a good shot.

Hope you don't mind, but here are a couple of shots to get you excited about the possibilities of bringing a background element into the photo.