Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Aug 5, 2010, 2:22 PM   #1

Default Olympus 50mm f/1.8 zuiko om lens

Is the OLYMPUS 50MM F/1.8 ZUIKO OM LENS worh the $40.00 gamble
and an adapter for my E-520.
I know its manual focus.
Is it better than my 14-42 kit lense for lower light . F/1.8 ???

Thanks in advance
Fred..
FredS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 5, 2010, 6:00 PM   #2

My example is not better. The quality varies. I read that the sharper examples are marked "Japan" as opposed to "Made in Japan" or nothing at all but don't know if that is the case or not. I have one and in tests I ran it was not very sharp wide open. The 50mm 1.8 Series E Nikon lens all seem very good. I have a 50 and 100 and like them both. I posted some examples I shot with my ebay Nikon 50 1.8 Series E here: http://forums.steves-digicams.com/ol...acy-glass.html

Last edited by turbines; Aug 5, 2010 at 6:03 PM.
turbines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2010, 10:18 PM   #3

Hi Fred: I have a lot of legacy OM lens from my OM2n; don't use them all that much, but I have both the 50mm 1.8 and the 50mm macro. For $40 you can't go wrong if you insist on using the legacy lens, so I say go for it.

The 50 gives good results, but requires more work, and won't give as many "keepers" as the same number of shots with a digital. My most used legacy lens is the macro.

I ran some photo tests, and don't feel that they outperform the digital, especially considering the extra work.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2010, 10:39 PM   #4

Personally I'd save my pennies and get the current 50mm F/2 macro, otherwise known in some 4:3 quarters as the gold standard. Oh, I just did that didn't I.

A. C.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2010, 4:54 PM   #5

I have the OM50/1.8 as well as other OM lenses...to be honest most of the time they are left at home...most of the time I just go with the 14-42 and 40-150(old). If I'm shooting nature I have an OM mount 60-300 I'll take, or my 500mm T-mount, but other than that I just use the kit lenses...although thinking about it, I think tomorrow I'll leave the 40-150 at home and take the 60-300 instead...I don't think I'll miss the 40-60 range.

Last edited by Mikefellh; Aug 6, 2010 at 4:57 PM.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2010, 10:27 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredS View Post
Is the OLYMPUS 50MM F/1.8 ZUIKO OM LENS worh the $40.00 gamble
and an adapter for my E-520.
I know its manual focus.
Is it better than my 14-42 kit lense for lower light . F/1.8 ???

Thanks in advance
Fred..

Hi Fred,

From my experience using OM Zuiko lenses as well as various other legacy glass, the answer is no. It really isn't worth spending the money since, the digital lenses made by Olympus are optimized for the digital camera bodies,
while the OM lenses are not. Add to that, the small optical viewfinder of the E-4xx and E-5xx series cameras which make manually focusing a legacy lens rather difficult. Oh, and if you wear glasses as I do, that just adds more fun to the mix.
Yes, you can manually focus a legacy lens fairly accurately using live view-if your application allows you to do that.
By the way, some people use split screen viewfinders that they buy on EBay that work the same way as the split screen focusing screens used in 35mm cameras. Trouble with those are that they mess up the metering system in the camera.(more wasted money).

If low light shooting is really important to you, save your money and instead I would look into the Sigma 24mm 1.8, the Sigma 50mm 1.4, or the 30mm 1.4 lenses. They would be a better choice.

IMHO, if you already own legacy glass, then by all means have fun with them. But to go out and buy OM lenses, well the better investment is in a digital lens.

By the way, the 50mm 2.0 can be a bugger to focus in lowlight as it tends to hunt quite a bit. (my experience)

If you still really want to pursue the OM 50mm 1.8 legacy option. I'll be happy to send you my 50mm 1.8 OM lens with an adapter for you to use for a couple of weeks.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.

Last edited by zig-123; Aug 6, 2010 at 10:30 PM.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2010, 2:13 AM   #7

Buy old glass, it's cheap and fun. No, it's not really as good as the top notch Oly lenses of today but it's a fraction of the cost. And for some things, like say a fast 400mm, it's the only way to go. Besides from my experience when you get tired of them, if you ever do, selling them for what you paid is easy. What's to lose?

John
jelow1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2010, 11:11 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
Hi Fred,

If you still really want to pursue the OM 50mm 1.8 legacy option. I'll be happy to send you my 50mm 1.8 OM lens with an adapter for you to use for a couple of weeks.

Zig
Thankyou very much for the offer Zig.
I think I will put that idea on hold for now, and check out other options
as Sigma lenses as you suggested.
I do wear glasses, and I thought maual focus could be a problem.

Fred..
Old Aug 7, 2010, 5:39 PM   #9

All of this sparked my curiosity so I ran some not so scientific tests on a few lenses. I compared the Olympus 12 -20 Digital to a Zuiko 50mm 1.8, Zuiko 50mm 1.4 and a Nikon Series E 50 1.8. The shots were made on a heavy tripod and I used the self timer to allow everything to settle down before each exposure. I shot 3 exposure at each aperture, refocusing in between. I picked the best of the three for the comparisons.

In the end Zig is correct: the digital lenses are probably all hard to beat.
Attached Images

turbines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2010, 8:01 PM   #10

Here is a Canuck $5.00 bill
14-42 Kit lense
ISO 100 F8.0 Shutter 800
With good light NO complaints
Attached Images