Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Aug 9, 2010, 6:32 AM   #1

Default The 40-150mm mkI lens

Often times the lens you have is more capable than you think. A great example of this is this link to a series of images all taken with the 40-150mm version I
lens.

http://flickriver.com/lenses/olympus/40150mm/

I caught this on DPReview this morning. The images are stunning. And,if I may add, a pretty good argument for the quality of the kit lenses that Olympus provides with their camera bodies.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 9, 2010, 7:16 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
And,if I may add, a pretty good argument for the quality of the kit lenses that Olympus provides with their camera bodies.
At least for the Mk1...the MkII on the other hand is another story, the way they cheapened it by having a plastic mount.

My only wish would be if the Mk1 focused faster.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2010, 8:30 AM   #3

....I have that lens and the MK-I 14-45; both are very good.
____
boBB

E-300 MK-I 40-150 f/3.5-4.5

E-300 MK-I 14-45 f/3.5-4.5

Last edited by boBBrennan; Aug 9, 2010 at 12:29 PM.
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2010, 12:22 PM   #4

I bought my 500 with the 2 kit lenses and have been quite happy. Sometimes I've felt that the 40-150 (metal mount) was a tad soft, but comes up well in PP.
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2010, 6:59 PM   #5

[QUOTE=Mikefellh;1127574]At least for the Mk1...the MkII on the other hand is another story, the way they cheapened it by having a plastic mount.

My only wish would be if the Mk1 focused faster.[/QUO

Hi Mike,
Point well made. I've not owned a kit lens that is equipped with the plastic mount. So, can't comment on the build quality. The 40-150mm that I have is the f3.5-4.5 mkI version.

I've not used it in a while. But the gallery I viewed this morning gives me a reason to pull it out of the closet and go have some fun with it.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
Old Aug 9, 2010, 7:00 PM   #6

Hi Bob,

Good examples of the sharpness and quality you can pull out of kit lenses. Thanks for sharing.

Old Aug 9, 2010, 7:02 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scouse View Post
I bought my 500 with the 2 kit lenses and have been quite happy. Sometimes I've felt that the 40-150 (metal mount) was a tad soft, but comes up well in PP.
Hi Ken,

I actually haven't used the 40-150mm lens since I bought the E-30. Your comment and Mike's make me want to try it out for IQ and focus response and see what happens.

Zig

Old Aug 9, 2010, 8:22 PM   #8

I always loved the idea of a kit lens that was fast enough to limit DOF and it was one of my favorite doggie portrait lenses.

This is, perhaps, my all time favorite dog portrait.

On the wide end.

And this is at 150mm

In all honesty, the 40-150 mk1 is the reason I shoot Olympus today. If they can supply a lens as versatile as this with an inexpensive DSLR kit, I simply decided to stay with Olympus and their other excellent lenses.

I tried using it, even after the 50-200 was in the kit. The half press timing was tuned to the better lens and I wasn't comfortable with that extra instant to get to focus. It went into dis-use.

All came out for the best that the old E500 two lens kit got handed down to the niece and nephew. I actually enjoyed that old camera too. The 14-45 never did light my fire, but that old E500/40-150 combo will continue to gain my respect.

https://dogsportphoto.smugmug.com/
fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2010, 8:54 PM   #9

Hi Greg,

With results like these, I can easily see why you like the 40-150mm mkI. The images are tack sharp as well as having wonderful detail.

Interesting to know that these were all taken with the 40-150mm. I've seen these images in the past and just figured that they were all taken with the 50-200mm

thanks for sharing

Zig

By the way, the 2nd image is really outstanding.

Old Aug 9, 2010, 9:33 PM   #10

Interesting discussion. I do not own the MkI, instead I bought the MkII. I was attracted to the more compact size and lighter weight. I could tell that it would be much easier to travel around for all day shooting. I have had absolutely no problems with it, and the plastic mount is holding up just fine. To me, it has been an excellent kit lens which is a versatile performer for me. It also is a sharp kit lens.

Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote