Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Aug 10, 2010, 10:17 PM   #1

Default AF confirm adapters

I got my latest batch of goodies from KEH today and in it is an AF confirm 4/3rds mount for my Tamron Adaptall lenses. Wow. While I haven't had a chance to test it in the field yet I can say from just playing around in the house and studio it is awesome. Means I can even use them with the E-500 w/o worry since if it's not in focus the picture wont take. It'll be interesting to see if it goes bad like the one StevenR had (for OM?) but at $30 a pop getting a new one after awhile wouldn't be that big of a deal. Makes me think i need to look into a PK to 4/3rds one as well.

John
jelow1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 11, 2010, 1:08 AM   #2

Okay well I've found the one problem area for these things, low light. No surprise really since low light makes AF lenses hunt but doing some macro tests with the Tamron 35-80 on a 45mm extension tube with the 1.4 tc attached to it I couldn't get confirmation on anything past 5.6 or so (8 in reality). Easy enough to work around but a bit of a bummer none the less, it's sweet when you know the focus is spot on.

John
Old Aug 11, 2010, 7:52 PM   #3

Hi John: what brand did you get? Hope your's lasts longer than mine. I still use it, but only as a true manual without the focus light working. I do remember that it works best when you focus slowly when you get close to being in focus. There is a slight lag time between in-focus and the LED lighting up. IF you are turning your focus ring fast, you actually will be going a little past the focus point when the LED comes on. But when you get close to the point, just slow down and you will be right on the money when it lights up. Good luck and keep us informed.

Steven
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2010, 1:15 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven R View Post
Hi John: what brand did you get? Hope your's lasts longer than mine. I still use it, but only as a true manual without the focus light working. I do remember that it works best when you focus slowly when you get close to being in focus. There is a slight lag time between in-focus and the LED lighting up. IF you are turning your focus ring fast, you actually will be going a little past the focus point when the LED comes on. But when you get close to the point, just slow down and you will be right on the money when it lights up. Good luck and keep us informed.

Steven
It's a Pixco. No idea really what the quality will like longterm but for now it's great. You're right about the slow focus, i find that especially true with the e-500 since there is a shutter lag time and if I'm not careful I'll keep focusing while it takes the pic. One issue I've noticed is that it will sometimes take a picture no matter what the focus, but I've had that issue with my Sigma lens as well, sometimes the AF just stops. Removing and replacing the lens cures it. i don't think it's a problem with the adapter. Going to take some practice but in the end i think it'll be well worth the money and if KEH still has them i may get one for each of my Adaptall lenses.

John
Old Aug 18, 2010, 11:49 AM   #5

Does anyone here know why none of the AF confirm PK to 4/3rds dapters I can find say they will work with the E-1? What is different about it? The one I have for my Tamron lenses works just fine, with the E-1. I could use the pk one on the 500 but I don't like it's ISO800 and when using a 600/8 combo I need the higher ISOs.

John
Old Aug 18, 2010, 1:04 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelow1966 View Post
Does anyone here know why none of the AF confirm PK to 4/3rds dapters I can find say they will work with the E-1? What is different about it? The one I have for my Tamron lenses works just fine, with the E-1. I could use the pk one on the 500 but I don't like it's ISO800 and when using a 600/8 combo I need the higher ISOs.

John
Hi John,

My suspicion is that it is more a matter of omission as opposed to compatibility.
There are a couple of adapter makers on EBay that supply the Pentax PK to fourthirds AF adapter that go on to say that their adapter will fit ALL E-series fourthirds cameras. Since the E-1 is a bit long in the tooth, perhaps, they just omitted it.

zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2010, 3:45 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
Hi John,

My suspicion is that it is more a matter of omission as opposed to compatibility.
zig
Zig is right. All Oly 4/3rds cameras comply with the 4/3rds standards including the original E-1. The lens mount and the electronic sensor contacts are all the adapter cares about if it is one made to work with the 4/3 specs.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2010, 7:25 PM   #8

Thanks Steven and Zig but there is at least one seller on Ebay who states the adapter won't work on the 300 e-1 or l-1. The others list compatable models but never the 300 series or the E-1 so maybe you are right and they just figure no one uses them anymore. Probably worth a shot since it'll work on the 500 or any newer camera I get. Having used the one with the Tamron I'm sold on the idea, I had no idea how much nicer it'd be to have the focus confirmed, even if it does sometimes say it's in focus when it's not.

John
Old Aug 18, 2010, 7:50 PM   #9

Hi John,

I did some further hunting and pecking and remembered that John Foster, an englishman who maintains a website having to do with all things relevant to Olympus cameras did a very comprehensive series of tests relating to OM lenses on E-XXX series bodies-including the E-1. He then repeated the tests using OM lenses attached to a Dandelion auto-confirm adapter shortly after it's release.

Now, I realize that he's using OM lenses in this case vs your Pentax PK lenses. But, I can't for the life of me, see what the differences would be that could negatively impact using Pentax lenses on the E-1

Here is the link to his tests:http://www.biofos.com/cornucop/af_adapter.html

Hope this helps
Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2010, 10:23 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
Hi John,

I did some further hunting and pecking and remembered that John Foster, an englishman who maintains a website having to do with all things relevant to Olympus cameras did a very comprehensive series of tests relating to OM lenses on E-XXX series bodies-including the E-1. He then repeated the tests using OM lenses attached to a Dandelion auto-confirm adapter shortly after it's release.

Now, I realize that he's using OM lenses in this case vs your Pentax PK lenses. But, I can't for the life of me, see what the differences would be that could negatively impact using Pentax lenses on the E-1

Here is the link to his tests:http://www.biofos.com/cornucop/af_adapter.html

Hope this helps
Zig
Thanks Zig. Since they all come from China I wonder if the sellers just have never had an E-1 to test it on so they won't say it works. Like you say, it shouldn't matter if it's OM or PK.

John