Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Aug 16, 2010, 11:22 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post
So if I understand this correctly, you told him you were rescuing him but actually you decided it was a good opportunity to go trolling for orcas, right?

A superb lens that's priced between the two you mentioned, is the PL 14-150. If you can find one.

Ted
That sounds like a lens I'd like. There's a few around going for just under 600clams.
Saw that a guy in the UK had one for sale at 850 GBP. (approx $1000) and found that that was the going price there. Wonder if he'd trade for a 40-150.

Thanks for the comments guys
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2010, 6:29 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scouse View Post
That sounds like a lens I'd like. There's a few around going for just under 600clams.
Saw that a guy in the UK had one for sale at 850 GBP. (approx $1000) and found that that was the going price there. Wonder if he'd trade for a 40-150.
I've seen a lot of criticism about the price of the PL 14-150 but never, ever, from anyone who actually owns one. From time to time someone over at DPReview posts the question "If you only had one lens to take on a trip what would it be". And every time, we owners of the 14-150 chuckle and respond. It's a pricey lens but part of that is the aperture ring and moreover, the in-lens IS which a number of folks like because it adds IS to older Oly bodies (like the E500 or E3xx).

If you can get on for $600 you wouldn't regret it.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2010, 11:36 AM   #13

Ted, I hadn't realized that Oly made '2' 14-150 lens's
The PL and the ED it's the ED that's up for $600. The PL costs a "little" more.
Thanks though.
Old Aug 19, 2010, 6:22 AM   #14

Quote:
Ted, I hadn't realized that Oly made '2' 14-150 lens's
The PL and the ED it's the ED that's up for $600. The PL costs a "little" more.
Thanks though.
I didn't know that either - I'm not following the 4/3 development very closely. It turns out there actually are three 14-150 lenses - Panny makes a 4/3 version also.

I was referring to the original PL 4/3 lens (you can't use a 4/3 lens on a 4/3 body). Yes, the PL is expensive. However, note that it would give you image stabilization on the E-500, which together with the lens itself is probably cheaper than a new camera.

Ted

Last edited by tkurkowski; Aug 19, 2010 at 6:25 AM.
Old Aug 19, 2010, 4:12 PM   #15

Quote:
I didn't know that either - I'm not following the 4/3 development very closely. It turns out there actually are three 14-150 lenses - Panny makes a 4/3 version also.

I was referring to the original PL 4/3 lens (you can't use a 4/3 lens on a 4/3 body). Yes, the PL is expensive. However, note that it would give you image stabilization on the E-500, which together with the lens itself is probably cheaper than a new camera.

Ted
Don't think it hadn't crossed my mind.

Can't use a 4/3 lens on a 4/3 body......I'm not confused at all...
I can't keep up on their lenes or their designations either PL EL ZL FN
Old Aug 19, 2010, 4:34 PM   #16

Quote:
Can't use a 4/3 lens on a 4/3 body
Dunno if I can help this confusing area, but:

A 4/3 lens has a specific, required flange distance between the back of the lens and the imaging sensor. That distance includes the "extra" distance occupied by the reflex mirror.

A 4/3 lens is designed with a flange distance between the back of the lens and the imaging sensor, that is shorter because it does not need the distance occupied by a reflex mirror.

So this means that if you mount a 4/3 lens on a 4/3 body, the back of the lens ends up too close to the sensor to be able to focus at infinity. It can focus closer than infinity, but not at infinity. Oddly, lens owners don't find this acceptable.
That's why no reputable vendor has produced a 4/3 adapter for a 4/3 lens. The same is true of Canon legacy FD lenses on 4/3 bodies.

Does that help?

Ted

Last edited by tkurkowski; Aug 19, 2010 at 4:44 PM.
Old Aug 19, 2010, 8:53 PM   #17

Quote:
Dunno if I can help this confusing area, but:

A 4/3 lens has a specific, required flange distance between the back of the lens and the imaging sensor. That distance includes the "extra" distance occupied by the reflex mirror.

A 4/3 lens is designed with a flange distance between the back of the lens and the imaging sensor, that is shorter because it does not need the distance occupied by a reflex mirror.

So this means that if you mount a 4/3 lens on a 4/3 body, the back of the lens ends up too close to the sensor to be able to focus at infinity. It can focus closer than infinity, but not at infinity. Oddly, lens owners don't find this acceptable.
That's why no reputable vendor has produced a 4/3 adapter for a 4/3 lens. The same is true of Canon legacy FD lenses on 4/3 bodies.

Does that help?

Ted
I have a headache...!!!
Old Aug 19, 2010, 9:06 PM   #18

Quote:
I have a headache...!!!
It's easy to remember Scouse. You can use the regular 4/3rd lens on the new micro 4/3 cameras, but you can't use the micro 4/3 lens on the regular 4/3rds dslr cameras.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2010, 10:35 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven R View Post
It's easy to remember Scouse. You can use the regular 4/3rd lens on the new micro 4/3 cameras, but you can't use the micro 4/3 lens on the regular 4/3rds dslr cameras.
Is this math? I don't do math.
Old Aug 20, 2010, 6:49 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven R View Post
If I remember correctly, Ken is in the real estate business. So the way we should have explained it is: If you put a sailboat on a trailer and its total height is 8', you can't back it into a garage with a 7' high door opening.

Ted