Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Aug 15, 2010, 10:03 PM   #1

Default Island ferries

It's always fun on the Washington State Ferries always something to see from the occasional Orcas and Dolphins to just human watching. Some incredible scenery when you get out to the San Juan Islands. In the summer lots of blue sky.
This was just on the 15 minute trip back from Whidbey Island the other day back to the ferry landing and old lighthouse station at Mukilteo.
Attached Images

Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 15, 2010, 10:06 PM   #2

I sort of heartened to see I'm not the only one that has trouble getting white boats when the pic mostly is water and sky. I've tried awb, daylight, cloudy. Nothing helps except pp.
frank-in-toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2010, 6:36 AM   #3

The car carrying ferries are a familiar sights here on the Cape where they ferry people and their automobiles to the islands Martha's Vineyard and Nantucket.

I''ll be on one in a couple of weeks when my wife and I are headed to the Vineyard for a week. They offer a lot of Kodak moments when sitting on the top deck and people watching as well as enjoying the scenery.

Difference is our scenery is not nearly as rugged looking as yours.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2010, 6:37 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank-in-toronto View Post
I sort of heartened to see I'm not the only one that has trouble getting white boats when the pic mostly is water and sky. I've tried awb, daylight, cloudy. Nothing helps except pp.
You might try setting your contrast setting to -2 and see if that helps.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2010, 8:09 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
The car carrying ferries are a familiar sights here on the Cape where they ferry people and their automobiles to the islands Martha's Vineyard and Nantucket.
It's a staple in Toronto too, so much that you don't even notice them when you're by the lake (unless you're a visitor)...IOW nothing worth taking a photo of. Usually the one we have is used by passengers on foot...it's very rarely you see a car on one, although when I rode it last year there was a car on ours.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2010, 8:41 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank-in-toronto View Post
If you are referring to the first pic, I don't think there's a problem with the WB. The side of the boat is in shade and I think the blue color is simply the color of the light reflecting off of the blue water (the sun-lit front of the boat is white). So it may just be that our brains are saying the side should be white but the camera is telling the truth, saying No, it's not white, sorry.

Ted
tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2010, 9:36 AM   #7

I agree with Ted, as I see every bit of the sunlit is white.

boBB
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2010, 1:34 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkurkowski View Post
...The side of the boat is in shade and I think the blue color is simply the color of the light reflecting off of the blue water ...
Hey!. I think you're right. I looked back at some similar pictures I took this year and it's the same situation. Some parts are white as expected. Some have a blue tint. Thanks for helping out. I won't work so hard to try to fix it now.
frank-in-toronto is offline   Reply With Quote