Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Aug 21, 2010, 8:16 AM   #11

I'm continuing to have a bit of fun with this little lens.

One of the nice things about it that since it's so bright, it is a fairly easy process to get it into focus. Mind you, the viewfinder of the E-30 is larger than the E-4xx-5xx series bodies.

Another benefit is that this lens seems to produce a nice background.

Here are a couple of more images. They were taken in manual mode, ISO 200,
again, the aperture was stepped down on the lens after focusing wide open.

Zig
Attached Images

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2010, 11:14 AM   #12

Really nice shots there Ziggy. Those last to are exceptional.
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2010, 12:22 PM   #13

Glad to see you're enjoying it so much Zig. Like I've said many times, using old glass is fun. You're certainly getting great results with the lens

John
jelow1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2010, 12:31 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelow1966 View Post
Glad to see you're enjoying it so much Zig. Like I've said many times, using old glass is fun. You're certainly getting great results with the lens

John
Thanks Ken, Thanks John,

Much appreciate the kind words.

I'm sure you're having more fun using old glass with that E-1. Frankly, I was pretty frustrated with my E-500 and E-510 when it came to manually focusing.
The E-30 is a significant step forward. I can only imagine what the E-1 viewfinder offers as you can choose different focusing screens for it.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
Old Aug 21, 2010, 12:49 PM   #15

Good job zig, you got a bargain with that lens. How did you prop up the fishing fly? I don't see a clamp; or is it laying on it's side?

(and check out my question on ducks that I posted under John's flying dragonfly post. You know anything about ducks?)
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2010, 1:23 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
Thanks Ken, Thanks John,

Much appreciate the kind words.

I'm sure you're having more fun using old glass with that E-1. Frankly, I was pretty frustrated with my E-500 and E-510 when it came to manually focusing.
The E-30 is a significant step forward. I can only imagine what the E-1 viewfinder offers as you can choose different focusing screens for it.

Zig

Even with the standard screen it's an incredible difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven R View Post
Good job zig, you got a bargain with that lens. How did you prop up the fishing fly? I don't see a clamp; or is it laying on it's side?

(and check out my question on ducks that I posted under John's flying dragonfly post. You know anything about ducks?)
The fly looks to be superglued to me.

John
jelow1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2010, 2:14 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven R View Post

Hi Steven,

John hit right on the head! Good ol' Super Glue is the answer. It's amazing what you can do with that stuff.

Didn't catch the duck question. I'll take a look at it.

Zig

Old Aug 21, 2010, 3:43 PM   #18

So feeling inspired with all the legacy posts lately I dug out my old OM2 lens, Ziuko 50mm 1.4. Then wandered around Sharon's flowers on the deck.

Bad idea, I had to quit out of frustration and formatted my card in disgust. Just couldn't get the light right and it didn't make sense. Wide open at 1.4 the camera would shoot at 1/4,000 with a wash on the colour, not enough time for the sensor to register? or almost black with the same settings. DOF at minimun range is about 1/4 inch.
Lack of practice with my camera lately has just taken me out of decent photo taking.
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2010, 4:38 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scouse View Post
So feeling inspired with all the legacy posts lately I dug out my old OM2 lens, Ziuko 50mm 1.4. Then wandered around Sharon's flowers on the deck.

Bad idea, I had to quit out of frustration and formatted my card in disgust. Just couldn't get the light right and it didn't make sense. Wide open at 1.4 the camera would shoot at 1/4,000 with a wash on the colour, not enough time for the sensor to register? or almost black with the same settings.
Hi Ken,

Sorry to hear about your less than successful attempts with the OMZ 50mm 1.4.

I hafta tell you though, that I've forgotten how frustrated I used to get when, after reading a post, I too did the same thing and pulled out the E-500 or the E-510 mounted the 50mm 1.8 OMZ or perhaps the 135mm and then tried to take a bunch of photos only to view them on the desktop and see the lousy results. The E-30 is just so much easier to work with to get better results.

Here are some key differences,
First off the viewfinder is larger. Not as large and bright as the E-1 or the E-3.. But really larger than the E-5xx series.

The next feature that I think really makes a difference is the information in the viewfinder is displayed across the lower portion of the viewfinder instead on the right vertical side. With the e-500 and the E-510, I never even saw that info.

It is important to me, in that, I'm almost always shooting in manual mode. I just prefer manual. It's easy to see what you're doing, I can control all the settings easily and I can predict the result based on the info displayed on the viewfinder.

In manual mode, I can view an exposure graph across the lower portion of the viewfinder. It just tells me if my settings are going to over or under expose the shot. This, to me, is a great feature.

Next, the E-30, like the E-3 and the E-1 has the 2 control dials. One on the front and the other on the back. I use the back dial to adjust the shutter speed with the front dial controlling the aperture. This really it a whole lot easier to adjust, quickly and easily. Most times, I don't bother to take my eye off the viewfinder. Just adjust the appropriate dial.

Not to pour salt in a wound, but if you have not had an E-30 in your hand, it is really hard to appreciate how much of a difference these features all add up to making taking photographs a whole lot easier. I'm sure the E-1 and E-3 users feel the same way.

Zig

Old Aug 21, 2010, 8:38 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scouse View Post

Bad idea, I had to quit out of frustration and formatted my card in disgust. Just couldn't get the light right and it didn't make sense. Wide open at 1.4 the camera would shoot at 1/4,000 with a wash on the colour, not enough time for the sensor to register? or almost black with the same settings. DOF at mini mun range is about 1/4 inch.
Lack of practice with my camera lately has just taken me out of decent photo taking.
Ken: make sure that the meter setting is not on the spot highlight metering or it will wash out the exposure with the Oly 50mm. Likewise the spot Shadow setting will result in very dark exposure. I don't have an E-500, but I tested this afternoon after your post. I can replicate your symptoms with my E bodies if I use those two meter setting with the manual lens. I find it best to shoot manual lens in aperture mode, and adjust the iso or shutter speed as needed.

---I just remembered that I once had something similar happen once when shooting flowers in a park. When I changed to the manual lens, all the shots became very washed out and unusable. I cut the camera off, took off the lens and then put it back on. When I turned the camera back on the exposures were fine. I believe that the lens was not seated correctly and it threw something off.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote